Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How long does a bleed kit last?
Quote | Reply
I'm planning on bleeding my P5's brakes soon (mainly so I can finally get the damned front brake cover to fit properly!). It looks like the bleed kit doesn't come with much fluid.

Is it actually enough for both brakes?
If not, can I reuse the fluid currently in the brakes?

Also, it looks like the "Magura Blood" is just mineral oil dyed blue... Is that true?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: How long does a bleed kit last? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the lever feel spongy?
Quote Reply
Re: How long does a bleed kit last? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the rear is spongy and the front needs to be bleed to get enough adjustment to properly in stall the brake cover.

My questions, is concerning the bleed kit, not if the brake need bleeding.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
I'm planning on bleeding my P5's brakes soon (mainly so I can finally get the damned front brake cover to fit properly!). It looks like the bleed kit doesn't come with much fluid.

Is it actually enough for both brakes?
If not, can I reuse the fluid currently in the brakes?

Also, it looks like the "Magura Blood" is just mineral oil dyed blue... Is that true?

If it is indeed just mineral oil, then best practice would be to alternate with un-dyed every other flush. Keep pumping it out till the color changes. Old fluid is a little darker, but blue to red will be more obvious.

The 100 mL bottle is enough to fully flush a few bikes. Watch a bunch of videos, take your time, do the front first (less turns, shorter hose) and you'll do great.
Quote Reply
Re: How long does a bleed kit last? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect. Just what I wanted to know.

I actually found a pretty good how to article right here on ST!

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people don't know that bleeding isn't necessary if the lever is firm.
Quote Reply
Re: How long does a bleed kit last? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the standard service interval on magura's road brakes? (Of course, "as needed" is the right answer, but in practice...is it every season? More? Less?)

My experience is on cross and mountain bikes which is way different in many ways. I do a quick bleed a couple times a year and a flush once.

I assume that thick padded brakes, used lightly in good weather, perhaps primarily during races...would last a LOT longer.
Quote Reply