Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How long should a Garmin Edge 810 last and what to replace it with?
Quote | Reply
I've had my 810 for 5 years and fear it is losing accuracy. What is the lifecycle of head units and if I were to replace it, what should I replace it with?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How long should a Garmin Edge 810 last and what to replace it with? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had my 810 for a very long time and still use it. I like the big display and it works well with all my sensors.

Definitely don't replace it with an 820, that touchscreen is garbage.

I've heard the 830 is much better and if you don't wan't a touchscreen, get the 520 plus or 530.

I'm debating between a 530 and 830 now.
Quote Reply
Re: How long should a Garmin Edge 810 last and what to replace it with? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not quite answering your Q but ... I'm still using a edge 800.
It must be at least 8 years old. Quite possibly 10 or 12.

I find its a bit slow on the uptake, and if i scroll or zoom in/out on the map is sluggish.
Bit still readonably accurate.

I what way do you think the accuracy is reduced ? Do you have the 'snap to road' setting on (or what ever it is called ? If not, would that accoint for lost accuracy (if you mean its dhowing you off the side of the road ??)
(I use mine offroad a lot so I dont)
Quote Reply
Re: How long should a Garmin Edge 810 last and what to replace it with? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I've had my 810 for a very long time and still use it. I like the big display and it works well with all my sensors.

Definitely don't replace it with an 820, that touchscreen is garbage.

I've heard the 830 is much better and if you don't wan't a touchscreen, get the 520 plus or 530.

They solved the 820 touchscreen issue apparently. 830 is an amazing computer. I upgrade from a 520, I can't imagine not having a touch screen now. Not with Garmin's clunky UI at least. It definitely lessens that issue.
Quote Reply
Re: How long should a Garmin Edge 810 last and what to replace it with? [cassinonorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did they fix it with software or were the newer units manufactured better/different?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
I've had my 810 for 5 years and fear it is losing accuracy. What is the lifecycle of head units and if I were to replace it, what should I replace it with?
They will pretty much last forever. The only real end-of-life event for something as recent as an 800 is you break it, the battery naturally degrades, or it becomes incompatible with something else important to you.
jaretj wrote:
I did the debate and got a 530. I also had a 1030, so knew how good the touchscreen is. I eventually chose the 530 for its simplicity on my TT bike. I use the 1030 on my road bike with its luxuriously huge screen and mapping. (The 1030 would not fit between the TT bike extensions.)

I sometimes have buyer regret for the 830 on my TT bike, but I think the 530 was ultimately the best tool for race use.
Quote Reply
Re: How long should a Garmin Edge 810 last and what to replace it with? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may have been you I discussed this with a few weeks ago.

I'm currently searching for the best price on the 830. The best I've found today is at $380 and that's with the blue365 deal at HRM USA.
Quote Reply
Re: How long should a Garmin Edge 810 last and what to replace it with? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, it probably was. And if I see a post someday that you got an 830, I will probably have a tinge of jealously, even though I love my 530.
Quote Reply
Re: How long should a Garmin Edge 810 last and what to replace it with? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 510, which I guess was similar age started randomly locking and turning off 6 months back. Not a biggie on a training ride, but would have been a bummer in an IM race as of course you lost the NP data, etc. So I swapped to the 530. The 510 battery was also reducing, but still way more than I'd ever need, just needed charging every other ride, as opposed to every 4.

I actually still prefer the 510 if I'm honest. Sure the 530 has some features I'm sure I'll grow to use, but I liked the 510 touchscreen and the buttons on the face, not in a hard to access place squeezed between the mount and the bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was still using an Edge 705 up until last year, so it lasted something like 10 years. Nothing happened to it, just new features, iPhone sync versus pluging into the laptop is much easier. I went with the 530 and love it. I did not want the touch screen as use for on and off road, so got the MTB bundle and on a 1x I find the remote fits where the front shifter would normally be and it is functional for what I need it to do. Garmin used to have a program where you could mail an old unit in for a credit on a new one, but that was a while ago so may not exist anymore. Don't think you can go wrong with the 30 series from what I have seen.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: How long should a Garmin Edge 810 last and what to replace it with? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My issues started with an inability to find my HR monitor (even after I replaced the HR with a new one). The 810 also frequently reads the HR monitor incorrectly (registering 80 bpm vs. ~150 bpm based on RPE). Lately, mileage and speed has been off (based on historic data and countless ride experience on same stretches of road).

I don't have it in that mode as I don't use the map function often (especially lately - riding local only).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still use my 810 from when it first was released. I had the back prongs break and found an aftermarket metal cap with 2 screws to replace it & used a 2 part epoxy welding glue to make sure it didn’t come off.

As for the touch screen, it all works but this past year has really become “laggy” and especially, when I save a workout. Sometimes it takes almost a minute to fully save and stop the “spinning wheel” of save mode. It’s slowly starting to tire out I think.

I’m thinking about a Wahoo computer. It looks pretty nice....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
Thanks

I have an Edge 800 that is still going strong. I have no reason to replace it.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just replaced by 500. It finally stopped charging after 10 years so a pretty good run. I almost got the 830 but the touch screen was a pain to control. Got the 530 and its really good/simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
They will pretty much last forever. The only real end-of-life event for something as recent as an 800 is you break it, the battery naturally degrades, or it becomes incompatible with something else important to you.

That's right. I don't understand performance is going bad. They should work like brand new as long as your battery is good. I just replaced battery on mine last night after 6-7 years of use. Battery wouldn't stay more than 5 hours when fully charged. Black one is a generic battery from eBay and it works well now. Just replace the battery if you can and keep using it. No need to waste money.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Ha, it probably was. And if I see a post someday that you got an 830, I will probably have a tinge of jealously, even though I love my 530.

I got the 830 today :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
🤙🏻
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the 830 for over a year now and love it. I keep my 810 in my transition bag as a backup. Went on a remote ride last weekend and forgot my 830. I had my 810 in the bag ready to go.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: How long should a Garmin Edge 810 last and what to replace it with? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great suggestion. I didn't know that was possible - thank you!
Quote Reply