Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How many bikes do you have and why?
Quote | Reply
How many of you train and race on the same bike? What is your rationale behind having something to train on and another to race with? Do you think it is worthwhile to have two TT bikes? I'm trying to collect some feedback to shut off that ocd voice in my head :) Actually, trying to not get sucked into the rat race.
Quote Reply
Re: How many bikes do you have and why? [Lucero27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 11.000-12.000 km / year.

5000 on the time-trial bike (train and race the same)
4500 on the road bike (some of it indoors)
500 on the mountain bike
500 on the track bike (indoor Velodrome)
500 on my city beater

Rational?

I want to have the best bike for the occasion. The time-trial bike for specific training and racing (I train on it mainly from April-Oktober).
The road bike for general training (base camp in march), group rides, recovery and bike racing. (I train on it mainly from November to camp in March, but always indoors). Also its my cheaper bike (alu), so I use it on the indoor trainer a lot ...
The mountain bike for mountain biking and if there is ice and snow in winter ( I doubt that there is a lot of training carryover from MTB to the road, but I love to ride occasionally and it does not hurt either)
The track bike on the track (no other bikes allowed)
And the city beater (with lights and non-flattable tires) in the city, because a regular wheel would flat over every little bit of glass and I need a hub - light)

I ride every bike as intended, so no modification of the road or track bike, not triathlon bars, not nothing. And the position on the road bike is completely different to the time trial machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One bike for me, thus all my training and racing is on it. I borrow a road bike for the occasional bike race. Rationale? Just financial - I'd love to have my own road bike someday.

I'm not sure why one would need two TT bikes, though a road and TT seems logical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri bike
Road bike
Cross bike
Track bike

I need another track bike. And a dedicated crit bike.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How many bikes do you have and why? [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one bike - road bike - reason: college student, it's cool enough to have ONE nice bike when you're a student...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How many bikes do you have and why? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4 for me

Race bike (TT bike)
Road bike
2 commuter bikes

---------------------------
"This wheel definitely beat the 808 in this test, no question, and I do commend Hed on producing a really fast wheel...the wheel is fast, I am not disputing that." - joshatzipp on the Stinger 9
My Website
HEDmafia.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Five. One TT bike for racing and maybe 20-30% of my training. A road bike for doing group training rides and some races. A beater road bike (set up with lights, mud guards and bulletproof wheels and tires) for commuting, wet weather and winter training and on the rollers. A mountain bike for going offroad - doesn't get as much use as I'd like but maybe 500 miles a year plus a couple of winter Duathlons.

Last bike is a bit of a luxury - my girlfriend works in Switzerland at the moment so I picked up a secondhand road bike to keep out there. Not planning any more bikes, just debating whether to seel the Swiss bike next year when she comes back or convert it into a fixie for commuting.
Quote Reply
Re: How many bikes do you have and why? [Red Devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bike (I thought the world revolved around Tri at one time)
Road Bike (To fit in with the roadies, I can make fun of the tri geeks and they don't even know I am one)
Cross Bike (Because it is awesome)
Mountain Bike (Chasing Xterra Points)
Wife's Bike (I claim it as mine but let her ride it closely supervised)
Friends Bike hiding in my garage(His wife does not know exactly how many bikes he owns and hides them in my garage, will claim as mine as long as its there)
Quote Reply
Re: How many bikes do you have and why? [nash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4, but only three get use.

Road bike - just because
Tri bike - to race
Cross bike - wanted to start racing last year, but couldn't find the training motivation after my first IM (Lou). Also my sometime commuter
Mountain bike - used to ride it a lot in San Diego. 13 years old and now living alone in the shed. How sad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 6, and sold all but three this year. Every time I'd get a new bike I would just keep the old one. I sold the bikes on craigslist for practically nothing - one 1996 Cannondale R800 for $85. It helped me clean out the bsement and got more bikes on the road. I also sold about 4 sets of wheels.

I now have my QR Seduza (~$2000) and Cannondale (~$1400) and a set of Zipp 404s off eBay. I also have a 14-year-old Trek mtn bike.

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I said when I started this thing that I would only need one good bike. So here I am admitting to have 4 at the moment.

1. TT bike 51cm which is my race bike and about 3/4 of my training
2. A road bike for group rides, draft legal tris and just for a solo ride if the TT bike gets a bit too boring
3. I cheap old bike that was my first tri bike. I have kept it for use on the Home trainer
4. Another TT bike (54cm and this is for sale) so I suppose it doesn't really count.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 TT bike
1 MTB full suspension
1 MTB hardtail
1 road
1 commuter
1 cruiser
1 trail rider to tow the kids

getting one more at the end of this year. Going for a ss or a cyclecross bike.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: How many bikes do you have and why? [ttx_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road bike set up for triathlon and mountain hard tail for around town and on the trails. Why? Because I am a student and can only afford those bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 TT bikes--old one (Blade) is my beater, new one (BMC) is my main race machine, Cyfac i won in the Cadence KONA CHALLENGE

3 road bikes: Cervelo SLC-SL is main squeeze--do most miles on it, Moots is old standard set up for comfort, and LeMond is dedicated to my computrainer

1 Mountain Bike

Just what I've ended up at through the years--don't like to sell old ones when they are all dialed in...

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 4 bikes at the moment. I have my tri/tt bike, a road bike that never gets off the trainer, a mt bike which I call my "training bike". It's got an aero front end to simulate my tri bike as much as possible. I love riding this bike because I can go anywhere on it.

I also have a fairly nice carbon road bike which I never ride. I like road bikes less and less these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bike: '96 Litespeed Tachyon, 80 - 90% of my time is on this bike training and racing, even indoors.
Road Bike: 90's Bianchi ti, for group rides.
Mtn Bike: '97 Bianchi Grizzly, Spring and Fall riding, occational Xterra or mtn bike race.
Cyclocross Bike: 90's VooDoo Loa ti, Cross rocks! Also getaround bike.

My old road bike is still in the basement also, Carbon Mongoose IBOC, need to unload it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Beware of he/she who only owns one bike, for he/she probably knows how to use it" Anonymous.

P.S. I have 4.5 bikes though.=)

Kelly Cro-mo HT... Classic. Don't think I'll ever get rid of that one
Titus Racer X FS. Amazing bike.... Don't think I'll ever get rid of that one either
Marin Cro-mo HT... Sentimental value, doesn't get a lot of use.
Specialized S works Road bike. Training bike and racing bike for road tris....
Titus Fireline Titanium HT.... on its way....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 4 bikes: Track, Tri, Road, and MTB.

I bought my road bike for variety, and so I could keep one bike on the trainer in the summer and not have to mess with stuff in case of inclement weather. I split my time fairly evenly between my road and tri bike when it comes to training...although in the winter, I primarily ride my tri bike on the trainer, and in the summer my road bike is on the trainer.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 Race bikes
3 Road bikes - (2 oldies with SLX tubing - to pretty to sell!)
2 MTB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

tri
road
mountain
cyclocross

sure am ready for a new mtn bike though. mine is more than 10 years old and weighs a ton!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you need two TT bikes, but I would suggest a road and a TT bike, and do much of your training on your road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two bikes...

Cannondale road bike that I train and race on, when I race with it I slap on some clip ons, and adjust the fit, I also put on a wheel cover.

Mountain bike that I (mostly) commute on, as well as occasionally mountain bike with (although not as much as I should, heh)

Also currently working on an old peugot frame that I'm turning into a fixie to commute on.

Once I can afford it I'd like to get a tri/TT bike.

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 Cannondale TT bike
1 Condor Road bike
I also usually have a fixie going, but I had a couple stolen in a row and then a frame broke, and I haven't gotten around to building a new one up.
I have also been pondering just having a really nice tt bike and no road bike, but I think for all the winter miles in sand and salt a road bike is pretty essential.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in the N+1 crowd. But mostly I do it because I really love bikes, and like to always have a project or two brewing.

The funny thing is, none of my bikes (besides the SS MTB, and even that could be argued -- it's a NOS frame from eBay that looks like an early 90's design) is newer than 6 years. Truly. The latest bike (that is in a rideable state) is a Scott Waimea that I just took out for the first time yesterday. It's going to be my "only" bike for the next year with the PC review. The last 3 bikes I've put together have mostly been "cheap builds" from left-over parts or finds from the ST classifieds or eBay. The SS/MTB was less than $200, and the Scott is right in there as well.

But I was also just counting yesterday...

1 general bike (the Scott) that will be my "everything" bike for the next year after I'm back on from surgery. Just got this one on an eBay steal a little over a month ago.

2 road bikes -- My old Paul Barkley Softride, which is my commuter and has taken most of my mileage this year, because it's the only one that will accept 28mm tires (with Slime tubes). The other is a TiCycles Softride which, sadly, I haven't ridden in over a year. Both of these I bought new.

3 TT bikes -- My tri rig, which is an old non-name ti frame with 105/FSA mix. Set up pretty aggressive. Also a custom "bunnyman project" funny bike. Bought it for my wife, really, but I've been the one on it more than her. Then a project bike: the Javelin X-frame. I need to have some frame work done on this to make it usable, but it's SO cool... All of these I bought used. Both the tri rig and the Javelin are 650's.

1 SS/track bike -- a TiCycles Softride custom rig. 650's. Bought it new long ago.

1 SS MTB -- Got a steal on a frame off eBay, and it's NOS. Looks like the old Nishiki Alien, but has no stickers.

1 old MTB that's in pieces -- a ProFlex 853, 15 years old. Canibalized some of the parts for the SS MTB. Bought this one new in '93.

Then there are the "others". My wife's road bike (Lemond Reno, bought new in '06). My step daughter's road bike (bought new last fall) and her MTB (Toys-R-Us special), and my daughter's bike (Toys-R-Us special), plus two others that are left-overs from my elder step daughter and mother in law.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Last edited by: brider: Jul 7, 08 15:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two road bike, one road frame and one mountain bike at the moment but I am always looking. Looking for a tandem. Why, I love bikes, it's my hobby.

Prev Next