Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive?
Quote | Reply
Marble Falls over the weekend.

2014:
Sprint 108
Oly 137
Half 160
Full 16

2013:
Sprint 181
Oly 204
Half 223
Full 35

Looks like Napa Valley pulled similar numbers as 2013. Naples as well. Ocala short course numbers were similar to 2013, long course numbers down significantly.

This is year 3 for HITS and they certainly haven't grown and the four races this year have shown a down trend from the prior year.

If I were them I'd completely give up on the long course races and concentrate on the short stuff but even then I'm not sure there's money to be made on the short course racing for a national level company.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know how long they'll last but seems like you have an excellent chance of being on an AG podium in a full!
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been wondering about them, too. I've been wanting to do one of their events (I actually like the idea of only having 16 full distance competitors) but it hasn't fit into the schedule/vacation plans. I'm on their e-mail lists and it seems even that has become a bit quieter over the last 6 months or so. I really want to see some of these organizations do well, as having choices benefits us as consumers. But, with HITS' lack of growth and Rev 3's move away from pro purses and loss of the West Virginia race, it seems like the cost/benefit analysis of a traveling, nationwide series isn't working in too many organization's favor. You can go down the list and see some pretty obvious trends:

HITS - no growth.
Rev 3 - no more pro purses, WV out. Had already lost Portland. Mexico expansion has potential?
Toughman - continues to expand with new races - worth watching.
Challenge - continuing to expand in North America. Since their U.S. races haven't run yet, still need to see how things shake out.
Leadman - initially seemed like this had the potential to have more races, but seem to have settled in with Tempe and Bend. Not sure if this is good or not.

Of course, this is n=1 perception. Please tell me I'm wrong on much of this and all is well!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Last edited by: Travis R: Apr 28, 14 6:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the sprint the first year it started in Corpus. Was very disappointed with the .76 cent finisher medal they gave away for the amount of money I paid for a sprint race. I understand it was their first year. MIGHT have gone back but they did away with Corpus race. Not work traveling further than that for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought HITS ran a good race. Not WTC quality, or even some of the premier local race quality, but definitely worth the price of admission I paid. The RD was great to.

I guess at the end of the day, there really isn't much demand for national level third parties. So my only hope is that some of the local races remain.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did HITS MF70.3 over the weekend and was impressed by what I experienced. Reading past posts about the race I didnt know what to expect...Ive heard the bike course was horrible with cattle guards and rough spots and very little support. It seems they have been listening and have catered to requests. The swim was simple and well marked....water was very clear....I would say 4-5 feet of visibility looking down. Bike course roads were very nice and smooth. They did a good job of keeping traffic away from the competitors except for a few obvious stretches. It was marked well and support was very acceptable to me. The bike course was very hilly and very challenging to maintain a steady power. Run course was out n back with plenty of support but also...very hilly and very challenging. The folks were very pleasant and helpful and I hope it catches some steam in the next few years....they really seem to want to work out the kinks and get the perfect race together. Unfortunately Marble Falls is having a remodeling project on their major bridge and this affects the course layout for sure...and I am sure some picky people just will not have the patience for that.

ALSO: Its a HARD ASS course! not a fast course.....and I believe most people want a FAST course so they can get their times down.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cattle guards were only there on the first year, I think - I did the sprint last year and the half this year, and didn't hit any either time. And a course in Marble Falls will never be fast. Their local tri is called "the one with the hills".

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [gonzaleziam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gonzaleziam wrote:
Did the sprint the first year it started in Corpus. Was very disappointed with the .76 cent finisher medal they gave away for the amount of money I paid for a sprint race. I understand it was their first year. MIGHT have gone back but they did away with Corpus race. Not work traveling further than that for me.

so you 'race' for medals and not course quality, support, and proper timing? just go buy a medal on ebay and run some laps around your house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The HITS company (which is HUGE in the Equestrian community) has plenty of money. So the question is not how long they can survive, but rather, how long will they be willing to continue producing triathlons if they keep attracting the current or similar number of athletes.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think one of their biggest issues with Marble Falls is the timing of when they hold the event. It is three weeks after Galveston 70.3 and three weeks before IMTX.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey synthetic calm down. A nice commemorative medal is always appreciated especially for my first triathlon ever. And I was not the only person that thought the same thing. It was a well put on event unfortunately a friend was hit by a car on the bike course. Luckily, he wasn't hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just don't think there's room for them in the market. You can't just create 7 events and expect them all to be world class or have a big draw. There's at least a dozen full and 1/2 distance races on my bucket list(and more that I'd like to do again) and I don't travel for short course. I have nothing against HITS, but I have absolutely no reason to go to one of their races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Look at a case study of Rev3 vs HITS both race companies that went "national".

Rev3 offered huge prize purses to entice "named" athletes to race and get their name out there in media. I don't know but I've never heard of pros' doing HITS races.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my first time racing a HITS event (raced the half as well this weekend) and I completely agree with everything you said. I was concerned about knowing the course beforehand which Mark Wilson, the RD, can attest to because I emailed him back and forth a few times beforehand. He was very helpful and got back to me quickly, plus it turns out there was no need for concern because it was well marked, all of the bike mile markers were spot on, and there were volunteers at the turn-arounds. I believe some things could have been communicated a little bit better beforehand (or perhaps the athlete guide could've been sent out earlier), but overall I'm honestly impressed with the whole thing. It was a good, challenging course. I'm really surprised more people don't race them.

Quote | Reply
Russaggie wrote:
I think one of their biggest issues with Marble Falls is the timing of when they hold the event. It is three weeks after Galveston 70.3 and three weeks before IMTX.

Galveston is moved to April 26 2015.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect they'll do fine.

The Half distance runs concurrently as the full, so they're not losing much by putting on the full - it's just a few more hours of course time on top of the fixed expenses.

Also, a lot of people sign up but don't show on race day - at Napa last year, over half the HIM spots were empty. (You can tell because they reserve stools with your name/number on them in transition - half my rack was empty.)

It's also a much more low key event - which I like. No big schwag bag, no big party - very minimal food, even less than that of the local sprints I've done here in Norcal. Just racing, no fuss, no muss. I do hope the continue though.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DamonHenry wrote:
Russaggie wrote:

Which is the same weekend that they are doing Marble Falls next year.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
The HITS company (which is HUGE in the Equestrian community) has plenty of money.

They are a large producer of jumping horse shows. HITS (Horse shows In The Sun). Weird name.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I suspect they'll do fine.

The Half distance runs concurrently as the full, so they're not losing much by putting on the full - it's just a few more hours of course time on top of the fixed expenses.

Also, a lot of people sign up but don't show on race day - at Napa last year, over half the HIM spots were empty. (You can tell because they reserve stools with your name/number on them in transition - half my rack was empty.)

It's also a much more low key event - which I like. No big schwag bag, no big party - very minimal food, even less than that of the local sprints I've done here in Norcal. Just racing, no fuss, no muss. I do hope the continue though.

And I think that's the niche they're going for--two tiers down in production value from WTC and Rev3 and a more mom-and-pop feel. I didn't mind not having "name" pros at HITS NV . . . hell, the winner was being paced by a coach on an MTB when I saw him on the out-and-back run.

But if they could take COJO's advice and build courses where AG'ers have a shot at a PR (as opposed to Marble Falls and a hilly course (bike AND run) with poor roads in Napa), HITS would thrive. Sad but true.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you are talking about for Napa 2014. They sold out the Sprint/Olympic.

Sprint 408
Olympic 357

Have done it 3 years in a row, and signed up for next year.

Great hard solid course early in the season. What is the issue?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [Russaggie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Russaggie wrote:
DamonHenry wrote:
Russaggie wrote:

Which is the same weekend that they are doing Marble Falls next year.

Galveston in early April sure was preferable. Do you know if the move a one year thing to avoid Easter? The move probable takes it off my schedule.

Where is confirmation of the Marble Falls 2015 date?
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Not sure what you are talking about for Napa 2014. They sold out the Sprint/Olympic.

Sprint 408
Olympic 357

Actually, makes you wonder if hey should run a 2x bigger field on two different weekends, one for the sprints and the other for Olys, if their selling both out.

I would still be hesitant to do a full here, just because you'd be so lonely on the course. But it's def true odds of podiuming here are higher!
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what's going to happen with Galveston after 2015 since IMTX is moving up on the calendar.

As for the date of HITS MF 2015, I asked the RD in the Marble Falls 2013 thread that was revived leading up to this past weekend and that's when he said it was going to be.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [Russaggie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know a date for IMTX 2015?
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Sprint 408
Olympic 357

And 365 and 311 in 2013. Like I said, similar numbers.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next