Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much post to show?
Quote | Reply
I am kind of a big fella and when I bought my bike (61 cm) they put a MTB seatpost (330 mm) to make sure it was long enough. I have ridden this for four years with no problems, but I wanted to spring for a Carbon Fiber seatpost or lightweight aluminum to drop some weight. Problem is the longest road seatpost are 270mm.

Currently with 330 mm post, I have roughly 150 mm exposed and 175 mm inside the tube. If I went to a 270 mm post, I would only have 115 mm inside the tube. Is this enough? I am especially worried because a carbon post is more likely to snap off than a metal one.

Thanks.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: How much post to show? [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you only have 150mm exposed, a 270 would be plenty long. That being said, there are lots of extra long carbon road posts. I ride a TCR composite road bike, and have 230mm showing. I use a carbon Look Ergopost2 (which is 330mm long), but there are lots of other options. Compact geometry bikes are getting more and more common, and they require loooong posts.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How much post to show? I am kind of a big fella...

Sorry, but I couldn't resist this header and lead-in...

The simple answer is to wear some compression shorts and hold it all in. I think you'll get DQ'd if you show any post at all.

;-b
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the fringes of this subject, am I just seeing things in thinking that some bikes' geometry tends to end up with generally less post showing when correctly set up for a cross-section of riders? (obviously ignoring sloping compacts here)

In particular, looking at Cannondale's road bikes (in publicity shots and in real life) to my eye they seem to generally show a little less post than, say, comparable Treks?

Or maybe it's just a lifetime of me thinking that other people have bigger protrusions than I do...? :-)
Quote Reply