Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How many will now buy a Canyon
Quote | Reply
Or consider buying one because Lionel now rides Canyon?
Quote Reply
Re: How many will now buy a Canyon [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna go buy a 200ft extension cord because of Talbot.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would consider one not because of Lionel but because I think they have a good product at a great price that's sold directly to the public.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried and waited and tried and waited to buy one a couple of years ago and I couldn't because they wouldn't sell to the USA, so now I hate them forever.

You can say my logic is silly, but so is buying one just because Sanders is on one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would much prefer the Premier, and the lack of giving sponsorship rides is another plus IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: How many will now buy a Canyon [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it fitted yes, but not because of any of the pros. It just looks good and has everything integrated included for a fair price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tricked into clicking on another Lionel thread...

I'm waiting for them to be available in Canada. I think having such a popular Canadian on board one now might make that happen sooner. So in a roundabout way, maybe I will buy it "because Lionel rides one" but it has nothing to do with wanting to ride what he rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll admit it.

I've spent time in the last week poking around on the canyon website, checking pricing, and looking into forums/ reviews on canyons.

I wouldn't buy it because Lionel is riding it, but the announcement definitely drove me to their site and into looking more seriously at the bike. I was pleasantly surprised by the (relatively) good pricing on their speedmax. I have a friend who bought a road bike from them, speaks highly of it, and it's definitely on my shortlist when it comes time to upgrade in another year or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I already ride one.

Oh wait, you mean in real life, not in Zwift? In real life I would consider one if I need a new bike. Not because of Lionel; GCN probably has more to do with it. But it's all moot as long as they don't want to sell to Canada.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: How many will now buy a Canyon [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teddygram wrote:
I would consider one not because of Lionel but because I think they have a good product at a great price that's sold directly to the public.

So to you it is a positive that it is sold directly to the public and doesn't go through the hands of some nasty local bike shop?
Quote Reply
Re: How many will now buy a Canyon [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jayski wrote:
teddygram wrote:

So to you it is a positive that it is sold directly to the public and doesn't go through the hands of some nasty local bike shop?

My bike shop is considering not working on them for this very reason. Say what you want about that, but this is a well respected bike shop that does good work. I see their point of view, but I also see Canyon and companies like Flo as providing good quality products directly to consumers. So you wouldn't consider them because they cut out bike shops?

Scott

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: How many will now buy a Canyon [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:
jayski wrote:
teddygram wrote:

My bike shop is considering not working on them for this very reason. Say what you want about that, but this is a well respected bike shop that does good work. I see their point of view, but I also see Canyon and companies like Flo as providing good quality products directly to consumers. So you wouldn't consider them because they cut out bike shops?

Scott

Absolutely. I like riding with and competing against people. I like buying from people and supporting my community so for the reasons stated yes, I would not buy a Canyon or any online only brand. There are plenty of brands who have the confidence to put their products out there for people like me to learn about, try, compare etc so why would I look at a brand who avoids this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be seriously questioning the turn my life had taken if I was making the same decisions as Lionel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not getting a Canyon, but I'm definitely going to start using a trainer on the local track on beautiful days instead of.. well.. riding my bike.
Quote Reply
Re: How many will now buy a Canyon [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canyons are so ugly they hurt my eyes
Quote Reply
Re: How many will now buy a Canyon [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I'm gonna go buy a 200ft extension cord because of Talbot.

its fine for a swimmer like you, but how bad is it that a pro cant generate its own power on the turbo ....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The availability and future service of the bikes is what concerns me the most with Canyon. The fact that they keep such low inventory is understandable, but will that leave us stranded in the future? I don't know the turn around on making the frames/parts, but maybe it would be wise of them to have pre-orders for a set time frame and ship them in batches? Say once every two months open up the orders and then work on fulfilling them? To me that would go a long way in considering the bikes as I've always been turned off by the fact that when I would be ready to buy Canyon wouldn't and as a result lose a sale.
Quote Reply
Re: How many will now buy a Canyon [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a great question!

I currently own both Specialized (actually just got the misses a new Tarmac Disc Expert) and Trek products that was purchased directly from bike shops - I try and support bike shop's as best I can but I do all of my own work and maintenance for the most part on all of my bikes and basically have a bike shop in my garage.

I worked in bike shops all through college and high school so I can understand the community feeling and support that anyway. I however am very particular about what I want and typically it requires ordering anyway.

So yes - buying a bike online is an okay idea for me (maybe not someone else) as I really don't need the bike shop support outside of the sale. I do try to support the local shops as best I can and I even lead a shop/club ride and wear the gear for them. I also push people to these shops as best I can for new product and repairs etc. The biggest downfall I have is the closest shop to me that has great support or I feel comfortable about is about 45mins. The two shops within 20 mins is a service/repair only and the other is simply not a pleasant experience.

To wrap this up - I answered the original question with yes I would consider buying a product because its a great value in my opinion but to date I have not purchased any bikes outside of bike shops.

I will say that hands down I go to shops for fit's or advice on fits and the shop that is 45min's away is great at that!
Last edited by: teddygram: Nov 21, 18 14:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I considered it last year when buying a bike. I ended up going with Premier because I didn’t want to deal with their ascinine inventory method they have.
Quote Reply
Re: How many will now buy a Canyon [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Would much prefer the Premier, and the lack of giving sponsorship rides is another plus IMO.

I saw both side by side at Tremblant, the Premier was nicer IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd buy a V-rad after seeing the Rad Pack's... but doesn't look like Canyon will ever make it available to the public :(

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.

I own a Trek and a Specialized. Both LBSs have treated me well when I've had warranty issues and both have treated me well when it came time to replace brake cable housing and other such tricky jobs with integrated bikes.

I also take issue with a few items on the Canyon Speedmax: the center stack pedestal isn't available to us norms, no tilt adjustment (that I'm aware of), horizontal dropouts (PITA), and my experience with hydration systems like that is that they make the bike less stable in the wind.

Truth be told, *if* I bought direct from a manufacturer I would be more likely to buy from Premier. I bought one of their travel cases and it is very slick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was gonna buy their cheapest cross bike a s a winter/commuter bike a couple months ago - but its been "Coming Soon" for like 3 months now.
Quote Reply
Re: How many will now buy a Canyon [kart17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kart17 wrote:
The availability and future service of the bikes is what concerns me the most with Canyon. The fact that they keep such low inventory is understandable, but will that leave us stranded in the future? I don't know the turn around on making the frames/parts, but maybe it would be wise of them to have pre-orders for a set time frame and ship them in batches? Say once every two months open up the orders and then work on fulfilling them? To me that would go a long way in considering the bikes as I've always been turned off by the fact that when I would be ready to buy Canyon wouldn't and as a result lose a sale.

I would have to absolutely test ride one first. There is no place to do that.
When the P4 came out, I test rode it...then the P2...then the P3. Went with the P3 because it actually felt better than the other two. Despite similarities, the comfort with the initial set up on the P3 was just like..."I'm home, this is my bike!" Can't do that with the Canyon as far as I know. Kind of like buying a house "site unseen"...from an investor standpoint, I could not bring myself to that sort of a deal.
Quote Reply
Re: How many will now buy a Canyon [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
kart17 wrote:

I would have to absolutely test ride one first. There is no place to do that.
When the P4 came out, I test rode it...then the P2...then the P3. Went with the P3 because it actually felt better than the other two. Despite similarities, the comfort with the initial set up on the P3 was just like..."I'm home, this is my bike!" Can't do that with the Canyon as far as I know. Kind of like buying a house "site unseen"...from an investor standpoint, I could not bring myself to that sort of a deal.

I agree with you on all those points.
Quote Reply

Prev Next