Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How many watts does wrist watch cost in 100 mile time trial
Quote | Reply
Marginal gains?

We pay thousands for race wheels, helmets, low rolling resistance tires, getting tri suits without wrinkles and hiding wires

Then we put on a wrist watch

Any tests how much it costs in an 100 mile time trial?
Quote Reply
Re: How many watts does wrist watch cost in 100 mile time trial [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote MrTri123
Any tests how much it costs in an 100 mile time trial?[/quote]

Yes. :-)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How many watts does wrist watch cost in 100 mile time trial [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
[quote MrTri123

Yes. :-)[/quote]
Lol

😡
Quote Reply
Re: How many watts does wrist watch cost in 100 mile time trial [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An elite athlete we work with mentioned in another Kona post said about 4 watts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Marginal gains?

We pay thousands for race wheels, helmets, low rolling resistance tires, getting tri suits without wrinkles and hiding wires

If it adds area, does nothing but distract and possible pull you out of aero, and the area isn’t designed to somehow change the Cd via its shape then it is not needed and costing you time. It doesn’t really matter how much time. It would be really hard to quantify it with a good degree of accuracy but goes against what people are trying to accomplish with marginal gains. You are either in or out with marginal gains (within financial reason) IMHO and if you are in then a watch is a no-no.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: How many watts does wrist watch cost in 100 mile time trial [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
Marginal gains?

If it adds area, does nothing but distract and possible pull you out of aero, and the area isn’t designed to somehow change the Cd via its shape then it is not needed and costing you time. It doesn’t really matter how much time. It would be really hard to quantify it with a good degree of accuracy but goes against what people are trying to accomplish with marginal gains. You are either in or out with marginal gains (within financial reason) IMHO and if you are in then a watch is a no-no.

I assumed he was not wearing one here, but I am not sure what is on the left arm and its not just not aero, its rotating weight!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not as many water watts as it costs most people on the swim

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Marginal gains?

SFA at most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Marginal gains?

Do a test on the trainer in your garage - 20mins all out with the watch on, then repeat a few days later with the watch off. That should give you your answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris Lieto used to put on his watch during the run. I’ve always been surprised more people don’t do that.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: How many watts does wrist watch cost in 100 mile time trial [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Chris Lieto used to put on his watch during the run. I’ve always been surprised more people don’t do that.

Yea, I always put on my watch in T2. Put it in the biggest loop pre-race and it slips right over the wrist. Takes an extra 2 seconds and saves on bike drag and swim drag. The only downside is that you don't know your swim split, but I've found that this information really isn't that valuable in the grand scheme of the race (and you can always have someone shout it to you later if you want).

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: How many watts does wrist watch cost in 100 mile time trial [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Timtek wrote:

Yea, I always put on my watch in T2. Put it in the biggest loop pre-race and it slips right over the wrist. Takes an extra 2 seconds and saves on bike drag and swim drag. The only downside is that you don't know your swim split, but I've found that this information really isn't that valuable in the grand scheme of the race (and you can always have someone shout it to you later if you want).

Same here. And usually out of the swim I can look at the guy/girl next to me and ask how we did. I try to swim in a group so it's usually within 30 seconds of right for me.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see an opportunity here to make millions selling dimpled wristwatches to triathletes.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
desert dude wrote:
[quote MrTri123

Yes. :-)

Lol

😡[/quote]
~1W

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: How many watts does wrist watch cost in 100 mile time trial [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Timtek wrote:

This is exactly what I do for 70.3 or higher. My only issue is that my garmin goes into sleep mode (and you can't turn it off) after 1 hour. So the first 1/2 mile of my runs are always screwed up GPS while it gets a lock.
Quote Reply
Re: How many watts does wrist watch cost in 100 mile time trial [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
If you watch the Koan podium interview Cam Wurf mentions how he did this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a very similar question to: How many watts does a BTA bottle cost? You have a blunt object adding front surface area in a region of mostly dirty/disrupted air but usually replacing another blunt object on another region of the bike. You have the choice of watch, head unit, both or none. In many cases a watch is likely faster than a head unit. Its like putting the bottle BTA rather than on the down tube. It looks counter-intuitive but it possible to hide things in the arms/hands.

For practically I like using a headunit rather than a watch so I ditch the watch. I am certainly not alone on this but I wouldn't assume this means a watch is slower especially if used instead of a headunit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear the bulky Fenix 5x, but I wear the face of the watch on the inside of my wrist and when I’m on my aerobars it’s tucked in on my wrist so I don’t think I’m losing that many watts.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply