Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much is too much for a tri suit?
Quote | Reply
I got an email today announcing a new aero tri suit. Nice looking. Got to the website and the price is... $400 USD. Leaving aside the fact that's about $535 of my dollars, does anyone else have a threshold where the answer is 'no way' regardless of how nice it is? Am I just missing something and that's the normal cost of a sleeved tri suit now?
Quote Reply
Re: How much is too much for a tri suit? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally wouldn’t spend >$200 usd on a tri suit.

But as with any gear, there is no upper limit for some people who want to feel like they are getting the best money could buy (enve, sram axs, shiv disc/P5x, etc, etc)

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its all about what you perceive the value to be. If you don't think its worth it , its not. Its no different than a bike, wetsuit, running shoes or try watch. I have seen one or two suits where I thought 'only if they sponsor me'. :)

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question is for someone to ask themselves if they spent $200 on a tri-suit and $200 on a few 1:1 swim sessions (or equivalent) then how much time would they save from each.

If you're at the pointy end then the $200 marginal may be a tiny drop in the ocean of spend per year on coaching, swim squads, wind tunnel, etc etc. Equally, for some of us that competed as youngsters when we were really scrimping and using old kit, bottom end bikes, etc, and now have a few grey hairs and disposable $ then it's kinda nice to have the choice.

I've wasted thousands on top end wetsuits in the past, so $400 for a tri-suit is not that outrageous. Indeed because of where I live with import duties I ended up paying more than $500 for a de soto 2 piece tri-suit. And to me that was not at all a waste as I had 100% knowledge that I was going to be comfortable on bike and run. Put another way, I'd not take $300 if it meant 30km of scrotal chafing.
Quote Reply
Re: How much is too much for a tri suit? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d say over $200. Quality name brand kits can be had for under $200. No reason to spend $400 on a Wattie, unless you have money to burn. Even if you have the money, you still have to think of alternative uses.

I’d rather spend a little more on a quality jersey and bib, since it will get a lot of use and be seen on group rides. Trisuits are used at races and I can tell you that all athletes train more than they race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's simple unless you have a compelling reason after aero testing ( chunging or tunnel) anything that's more expensive than velotec is money not wisely invested.
Personally for iron-man cycle speedsuits are an better investment as they give you more races as material tends to be thicker and holds form better. And chances are good that the bit you lose in transition you get back on the bike...
I have a bioracer cycling speedsuit that after 20 uses holds form much better than an LG aero suit after 5 uses for instance.
So if you think about value that's something to consider how long will it work well ( you can of course go to a tailor and for not big money custom fit again a suit which personally I think is a great value addition in any case)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I paid $225 for a Zoot Carbon Tri suit and really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was on the fence regarding getting a De Soto Forza, but couldn't find any in stock. The ones that were in my size were super lame colors (like flags and longboard surfboard). I surf, but that shit looks dumb. Looks like a Masters men tri suit for the avid longboarder at Swamis.

I was willing to go up to $300 or so maybe $400.

I held 59.7mi at 23mph in the Zoot Carbon suit on Saturday. It feels pretty fast and fits me well. 100% worth it.

I needed something for 4/14 Florida 70.3 and the June Boulder 140.6. I heard the run was hot in the latter, so this suit looked like a good cooling suit as well.

Also, Colorado is quite a way from me (I'm going to drive it from the east coast) and if I go all that way and bonk the run because of overheating or some shit due to a wardrobe malfunction, fuck yeah I would fork over an extra $100 bucks. But, this suit seems to do the job.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fortunate to have a connection, but to me the suit is one of the most important things I buy. Oddly people cut costs there, yet have huge budgets on saddles, wheels, and who knows what the latest go fast item is. My tri suit is the only thing I use for the entire day and it had better be right. The technical qualities in the one I use are greatly appreciated late in the race and it serves as more than just a billboard and cover for my nether regions as most suits now do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$300 Max for me
Quote Reply
Re: How much is too much for a tri suit? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:

I was on the fence regarding getting a De Soto Forza, but couldn't find any in stock. The ones that were in my size were super lame colors (like flags and longboard surfboard). I surf, but that shit looks dumb. Looks like a Masters men tri suit for the avid longboarder at Swamis.

I was willing to go up to $300 or so maybe $400.

I held 59.7mi at 23mph in the Zoot Carbon suit on Saturday. It feels pretty fast and fits me well. 100% worth it.

I needed something for 4/14 Florida 70.3 and the June Boulder 140.6. I heard the run was hot in the latter, so this suit looked like a good cooling suit as well.

Also, Colorado is quite a way from me (I'm going to drive it from the east coast) and if I go all that way and bonk the run because of overheating or some shit due to a wardrobe malfunction, fuck yeah I would fork over an extra $100 bucks. But, this suit seems to do the job.

Is this the same one?

If so there is a other ad for $115

Zoot Men's Ultra Short Sleeve Aero Tri Jersey - Performance Triathlon Top with Carbon Fiber and 2 Pockets (Medium) https://www.amazon.com/..._api_i_B2W0CbZW39MAV
Quote Reply
Re: How much is too much for a tri suit? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s just the Jersey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me #1 is comfort. And I wouldn’t really put a price on that (within reason).

I want a kit that lets me ride comfortably without chafing, won’t be a drag in the water, dries quickly, and disappears on the run.

If that’s $100 great. If it’s $300 then I’m willing to pay that. We spend thousands on our bike, hundreds on entry fees, etc. so spending coin to be comfortable is a no brainer for me.

That being said if a $150 is just as comfortable as a $400 then the cheaper one all day long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paid around $160 for a custom kit from Innerforce. Can’t see paying anymore than that. It served me well last weekend during a 70.3 event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
How much is too much for a tri suit?

I purchased a a tri suit for $90 and that was too much.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I paid ~$250 for the DeSoto Riviera Flisuit and have been very satisfied with it. For me, it was expensive, but not overpriced. Of course, much depends on how much money you have to spend and what you want.
Quote Reply
Re: How much is too much for a tri suit? [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to buy one from Wattie Ink but it’s $400. Too much!! I will pay up to $300
Quote Reply
Re: How much is too much for a tri suit? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:

I bought the same exact Zoot Carbon Tri Suit direct from Zoot for $135.00 back in March. I've used in training twice, including a warm-ish 56 mile Bike/ 5 mile Run and it was great. I always visit the manufacturer website of any product I'm looking to buy, and just wait for the email when there is a sale. This particular Zoot suit was also on 1 day only Cinco flash sale this past Sunday for a 1-day flash sale @ 55% off!! You gotta pay attention people!!

Whether it's this Zoot Ultr Tri Carbon Aero suit, or a Kiwami Spider LD Aero, they all usually go on sale at some point. So for me it's not a matter of am I willing to buy a $200/ $300 or $400 for a tri suit; but am I willing to pay full retail. And the answer for me is "No". I'll either wait till Black Friday, which is when the best Kiwami sales are, or wait for an email from the manufacturer announcing a sale or clearance. You can also find excellent deals and new arrivals weekly on Swim Outlet - https://www.swimoutlet.com/...athlon-suits-c11350/

I've also gotten a Roka Viper Elite Swim skin for almost half-off direct from Roka. I waited for an email notifying of a sale, and then I used a $50 of Strava reward. Strava had a silly monthly mileage challenge and if you met it you got a $50 Roka credit. Why the hell wouldn't I do that since I use a Roka wetsuit and was going to buy a Roka swimskin anyway??

Also in fairness, I have noticed with Wattie that not all of there suits go on sale because some styles (usually cycling-specific stuff) just sell out, or they don't put them on sale. But even Wattie has early Spring clearance sales and there kits are very well made. Earlier this year some of Wattie's 2018 Tri Suits were on clearance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here yah go, just got an email from Wattie on Spring clearance sale. Here's a speed suit $400 marked down to $240! I actually have this collection in the cycling jersey/ tri short combo and love it. You do have to like a minimal chamois pad though.

https://www.wattieink.com/...ariant=2207318343704
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless I'm part of a team that gets a discount (Zoot for 2019) or have a code (a lot will give you one for email signup) I wait for the previous year models to go on sale.
I can't stomach more than $150 for a tri suit.
I also can't handle more than $30 for a pair of jeans.

Clothing isn't my thing... but N+1 bikes and you got me.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just spent $300 (after tax) on a 2xU suit. The last one i bought was in 2012, so if i can get another 7 years out of this one that's only $43/year. Or about $6 per race. I spend more on energy gels and drinks per event than that.

Saying that, $300 is about my limit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
I got an email today announcing a new aero tri suit. Nice looking. Got to the website and the price is... $400 USD. Leaving aside the fact that's about $535 of my dollars, does anyone else have a threshold where the answer is 'no way' regardless of how nice it is? Am I just missing something and that's the normal cost of a sleeved tri suit now?

I buy all my gear used on eBay, so my upper limit is about $30.

Have you checked out Love The Pain? I hear they have some nice kits. Lol.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just going by the thread title alone, the correct answer is "white".

White is always too much.
Quote Reply
Re: How much is too much for a tri suit? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends.
My last one i got last year 2XU the top line one for around 200$ (on sale). So first of all i would never buy a trisuit at market price, they drop so fast each year that i would rather just wait for a sale. Sadly the pad is not 100% perfect as it was in my old 2XU suit, so if you told me i could pay 50$ more for the better comfort all else equal i would not hesitate right now. But in general 200$ is the limit as i will just buy last years version cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: How much is too much for a tri suit? [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
For me #1 is comfort. And I wouldn’t really put a price on that (within reason).

I want a kit that lets me ride comfortably without chafing, won’t be a drag in the water, dries quickly, and disappears on the run.

If that’s $100 great. If it’s $300 then I’m willing to pay that. We spend thousands on our bike, hundreds on entry fees, etc. so spending coin to be comfortable is a no brainer for me.

That being said if a $150 is just as comfortable as a $400 then the cheaper one all day long.
I'm with this school of thought 100%... my Kiwami kit (Spider) is in the upper range of what I'd be comfortable paying... but it is everything I want in a kit. So for me that's the ceiling, I'm not paying anymore than I need to for a kit.
Quote Reply