Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much does sun affect your desire to ride?
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm weird, but I've realized that specifically clear skies makes me WANT to ride, and cloudy skies makes me feel like I'm forcing myself to ride.

Though I think everyone enjoys a sunny day over a cloudy one, this seems pronounced with riding for me. I can run in pretty much any weather.

Full disclosure: I'm not training for anything, so I'm pretty much exercising for general fitness and can do a variety of things. I tend to ride when I enjoy it, and do something else when I don't feel like riding.

Can anyone relate?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: How much does sun affect your desire to ride? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may be my soul-brother. I live in an RV for this reason. Our RV

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally. And I can’t really ride below anything under 50° I would prefer 80° and up.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend to roll on the bike based on the hard data. % chance precip, low or high temp combined with humidity, sunrise and sunset. Does me no good if it is sunny but 30degF and a ripping wind versus cloudy and 50degF with zero wind.

Best I can describe it I'm a rider that can deal with limited combos of "evils" at a time:
-precip
-temp
-day/night

Precip? Needs to be warm and daytime. Cold? Needs to be dry and daytime. Night time? Needs to be dry and pleasant temp.

Just over time I realized that if more than one of those has conspired against me at a time.......I didn't enjoy it.

I highly prefer outdoors over Zwift. I only Zwift once a week or less when "in season". I'll do intervals outside. But when the avg temp during day drops under 50 for the high and the precip in winter gears up..........I'm mostly indoors unless we get a good week.
Quote Reply
Re: How much does sun affect your desire to ride? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I tend to roll on the bike based on the hard data. % chance precip, low or high temp combined with humidity, sunrise and sunset. Does me no good if it is sunny but 30degF and a ripping wind versus cloudy and 50degF with zero wind.

Best I can describe it I'm a rider that can deal with limited combos of "evils" at a time:
-precip
-temp
-day/night

Precip? Needs to be warm and daytime. Cold? Needs to be dry and daytime. Night time? Needs to be dry and pleasant temp.

Just over time I realized that if more than one of those has conspired against me at a time.......I didn't enjoy it.

I highly prefer outdoors over Zwift. I only Zwift once a week or less when "in season". I'll do intervals outside. But when the avg temp during day drops under 50 for the high and the precip in winter gears up..........I'm mostly indoors unless we get a good week.

I just started mountain biking, which really helps with the cold and wind. Normally I'd ride between 10 and 20 mph (uphills vs downhills) out on open roads. On a mountain bike, that's more like 3 to 10 mph, all in the woods. It cuts the windchill factor way down.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sun being out defo helps. But it's not a deal breaker (in England you can't be that choosy!)

What I think (for me) the sun does is just make it EASIER to get out when a chance occurs - when its warm and dry, there's just less faffing on deciding which clothing, long or short sleeve, 3/4 bibs, don't need a rain coat, dont need shoe covers etc etc. And also I know I won't be cleaning the bike for an hour after grabbing a cheeky 1 hour lunchtime ride when its dry.

Come winter (England so thats zero to 7 or 8 degrees C and variable wetness) 19 times out of 20 its the mountain bike as I can more readily carry extra kit in the Camelbak, and as said Its slower so less wind chill. Also smart route choices can reduce the exposure (rain and wind ? Into woods and old drovers tracks that are sheltered rather than an open hillside). I can ride out from my door too so no need to lose an hour driving somewhere. But definitely it has to be planned as the kit isn't just ready to go and the weather on the day dictates what to wear.

Roll on May time and some vitamin D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right there with you. I'm good for about 3 rides in the rain per winter. No way am I heading to the 0730 group ride when it's at most 32 out. Especially when I can leave my house at 1000 and it's 55 out.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be surprised if anyone DOESN'T feel this way (more motivated to ride with sun than without.)

I won't even go out now if it's threatening to rain, or looks very cloudy. Fortunately, such weather is unusual here in Norcal.

I'll also admit that Zwift group rides has further reduced my willigness to ride outdoors in non-optimal weather. Zwift group rides like the ongoing Tour De Zwift as well as the large fondos are just a lot of fun to ride in! I actually don't race any of them all-out (anymore), I just do my scheduled 90-120+min workouts with them and just ride with various packs. If I have planned intervals on my workout, I just do them, and don't worry if the pack I'm with drops me - I just fall back into another one.

I rode outdoors this past weekend at my typical earlier hour, and greatly missed all those fellow riders that motivate you and keep it interesting them whole time.

But for sure, if it's lovely warm weather with sun outdoors, it's outdoors all the way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of the opposite. Dark, stormy days make me itch to get out and ride - especially winter snowstorms but rainy cold miserable days as well. My ‘cross bike and lots of goretex and lights. Then the rest of the day in a hot bath and binging Netflix under a heavy duvet.

Not just riding but the same for running, skiing, sailing, etc - seems like I just get going when the weather gets wild...
Quote Reply
Re: How much does sun affect your desire to ride? [insulinpowered] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
insulinpowered wrote:
Kind of the opposite. Dark, stormy days make me itch to get out and ride - especially winter snowstorms but rainy cold miserable days as well. My ‘cross bike and lots of goretex and lights. Then the rest of the day in a hot bath and binging Netflix under a heavy duvet.

Not just riding but the same for running, skiing, sailing, etc - seems like I just get going when the weather gets wild...

Heh - maybe that's where I'm going wrong. With the young kid to supervise and all the housework that has to be done, there is no lounging post-workout for me! At best it's a 20-40 minute nap, and then gotta get things done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Maybe I'm weird, but I've realized that specifically clear skies makes me WANT to ride, and cloudy skies makes me feel like I'm forcing myself to ride.

Though I think everyone enjoys a sunny day over a cloudy one, this seems pronounced with riding for me.

No, I'm the opposite. The only bad thing about cloudy days is if they mean rain, but gray skies - love it. I can't stand very sunny days for going out myself, though I know I'm probably in the minority.

EDIT TO ADD: When I was serious about bike racing, I liked intermittent, very light rain. I could handle it with the right clothes, and knew other people could not and would skip or or ride less. Just enough precip to worry people.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Jan 19, 21 17:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was training for IM or for something like B2VT, I’d ride regardless of the weather so that I knew I could handle it on the day of the event. Now, if it’s raining out I’ll spin in the basement instead. I still get caught in the rain on occasion which is fine, but where my rides now are for fitness/fun it’s more flexible.

I don’t mind the cold so much this time of year. We haven’t had much snow (only two storms so far) and had some good rain recently that washed away the salt residue and sand that was still on the sides of the roads, so I’ve been able to bundle up and get outside a few times where temps have been in the 30s.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: How much does sun affect your desire to ride? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Right there with you. I'm good for about 3 rides in the rain per winter. No way am I heading to the 0730 group ride when it's at most 32 out. Especially when I can leave my house at 1000 and it's 55 out.

Spoken like a true Tucsonian here. Never got this either. For the love of warm hands, would it kill them to start The Shootout a little later?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Jan 19, 21 20:28
Quote Reply
Re: How much does sun affect your desire to ride? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
The sun being out defo helps. But it's not a deal breaker (in England you can't be that choosy!)

Born and raised north of Seattle, WA (very similar weather to England). I remember putting "trip to Arizona" on my birthday and Christmas list as a child. (Birthday in December... ie. gloomy and rainy)

Vit D helps... but minimally. I've done some testing now that I live full-time in an RV and can choose my weather. Even immediate sunlight exposure upon waking, for under 3 seconds (essentially just the knowledge that it's sunny out) dramatically enhances motivation to train. Easily 10-fold the effect of a high-dose vit D regimen, light exposure therapy, etc etc, in a cloudy place.

For a fascinating look at what complete sun absence can do to folks (and just a great documentary overall), watch: https://www.amazon.com/...Powell/dp/B00V4JH978

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dark, light, whatever....I'll ride.
Did 1.5 hours in the dark and 30 degrees on the MTB last evening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always want to ride and, like BobAjobb, I'm in England so I don't get to be picky about the weather I do it in. Most of my riding mates will go out in almost any weather as long as the surface isn't dangerous, ie black ice. Personally I'll go out in most stuff but I'm not mad about wind, and the biggest ballache is the big clean down after a wet and mucky ride.

But the difference is when the Sun is out, I YEARN to ride. Like I get twitchy if I can't and really jealous of other cyclists I see out riding if I'm not able to for whatever reason, possibly because those opportunities don't come thick and fast in my part of the world. It's like being at Uni and hearing a party that you are not invited to.. FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out).

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Though I think everyone enjoys a sunny day over a cloudy one, this seems pronounced with riding for me. I can run in pretty much any weather.

Full disclosure: I'm not training for anything, so I'm pretty much exercising for general fitness and can do a variety of things. I tend to ride when I enjoy it, and do something else when I don't feel like riding.

Can anyone relate?

Where do you live? I would tend to agree when the temps are below 70ish. But, there’s no better gift in the middle of Texas summer heat than catching a break with a cloudy day. It completely alters the ride in a good way.
Quote Reply
Re: How much does sun affect your desire to ride? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that a lot depends on where you live. I used to live in Houston, and I kind of liked riding in wet (but not torrential downpour) weather. I think it always gave me the feeling of "I am training today, and I know someone else skipped because it was raining"
Now I live in Seattle. This time of year, if it is sunny and dry, you ride outside. Even on the days it is sunny, you might have wet roads from overnight rain and that fact that trees shade the drying time. Real conversation yesterday with my boss around 2 PM (sunny and ~40 degrees)

Boss-Great Job on that presentation, I think we moved the project ahead about a week in that hour
Me- I am glad you feel that way
Boss- What do you mean?
Me- Well since we are now a week ahead of schedule, and it is sunny, I have been putting on my cycling kit during this call, I am going to go ride my bike for the next hour and a half or so.

Honesty is the best policy.... (he used to be a cyclist in Minnesota, so he kind of gets it)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride? Yes 100%. 45-50 is about the lowest im willing to go

but for running I actually prefer if its cloudy or even a little rainy. 40 degrees and rainy sucks but 65 and light rain is perfect
Quote Reply
Re: How much does sun affect your desire to ride? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
insulinpowered wrote:

Heh - maybe that's where I'm going wrong. With the young kid to supervise and all the housework that has to be done, there is no lounging post-workout for me! At best it's a 20-40 minute nap, and then gotta get things done!

Nah. I think it’s a hard wiring thing. Was the same way when I was married with the busy career. I just seem to thrive in cold, wet and muddy misery, haha...
Quote Reply