Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much of your bike time do you spend on your race bike?
Quote | Reply
If you are riding 3-4 times a week do you do all of your rides on your TT/Tri bike. I find my Zone 1 and 2 rides are much easier to complete on my road bike and my race intensity rides are done on my TT/Tri bike. Do you all spend more or less time on your dedicated race bike?
Quote Reply
Re: How much of your bike time do you spend on your race bike? [bikerdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25% on the TT bike, 75% on the road bike
Quote Reply
Re: How much of your bike time do you spend on your race bike? [bikerdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having 1 bike, which is a time trial bike, means that all of my training and racing is done on the same machine ...... I've been racing for 13 years and don't figure that I need to ride a different geometry in training than what I race on. Maybe if I had a road bike to compare it to I'd think otherwise but I don't think that my wife would go for it. I figure that my priority for a second bike to train on would be a mountain bike anyway for a variety of riding and for crappy weather.
Quote Reply
Re: How much of your bike time do you spend on your race bike? [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Scott just commented on this in the latest issue of Inside Triathlon.

He recommends that you train in your base period on your road bike and then build on the tri race bike. His theory is that by you need to build your glutes (butt) first. You utilized more of your glutes on a road bike than a tri bike.

On the other hand, Chris Lieto attributes his strong bike to training with roadies. And I'm sure he's not doing it on a tri bike. He's probably using that compact Litespeed he used at Cali 1/2.
Quote Reply
Re: How much of your bike time do you spend on your race bike? [TriRABI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do 95% of my early season miles on my road bike and 99% of my miles on my road bike once during the season. This summer will be different as I'm waiting for my custom TT frame to arrive. When built I'll ride it 2-3 hrs a week on the trainer to dial in the positioning. Once dialed in, back to the road bike

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off season, I do nearly all my riding on the road bike: 3-5 sessions per week, only 1 on the tri-bike (quality or BT work). As I transition to more race specific prep, I shift my riding to the tri bike. I'm now riding the tri-bike 3-4 times per week, and the road bike only once per week on the easy recovery ride. But all my racing is going to be on the tri bike this year. If I were doing road races, I'd probably split the workouts evenly between them, riding the tri-bike for the BT workout and the long weekend bike, and the road bike for the 2 hour easy recovery and a 2-3 hour tempo or quality ride.
Quote Reply
Re: How much of your bike time do you spend on your race bike? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost all road bike. I go out on the TT bike very rarely and usually just to make sure back muscles stay limber in aero posn.
I have the geometries of the two bikes set very close to each other. (ie. I don't ride super steep on my TT bike.)

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in the off season, it's all road bike (it's very cold and very sloppy around where i live in the winter). in the spring/summer/early fall, i try to do at least 1 long ride (2.5 hrs. +) per week on my tri bike if the weather's nice and the roads are dry. otherwise, road bike. i guess i should also mention my road bike is a frame i built up with extra parts. not exactly a colnago c-40 or anything :) the tri bike, on the other hand, is a different story...

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of my long rides are on the tri bike... all hill and speed work is on the road bike. At 4 weeks out for IM and less for other A races I shift to the tri bike - more and more - until the last 2 weeks it is the only bike I see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
October through February, it was all road bike. Starting in March, I switched one, faster paced ride to the TT bike. Now, I'm riding the race bike almost exclusively, with the occasional recovery ride on the roadie, and a few fun rides on the Mtn bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like I'm the odd guy on this one. Tri bike 100% of the time. Even the trainer bike is set-up the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100%. I just sold my 2 road bikes because I found it a hassle to have extra bikes to maintain. truth is I love my tri bike so much it's hard to imagine wanting to ride something else. if the weather is nasty then it's probably a swim day anyway. I have found the climbing adjustment to the steep position to require some work (5-6 weeks 3x a week seemed to do it) so I'd be afraid to spend too much time off the tri bike at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: How much of your bike time do you spend on your race bike? [TriRABI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year, I did most of my early season training on my road bike, and then switched over to riding my tri bike most of the time by the end of the season (training for a late season 1/2 IM). This year, I have ridden my tri bike almost exclusively for all of my training.

I had just been thinking that the difference I feel between this year and last year was that I don't feel like I'm using my glutes as much, so while I am fitter than last year, I don't think I'm any faster. Then I saw that Q&A from Dave Scott in IT, where he said basically the same thing.

So now my plan is to switch and do a couple of my weekly rides on my road bike. My power-based interval work will still be on my tri bike (that's where the PowerTap is), as will my long rides, but all of my other rides will be on either the road bike or the mountain bike until probably a month out from my A race (IM Wisconsin).

Carol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of my riding is done with a roadie group. They really push so I'm convinced I get a better work out than riding solo. Don't really ride the tri bike all that much except for races and usually one hour long training ride per week. In contrast I probably spend six or seven hours a week on the road bike.
Quote Reply