Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much cycling when training for 50M?
Quote | Reply
In Feb I'll turn 50 and thinking of "celebrating" with a 50 mile run (yes, I'm bored with no races at least until the summer)

Background:
1. I KQ'd last year and with covid put in lots of volume. So fitness is likely not my issue; My focus for specialized training is for conditioning for such a long run
2. I'll run relatively flat road course. My goal is to complete it in a reasonable pace without breaking down to a shuffle at the end

My question is how much should I reduce time on the bike
If I take a traditional run training plan, optimizing for the run and ramp up to 80 mpw (with back-to-back runs on weekend, etc.) it does not leave much time or legs for cycling.
On the one hand I want to have a good run at a pace I'm happy with, on the other I don't want to lose too much bike fitness.

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How much cycling when training for 50M? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was training for ultras (50m and 50k) from late 2014 through 2018, I did very little riding. I was regularly hitting 80-85 mile weeks (avg'd roughly 65-70). The fatigue and recovery from that mileage combined with work didn't leave much time for riding. What riding I did do was super easy spinning about 30-60mins and less than 50% of FTP maybe twice a week. Every once in awhile I'd take an easy Saturday and do 1.5 to 2hr easy easy group rides but those were rare.
Quote Reply
Re: How much cycling when training for 50M? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was training for 50M which was a month or two before an IM, I did the key run workouts as dictated by my run plan and substituted bike rides on easy days.
Quote Reply