Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much of an aero drag are clip on TT bars when you dont use them?
Quote | Reply
Seems obvious that if you have clip on bars (like on a gravel bike) but only use them a bit of a course; then its an aero drag the rest of the time
The reason I ask if I have started doing these ultra rides; where you travel 1000km and your gun time is your time; sleeping is optional
The fast guys are doing sub 40hrs - it’s very impressive
Clearly average speeds are low; its basically a test of eating and trying not to slow down
Almost everyone has aero bars; but you are not in an aggressive position at all
I cant work out if these bars are actually a net drawback given you only use for a relatively small part of the course (say 15% max)

What do the experts here think?
Last edited by: bespoke: Oct 6, 19 6:41
Quote Reply
Re: How much of an aero drag are clip on TT bars when you dont do them? [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that it's not just an aero consideration, but also the ability to relax the upper body and shift where you're supporting weight.

One of my friends who does bikepacking events threw aerobars on his mountain bike not to go faster, but because he trashed his ulnar nerves on one trip and it took months to regain full use of his hands.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Oct 6, 19 6:36
Quote Reply
Re: How much of an aero drag are clip on TT bars when you dont do them? [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed; thats the common answer that if you are riding 50-70 hrs its nice to have some positional changes
I just wondered what the actual drag was; bear in mind you can have big bento boxes; and a 10-15litre saddle bag as well for all your stuff
These bikes end up looking like cart horses
I have to think that some smart equipment choices can pay dividends over such a long duration
Quote Reply
Re: How much of an aero drag are clip on TT bars when you dont do them? [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bespoke wrote:
Indeed; thats the common answer that if you are riding 50-70 hrs its nice to have some positional changes
I just wondered what the actual drag was; bear in mind you can have big bento boxes; and a 10-15litre saddle bag as well for all your stuff
These bikes end up looking like cart horses
I have to think that some smart equipment choices can pay dividends over such a long duration

This is how Pete Pensyres really invented the aero position....was during RAAM

Quote Reply
Re: How much of an aero drag are clip on TT bars when you dont use them? [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't Xavier just post a thread about him getting a pretty low cda with just clip ons? I know he was shooting for that specific goal and focused his equipment/clothing choice around it, but the big advantage in aero is getting narrower. anyhow, point I am getting at is if they're there why wouldn't you use them? It's likely way more comfortable (#1 reason it seems most run them), it's faster, and it's likely that the other crap hanging off their bikes is a better place to look for aero gains than some clip ons (as stated above).

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: How much of an aero drag are clip on TT bars when you dont do them? [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
Keep in mind that it's not just an aero consideration, but also the ability to relax the upper body and shift where you're supporting weight.

Yeah this

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: How much of an aero drag are clip on TT bars when you dont use them? [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like clips for this sort of setup because it gives extra space to clamp stuff too. I don't like big bar bags for the way they affect handling and bigger frame bags can present a challenge with bottle cage access. So using a front mount hydration system (either for hydration or so store food) provides an extra option. I also run light mounted to the extensions.

Personally my position is such that the any wind hitting the bars is going to hit my body anyway so I suspect the aero cost is very small.
Quote Reply
Re: How much of an aero drag are clip on TT bars when you dont use them? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
Didn't Xavier just post a thread about him getting a pretty low cda with just clip ons? I know he was shooting for that specific goal and focused his equipment/clothing choice around it, but the big advantage in aero is getting narrower. anyhow, point I am getting at is if they're there why wouldn't you use them? It's likely way more comfortable (#1 reason it seems most run them), it's faster, and it's likely that the other crap hanging off their bikes is a better place to look for aero gains than some clip ons (as stated above).

Slowtwitch is very prescient :D we have time booked in the tunnel in a week to do exactly this - looking at bikepacking/touring/gravel setups with frame bags, clipons, handlebar bags, panniers the lot. I’ll post it on here when we’re done

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:

I did the Ride London Sportive in August where aero bars were not allowed so had to remove them from my bike - I really missed them more than I thought I would, and that was just from a comfort standpoint...
Quote Reply