Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How many watts could I save?
Quote | Reply
I'm getting back into tris after a decade of doing plenty of biking and running events but no swimming. Which means my tri bike is going to see some competitive action again after mostly gathering dust apart from a few training rides and a couple of TTs. So I'm wondering how much free speed I'm going to be giving away compared to current bikes, and whether it's enough to justify an upgrade. Fit isn't an issue, I had a good position 10 years ago and haven't put on any weight or lost any flexibility so it should still work well once I've logged some training miles to get used to it again, it's just equipment. Will be racing Oly and 70.3 distance.

With what I currently own the set up would be:
- 2005 (I think) QR Lucero. The original model. Has the basics covered like internal cabling, a clean front end, deep section frame, but none of the recent stuff like concealed brakes or fancy integrated stem/steerer
- Profile base bar (can't remember the model) with ski tip extensions
- Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbons which I'll shift over from my road bike. 45mm wheel depth, but the older model not the new wider one
- Bottle cages on the frame as well as one of the old school Profile aero bottles between the extensions
- Scott Cadence Plus helmet
- Some old, battered, not very aero but extremely comfortable Sidi road bike shoes

So what am I giving away to a modern optimised aero set up, and how close can I get without spending big money? Immediate thinking is:
- Dump the frame bottle cages, figure out a better BTA hydration solution, possibly supplemented with bottles behind the seat
- Treat myself to some more aero shoes (wife might not notice these amongst my enormous sports shoe collection...). Or will shoe covers get me the same or better aero savings anyway?
- Get a rear disc cover for the Mavics
- Maybe try some s-bend extensions?
- What else?

Would that get me in the ballpark or am I still giving up significant time? I can probably borrow/hire some deeper wheels for at least my A race if the watt savings justify it. Can't really justify the spend on new wheels or bike in my first season back, particularly given that my wife has spent much of the last 10 years asking why I haven't sold the bike since I hardly ever use it, and I've insisted I'll get back on it one day!

I'm also assuming the bike is still safe to ride at that age, it's relatively low mileage, has never been crashed or dropped, and has always been stored in either the garage or the loft where it's out of direct sunlight and temperatures are pretty moderate. But if somebody can provide compelling evidence that old carbon bikes are an accident waiting to happen then at least I could use that to justify an upgrade on safety grounds. And the Lucero would look very pretty as wall art...
Quote Reply
Re: How many watts could I save? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome back!

Others will give you better answers, but definitely get a new helmet. You will get lots of opinions, but aerohead is a decent option. Could be worth 5 - 10 watts.

Aero jacket disk cover is cheap and easy. Apply with tape not the snap fittings - so order it without the holes. Another 5 - 10 watts.

Get fast rolling tires and latex tubes. Again lots of opinions here. Search the forum, but Victoria Corsa Speeds are fast (difficult to mount) or Turbo Cottons are a few good choices. Another 6 - 12 watts.

The bike won’t make a huge difference if your position is good. I would hold off on the upgrade for a season or two.

YMMV
Quote Reply
Re: How many watts could I save? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Saw that Sebastian Kienle used the Scott Cadence in Kona in 2016 (https://www.slowtwitch.com/...one_Right_j6174.html) so figured it wasn't giving up much time, plus I'll be racing in hot conditions (living in Dubai currently) so the good ventilation is a plus.

Thanks for the tip on the disk cover. How much hassle is it taping it if it's being put on and off regularly? Will be swapping the wheel back onto the road bike for training and some races in between tris.

Already on latex tubes, currently with GP4000s but will need new tires before first race so will see what I can get that's faster.

Any view on shoes and covers? Much of a saving to be had there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding the helmet, I figure that if it’s an older helmet you are better off with some fresh foam and a new helmet for safety - so, might as well grab the most aero for your position.

The disk cover with taping takes a bit more time, but when you factor it into switching tubes and tires it’s not a big deal. That said I usually tape mine on at the beginning of race season and don’t mess with it until I’m done with tris for the year. A cheap set of training wheels could be had and a disk cover so you don’t have to bother. To answer the question directly. I would say it takes 10 more minutes to tape than to fasten with the snaps.

I think on ST the consensus is for a full that covers can net you some time when you are not permitted to keep your shoes clipped in transition. Most are leaning towards a good aero road shoe for HIM and FIM. There was a poll or an article on ST regarding this topic a week or so ago.
Quote Reply
Re: How many watts could I save? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again, helmet is under a year old so safety not an issue, just question of watts (and ventilation).

Sounds like shoe covers is the way to go, I never really mastered the flying mount anyway, I'm pretty quick at getting my shoes on and clipping in and never seemed to lose more than a few seconds in T1 (and often made them up passing people as they were strapping their feet into their shoes in the first few miles of the bike).

Disk cover on a training wheel is probably also the way to go, and I already have a decent training wheel I could use. Just need to park my OCD tendencies and try to forget I'm running different wheels front and rear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Make sure you look at clothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a new wetsuit
Quote Reply