Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How long to get back in shape after > year off?
Quote | Reply
I was a runner sometime triathlete before I got pregnant and had to stop exersizing due to complications. I have done 3 marathons, the last one I did in 3:33. I regularly put in 15 to 20 milers before I got pregnant, and have been active the last 12 or so years. Is there any formula that can give me at least and idea of how long it will take me to get back in shape? I don't have any weight to lose, so at least I have that going for me. *sigh*

CrashingGirl (who is feeling very wimpy after watching the Kona Ironman)

Re: How long to get back in shape after > year off? [CrashingGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I have no formula but I did take 2.5 years off where i ran a total of 40 miles during that time. My cycling came most of the way back in about 4 months. I've yet to recrack the 56min 40k mark but also only ride up to 150 per week vs avg 250 per week. My swimming sucks right now. I just got back in the pool after 7 years off.

Running has been the toughest and longest to come back. I don't know after taking that much time off from running if it will ever come back for me. I ran consistently 35:00-35:30 and dipped into the high 34's a few times off the bike in tri's. I think I've broken 36min in two 10k's running only races since then.

general aerobic fitness is the last thing to go and the first thing to come back. Your VO2max and LT will have dropped dramatically, as will have your ability to sustain longer efforts. Frequency, at first will be more important than duration. ie it would be better to run 6-8 times per week for 20 min than do 3 45min runs.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How long to get back in shape after > year off? [CrashingGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet you will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly you will regain your endurance. No, there is no formula, but make sure you come back slowly. Your body has changed quite a bit after having a baby and things are not necessarily in the same position anymore. You may also still have a bit more elasticity in your joints than you were use to as well, so be careful and do not jump back where u left off.

Good luck and congratulations!

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced lake Placid in 2002 and set a mediocre time.

Spent the end of 2002 and most of 2003 "advancing my career and relocating"

Started unorganized training in august of 2003 with structured training again in October 2003 with goal of getting serious about the sport again. I created my "konaby2008" handle to remind me of a 5 year goal I set in the summer of 2003 when i was in the worst shape of my life.

Basically after a year off I had a good training year hoping to ake some time off of my 2002 time in Lake placid and my race seemed to be a carbon copy of it instead. So I guess one year layoff with one year of training equals getting back to where I left off. Hopefully I can drop some time by Ironman Arizona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard stories about some world-class athletes that do a break of 12 months every 2 years in top competition. So I think you will get in shape in no time. My guess is about 3-4 months ;) Welcome back!

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Re: How long to get back in shape after > year off? [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for your replies! I am very encouraged. :)

Quote | Reply
Of course, just take it easy, but you must get back at it 3+ days a week (even if its just a 25 min. run) ... Obviously, a woman who had a kid and got back in shape would give you the best advice, but here's my experience:

I took 9 months off in 2001 (traveled the world, drank too much, even took up smoking! (at age 30: why?)). Before my binge I had run and biked most of the year for 4-5 years and was in sub 90-min. 1/2 marathon shape, so ... 9 months off ... Then 4 months slowly building up, coughing a lot, I was back at 30+ mpw and ran some decent 10Ks (1 min. off my PR) ... It took another year to set new PRs, though (5K-mara). Good luck! -TB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any specific help to give you since pre-kids I didn't swim/bike/run, but, I did do other sports/exercise. It took me 6+ weeks of real workouts before I felt like they were going well. It probably took 3 to 4 months before I felt like I was close to being back. The important thing is just getting started. Welcome back!

D.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to get back in shape after > year off? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian

Would you still agree with this assessment of 6-8 short runs vs 3x 45 min?

I went for my first run in about 2 months yesterday and really haven’t been running in about 2 years. It was painful.

I need a path back to triathlon and it’s not gonna be pretty...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 May I suggest a process that Bobby McGee shared for athletes coming back - it is a triangle

At the base of the triangle is Frequency - next level up in Endurance and the tip of the triangle is Speed.

So it is much better to do 6x3 mile runs rather than 2x6 miles runs - when coming back into the game - but given your background and obvious motivation - perhaps it will take about 4-6
months to start getting the zing back.

Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Last edited by: feman: Oct 23, 18 11:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will actually answer your question, 42 days and 42 minutes. At that point you will have your answers...
Quote Reply
Re: How long to get back in shape after > year off? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is 14 years old. The OP's kid is a teenager at this point...
Quote Reply
Re: How long to get back in shape after > year off? [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cidewar wrote:
Brian

Would you still agree with this assessment of 6-8 short runs vs 3x 45 min?

I went for my first run in about 2 months yesterday and really haven’t been running in about 2 years. It was painful.

I need a path back to triathlon and it’s not gonna be pretty...

Holy Zombie threads, Batman!

For a more recent, and more complete treatise on this same topic...perhaps see the following thread:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=1612485
Quote Reply
Re: How long to get back in shape after > year off? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:

Ha ha ha! Wonder if Brian is still breaking 36mins for the 10K?

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to get back in shape after > year off? [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
g_lev wrote:

Ha ha ha! Wonder if Brian is still breaking 36mins for the 10K?

Haha. No. Now he's old and injured too often
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a perfect zombie thread, only a few answers and had desert dude answering. I definitely got bit, and too funny to think that kid is now in the later years of high school now!! We need an update on the kid, sports stud, or loafer??

And Crashing Girl hasn't logged on in 11 years, so double zombie!! Anyone know what happened to her? Hope all is well and life just got in the way..
Last edited by: monty: Oct 23, 18 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome, and funny. I bet the ST sleuths can figure out what Crashing Girl and her teenager are up to these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CrashingGirl wrote:
I was a runner sometime triathlete before I got pregnant and had to stop exersizing due to complications. I have done 3 marathons, the last one I did in 3:33. I regularly put in 15 to 20 milers before I got pregnant, and have been active the last 12 or so years. Is there any formula that can give me at least and idea of how long it will take me to get back in shape? I don't have any weight to lose, so at least I have that going for me. *sigh*

CrashingGirl (who is feeling very wimpy after watching the Kona Ironman)

I will be able to give you the answer in about a year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took me about a year. Not 12 months, but one full tri season
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had almost a year off from running due to injury. I can tell you that the endurance comes back fast, but speed is slow. Its going to be different for everyone based on where you were when you stopped and how long a layoff it was, but I think they above is accurate. After 4 months solid running back I'm able to do the time and distance, just not at the paces I used to maintain.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to get back in shape after > year off? [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto with me with cycling after 7 months off the bike due to surgeries. Slow endurance is ok (I'm riding a 24 hour solo fundraiser in a few weeks), but speed still suffers. I hope by March I'll be seeing increases in speed. Age doesn't help either - I'm 57.

TPerkin2000 wrote:
I had almost a year off from running due to injury. I can tell you that the endurance comes back fast, but speed is slow. Its going to be different for everyone based on where you were when you stopped and how long a layoff it was, but I think they above is accurate. After 4 months solid running back I'm able to do the time and distance, just not at the paces I used to maintain.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to get back in shape after > year off? [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian - yes start small and often

Monty - my original answer was back in '04 and still pretty solid advice

jkhayc - don't get old, that's my advice. Want to go Top Golfing Friday? need to try out my regripped clubs.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How long to get back in shape after > year off? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx Brian - i figured now that you are much older you'd have even better advice! is it really true that you've been on this forum for 14 years??? haha.

i'm going to try get my frequency back up 6x 20 to 30 minutes over the next three weeks and see how the short & mega-short running works for me. i have a loooooooong way back.
Quote Reply