Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How long do you wait for a bike shop?
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I'm trying to support my local bike shop with my next bike/frame purchase. I just found out they carry my preferred brand, but don't have any of their bikes in stock. They do have a showroom full of other brands obviously. I inquired last Sunday on purchasing a frameset and they said they'd reach out to their rep to get pricing and availability information.

Originally they said they'd call me Monday/Tuesday. I called them back on Wednesday to check in on them and they said they'd get back to me on Thursday. Now it's Friday and still no answers. I don't think this is normal, right? I mean all I need is a quote and availability ...

By no means am I asking for opinions to place an ultimatum on time, I'm just curious what other people's experiences might be. There will be a point where if I don't get a call back I'll just place an order online and save some cash. I just figured buying local might score some brownie points with them and I don't typically buy new.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you wait for a bike shop? [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've waited longer than I would have. They're a business and if they want your money they need to provide at least basic services in a reasonable amount of time. Just like any local business, just because they exist doesn't mean they deserve your money, they're going to have to put some effort in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
Hello all,

I'm trying to support my local bike shop with my next bike/frame purchase. I just found out they carry my preferred brand, but don't have any of their bikes in stock. They do have a showroom full of other brands obviously. I inquired last Sunday on purchasing a frameset and they said they'd reach out to their rep to get pricing and availability information.

Originally they said they'd call me Monday/Tuesday. I called them back on Wednesday to check in on them and they said they'd get back to me on Thursday. Now it's Friday and still no answers. I don't think this is normal, right? I mean all I need is a quote and availability ...

By no means am I asking for opinions to place an ultimatum on time, I'm just curious what other people's experiences might be. There will be a point where if I don't get a call back I'll just place an order online and save some cash. I just figured buying local might score some brownie points with them and I don't typically buy new.

Thoughts?

If you like the shop, pick up the phone and give them one last call and tell them that you'll wait while they make the necessary calls; stop in if necessary. That's what I would do.

My current LBS is staffed by a really likeable group of people, but they just weren't as on top of things as I would like. I gave them that additional "prodding" call, and they came through. They also came through and helped me on other things as well since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had similar experience. Feels like some of them know a lot about bikes, but little about customers.

You’re selling to middle age type-A people. We are always running like rabid dogs pursuing our goals and very sensitive about time. If you promised to call, just call! Or send an email!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the time it took you to post this, you could have called them and checked on the status, just sayin'.

They may not have heard back from the rep yet, and are probably pretty busy, I know my LBS is swamped and I've had to call them repeatedly for certain things, no big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you asked them why it's taking so long?

Depending on what frameset you're interested in, there's a good chance they simply haven't been able to get the information from the manufacturer. There are several major brands that are already completely sold through on their 2020 *and* 2021 lines, and are starting to queue up orders for 2022. This makes it very darn challenging to get things like price quotes and delivery dates. It's literally impossible to get/give this information on some products right now, and there are probably a fair number of product reps putting off answering questions like this, as they just don't have the info themselves.

Granted, if this is what's going on they should probably have told you that already... but the stories of people coming completely unglued after being told this (and things like this) are pretty commonplace at this point in the pandemic bike buying frenzy, and I know that some retailers are very gun shy to explain just how bad the supply line situation is to customers.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't bode well for when you need them to chase up the actual frame set order.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they took more than 48hrs to get back to me on the price/availability on a non-custom frameset, I'd probably start looking elsewhere and give them one last call before placing an order with a different shop.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you wait for a bike shop? [rides4beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rides4beer wrote:
In the time it took you to post this, you could have called them and checked on the status, just sayin'.

They may not have heard back from the rep yet, and are probably pretty busy, I know my LBS is swamped and I've had to call them repeatedly for certain things, no big deal.

I did that on Wednesday. Just trying to navigate a fine line between reminding them and nagging them.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you wait for a bike shop? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:

Depending on what frameset you're interested in, there's a good chance they simply haven't been able to get the information from the manufacturer. There are several major brands that are already completely sold through on their 2020 *and* 2021 lines, and are starting to queue up orders for 2022. This makes it very darn challenging to get things like price quotes and delivery dates. It's literally impossible to get/give this information on some products right now, and there are probably a fair number of product reps putting off answering questions like this, as they just don't have the info themselves.

Granted, if this is what's going on they should probably have told you that already... but the stories of people coming completely unglued after being told this (and things like this) are pretty commonplace at this point in the pandemic bike buying frenzy, and I know that some retailers are very gun shy to explain just how bad the supply line situation is to customers.

This. A brick and mortar shop trying to get bikes these days is like the Hunger Games. My LBS gets online first thing every morning to see what's available and will buy everything they can get, and even then the supplier inventory is partially speculative and delivery dates regularly get pushed. Folks need to realize that waving around a bunch of cash is not going to solve the root of the issue, which is that there ain't much available to buy for any price.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you wait for a bike shop? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:

^ This.

We haven't been able to get information from many of our suppliers, so we don't even know when we'll have bikes available to ship. So the best we can tell our dealers is "Hopefully by [date that keeps shifting farther into the future]". Bikes that we were supposed to have on the water back in July and available to our dealers by August are now pushed back to sometime early next year...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you wait for a bike shop? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
fredly wrote:

^ This.

We haven't been able to get information from many of our suppliers, so we don't even know when we'll have bikes available to ship. So the best we can tell our dealers is "Hopefully by [date that keeps shifting farther into the future]". Bikes that we were supposed to have on the water back in July and available to our dealers by August are now pushed back to sometime early next year...

Whether or not you have been able to get information or not isn't relevant to his issue, the bike shop is failing to do a very simple thing, and that is to give him a call back when they say they said they would. An update that says we don't know, is still an update, and its amazing how many businesses fail to do this very simple thing.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you wait for a bike shop? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Warbird wrote:
fredly wrote:

^ This.

Whether or not you have been able to get information or not isn't relevant to his issue, the bike shop is failing to do a very simple thing, and that is to give him a call back when they say they said they would. An update that says we don't know, is still an update, and its amazing how many businesses fail to do this very simple thing.

This is what I was hoping was not an unreasonable expectation. And for what it's worth I'm looking at purchasing a Look branded bike not a Cervelo/Trek/Specialized.

I think Look isn't sold out of 2021 but who knows. Basically if they told me hey put a deposit it will be this much, we'll get it in 60/90 or even more days that'd be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't Look based out of France? The shop might be having trouble getting info cause of the new COVID surge/restrictions. But that's just a guess.

Either way, they should keep you in the loop. It's a simple 30 second phone call.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you wait for a bike shop? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Isn't Look based out of France? The shop might be having trouble getting info cause of the new COVID surge/restrictions. But that's just a guess.

Either way, they should keep you in the loop. It's a simple 30 second phone call.

They have a US based HQ in Florida. They stopped using a distributors and they sell themselves now.

Pedals are still distributed I believe by QBP.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you wait for a bike shop? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
fredly wrote:

This. A brick and mortar shop trying to get bikes these days is like the Hunger Games. My LBS gets online first thing every morning to see what's available and will buy everything they can get, and even then the supplier inventory is partially speculative and delivery dates regularly get pushed. Folks need to realize that waving around a bunch of cash is not going to solve the root of the issue, which is that there ain't much available to buy for any price.

The OP is inquiring about the shop not calling them back as promised. In business, that is unacceptable. No excuses.

Some businesses have to learn the hard way. Buy your bike elsewhere.

Dimes to doughnuts, they will eventually call, and that is when you can explain you bought elsewhere. They will either (A.) Learn a lesson, or (B.) bitch about you behind your back. My $ is on (B.)

Yes, I’m a type A asshole, but I guess that’s why I can buy expensive bikes. LOL

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Last edited by: chxddstri: Oct 31, 20 5:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my experiences with LBS over 40 years completely normal

Which is why so many people hate LBS and online bike shops have thrived.

They killed themselves with crappy service
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
Hello all,

Thoughts?

Think of it this way

If they can’t be bothered to get back to you on THEIR timeline imagine what will happen if you have a warranty issue

Move on. You dodged a bullet with them.

Count your blessings
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you wait for a bike shop? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Warbird wrote:
fredly wrote:

^ This.

ThiS^^^^^^. No one, including OP, would blame OP for inability of a manufacturer to deliver product. The failure to communicate is the issue. Every bike shop on the planet could do that well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What model frame are you looking for?
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you wait for a bike shop? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What model frame are you looking for?

795 Blade RS XS 2021 in Black/Red is my first choice.

I'm also considering closeouts for 2019 and 2020 in preferably Di2 (likely) or AXS variants (unlikely due to higher price). And I do know there are few and far between in some shops that have brick and mortar but also sell online. Just have to look hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since every time I go into a bike store I can't find anything I'd like to buy I don't wait at all.

A local shop that I bought 2 bikes from closed some time ago and I've been unable to find another shop I like. I honestly distrust most of them in my area.

There are a few out of state that I like but I only get there when racing or vacationing.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you wait for a bike shop? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Warbird wrote:
fredly wrote:

^ This.

ThiS^^^^^^. No one, including OP, would blame OP for inability of a manufacturer to deliver product. The failure to communicate is the issue. Every bike shop on the planet could do that well.

Called again yesterday and she said they likely hadn't gotten a response from the rep yet, but that she'd find out the status and call me back.
Honestly, I wasn't hopeful that they would, but today they did! Without an answer to my question.
She told me availability would likely be Mid to Late November. And placing an order you have to pay 100% upfront ... which seems a bit much? I was guessing I'd put 20% down and the rest upon delivery, but someone please correct me if that's not right.

Anyway, she knew what color frame I wanted because she mentioned it... however, she/they (whoever called the rep) didn't find out if I could buy just the frameset ... so I asked to check for me.

This is progress even if just a little bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you want a frame that is rim brake or disc brake compatible?
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you wait for a bike shop? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Do you want a frame that is rim brake or disc brake compatible?

I love rim brakes and the simplicity of them. They work just fine for me. However, I think I'd have buyers remorse if I don't get the disc brake compatible version.
Quote Reply

Prev Next