Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How long does a groupo last
Quote | Reply
How long should a set of Ultegra components reasonably last? I live and ride in Nor Cal and rarely ride in the rain. I am pretty good about keeping the drive train clean. Mine have about 6K miles on them and seem to work great. I am just curious since I plan on buying new dedicated tri bike this off-season and wonder if I should bother swapping over older components from my road bike to save some money. I would assume a crank set can last for years but perhaps the BB, rr and fr wear out much faster right? I realize this was discussed in earlier post but part of the decision making process is how much left do I have in my groupo? Thanks!
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: How long does a groupo last [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultegra? Jeez...I'd say 20 - 30 thousand miles at least. 12-15 years of steady use. New chain, cables and brake pads now and then. Keep it all clean and dry and it's pretty hard to wear it out. I think the first things to go would be the brake/shifter levers since that's where your indexing is happening.

Generally speaking, people don't wear out bike parts. They get tired of them and want new stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: How long does a groupo last [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, most bike parts become obsolete (at least in the mind of the owner) before it wears out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the above, but I always replace the bottom bracket every few years. I can't justify this since the DA BB I replaced after five years seemed every bit as good as the new one I put on, but I felt guilty about running a moving part so long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah ... you'll get tired of your gruppo before it gets tired of riding.

A riding buddy is *finally* retiring his 13 years old Trek (dropout snapped at the chainstay). Everything stock 600 except cables, brake pads, bottom bracket, cassette, rings, and chain. A hair over 67000 miles, one wipeout and a fork-inverting head on collision with a car ...

Dre'
Quote Reply
Re: How long does a groupo last [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um...sure....15 years...uh huh...

105...two seasons of racing for BB, HS, and Shifting systems

Ultregra...four - five seasons of racing

Dura Ace....four to five

Chorus - five to six years

Record - (with Carbon Der and Crank) three to four years for Carbon bits...6+ for others.

Old shifting systems are like driving some old ass 1978 Olds...sure it runs...but why? If a grouppo is lasting 60,000 miles the rider must be lolly-gagging on every ride. I have seen cranksets shear from stress in 1/4 of that. Brake arms snap, stems and bars snap, der's just get sloppy.

You can take this statement to the bank...you may read it from me first...remember this

Though an older 7-8 speed system may have still shifted...it would not shift well, but yes it would shift. You take the same miles on a newer 9-10 speed Ergo / STI system it WILL NOT LAST that long...PERIOD. In the modern world we measure chain gaps by .1mm for good shifting...used to be 2-4mm...tolerances are MUCH tighter now and will show them selves to be wicked enemies in the not to distant future.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: How long does a groupo last [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome!

Your posts get funnier and funnier every day. Keep up the good work.

Dre'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As usual, my experience is consistent with everyone but Record9's. Ultegra hubs, front derailleur, brakes, cranks, etc. will last indefinitely. Normal wear items are chains and bottom brackets. And after 5,000-10,000 miles you will probably need to replace the STI levers.
Quote Reply
Re: How long does a groupo last [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As usual, my experience is consistent with everyone but Record9's. Ultegra hubs, front derailleur, brakes, cranks, etc. will last indefinitely. Normal wear items are chains and bottom brackets. And after 5,000-10,000 miles you will probably need to replace the STI levers.

Okay, I will spend some more time here.

I have seen crank arms fail...violently and suddenly...during races. This in every instance was caused by a dent or deep scratch in the metal of the arm cycling under stress and cracking one day. I have seen Shimano, Campy, Mavic and Suntour crank arms that have been broken. Many Cook Brothers and Stonglight crank arms too (they are the highest majority IMO). This is not to mention that a crank arms hole (weather ISIS or square) is a press fit - and really can only come on and off a limited number of times before there is a gap between the BB spindle and crank interface. I have seen people way over tighten crank arms (for some reason with a 1/2" drive breaker bar) and press their crank right down the shaft of the spindle and into the BB shell. I myself try to have my cranks on and off the bike a minimum possible number of times.

I have never seen Ultegra (or most hubs) last that long with out yearly rebuilds. Once again we get onto the 1970 Olds...with wheels spin when the cones races look like 60 grit spand paper and the "ball" bearings resemble a dradle? Sure they will...torque is on your side. However, a yearly rebuild (normal care) will cost about $30.00 per hub. Add to that the cones and seals that you will need (and the shop may not be able to get)...and the fact that your wheels now have a crap load of miles on them - with alloy nipples snapping. How much are you going to spend to keep your trusty Ultegra hubs spinning? Most people think about a wheel upgrade. Now...you get to the rear wheel...you want to pay to rebuild that freehub body? It is cheaper to buy a new one.

F. Der...you got me on that one. I have not seen a F. Der wear out that was not older than I am.

I also at least every 2 years replace my stem, bars (it is AWFUL how over looked replacing your bars is!!!) They are a wear items and will fail. I have had a set of Cinelli bars shear at the stem during a sprint. I have seen other shear theirs...ANY deep scratch, hard crash, bend or creaking/flex is cause for a new bar!!!

Other things that should be replaced before they fail under you...carbon/carbon forks...Titanium Pedal axles (seen a few of those shear - mostly Speedplay)...and I get paranoid about Carbon Seat posts too...

Then again, I am a biker. I put in 15-20,000 miles a year. Every ride is a race, every "Stop Ahead" sign is a sprint. I want my bike to perform better than I can...and old worn out parts will not help me one bit.

Back to the Olds...so...will they "work"...yes....will they work "well"? Depends on what you consider working well to be...some people are giddy when their 1970's Olds coughs to life in the morning billowing smoke into the neighbors windows....others are not. Some people are happy just being on two wheels pedaling and can live with some clickety clack of the chain line...(I cant)...

Who here wants to race on Shimano Dura Ace 7 speed with Down tube shifters!!!! Lets GO!!!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If a grouppo is lasting 60,000 miles the rider must be lolly-gagging on every ride.

I've got nearly 60,000 on my Dura-ace group. Guess I must lolly-gag on every ride including that one where I rode 23.9MPH in a 1/2IM. Wow, imagine how fast I could ride if I got new components and didn't have to lolly-gag :-)

Of course, I routinely clean and overhaul my bikes. That, and the fact that I weigh only 140lbs means that I don't wear stuff out quickly and don't break stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
15,000-20,000 miles? Do you have a job? Where do you live? Most professionals don't average 400 miles/week.
Quote Reply
Re: How long does a groupo last [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
15,000-20,000 miles? Do you have a job? Where do you live? Most professionals don't average 400 miles/week.
I am lucky and have a job where I can make my own schedule. I also do allot of "weekenders"...ride from home, 150+ miles to a hotel somwhere, ride home the next day. I will often ride 350-400 miles per week from April to November. If I need to get to the pool...10 miles each way. In the summer time I try to get a 100 mile in on Wed's also...leave work at about noon and go out. Stress killer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stress killer from what? Seems like all you do is ride/train. Must be nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that all you do? Gee, I just can't figure out why you lap me at Lake Placid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow 15000-20000 / year!! Didn't you just do IMWISC? You must have kicked butt - at least on the bike. What were your splits like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long does a grouppo last? Until it wears out. If you perform regular P.M.C.S. (preventive maintenance, checks and services)and keep it clean it is incredible how long the stuff lasts. If you let it get filthy, carry your bike on a roof rack in the rain, use thick, gummy, wax-based lubricants and never perform interim preventive maintenance (mostly cleaning) you can destroy a group in months. We have customers who can destroy a Dura-Ace group in a season and others still on equipment from 1994. I had a guy in here this morning named Mark who wore through a front derailleur because he frequently rides in his 39/11 (w.t.f?). I counseled him on cross over gears but his response was, "I like that gear." Figure that out. Then he says, "These Dura-Ace front derailleurs don't last long do they?" Hmmm. It takes all kinds....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: How long does a groupo last [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you ... use thick, gummy, wax-based lubricants...
I'm curious Tom, I know you like Boeshield, but is a product such as Pedros Ice Wax "bad"? It's what I've used for years, but would like your opinion on it before I run out and switch. Aside from needing regular cleaning and re-application (like any lube, really), I've never had any issues with it.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got over 30K on an Ultegra set, without much noticeable deterioration. It's not as crisp in the shifting as when new, and I've rebuilt the Rolf hubs (Pros) a few times.

I'm hoping the der will wear out soon, because I'd like to upgrade to the 10 speed!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Last edited by: Cousin Elwood: Sep 13, 03 19:33
Quote Reply