Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona)
Quote | Reply
These are the last 70km of the bike course in Kona of the following athletes:

Hard to believe, really....
Last edited by: bojan: Oct 18, 18 9:50
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She just wants it more than they do.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More then Lange? Starky?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shes freaking amazing.

Although she of course has an absolutely dominant W/CdA and motor... with the second half being faster and downhill (and more so this year with low-crosswind?) I think this means her low-yaw CdA with her current setup is the otherworldly factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have already had a couple threads on this, cherry picking some guys that blew up and leaving out all those that did beat her in that split, well what was the point really??? Mikki, Bart, Potts, and on and on beat that split of hers..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me the most impressive part of that is she is only 2 min off of Wurf who set the bike course record
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling is the great equalizer. She has a terrific position, and there is no reason she could not do that on 240-250 watts given her position, equipment, size, and weight. Blown up male pros were probably significantly under what I think would be an average male pro Kona power of about 270 watts.

Remember the point is performance, so we need something more than performance before we start questioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to me, it's unbelievable.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jellyfish stings make you faster.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
We have already had a couple threads on this, cherry picking some guys that blew up and leaving out all those that did beat her in that split, well what was the point really??? Mikki, Bart, Potts, and on and on beat that split of hers..

I wouldn’t say that Wurf is one of the “blow up” guys, and she was 2’ off the him
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's on her bike, busting her ass 6 hours a day...
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
She's on her bike, busting her ass 6 hours a day...

ahaahahahahahahahahah touche!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIl5RxhLZ5U

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Along with the tailwind and downhill nature of that segment which significantly narrows the gap between any riders, this is also a testament of the smarter rider style. Pros (typically male) that have convinced themselves that they have to attack on the bike are doing themselves the biggest disservice ever.

Ride the same course on Zwift at the same watts on the tri bike that gets no drafting benefit vs. an aero road bike that does get drafting benefit, but avoid packs. Even though you only pass people briefly and get only the tiniest aero benefit, the speed increases start adding up. I'm getting about 1.5 minutes every 20 miles. Swim patiently, then work your way up through all the supersswimmers and overanxious bikers and you'll get 5 to 10 minutes "incidental" draft benefit on an Ironman.

And don't forget draft benefit from lead motorcycles. Even if you don't think it's there, it's not negligible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bojan wrote:

Hmmmm... How do you go from mediocrity in ITU to this? There's good and then there's too good. I guess I'm just too jaded when it comes to superhuman performances in cycling, which is a sad commentary but the unfortunate truth. It would be the biggest fiasco in triathlon if she turned out to be dirty.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bojan wrote:
monty wrote:

I wouldn’t say that Wurf is one of the “blow up” guys, and she was 2’ off the him

Not exactly a blow up but 312w out and 276w back so. Ryf likely did the opposite and went easier out and harder back.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2016, she rode:
Daniela Ryf
224.50 watts23.01 mph04:53:04In 2017 she rode:
Daniela Ryf
221.29 watts23.21 mph04:50:37This year she rode:
Daniela Ryf
228.94 watts25.19 mph04:27:43
These estimations are all from "Best Bike Split, so presumably they use the same algorithm to extrapolate watts from the speed, time, etc. You can clearly see the effect of this year's zero wind situation. Note that her estimated watts are comparable across all of these. That said, she clearly rode above 228 for the final 70km:

26.8 mph/43 kmh for the final 70km

over this course profile:

She rode 4:37:33 at Roth, for a 24.18 mph/38.9 kmh average

I just don't see it as a great outlier.

Here's how they saw Lucy:
Lucy Charles204.20 watts23.97 mph04:41:23And Anne Haug:
Anne Haug189.62 watts23.58 mph04:46:01
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I beleive during the race they said that she was not making up time on the leaders until after Hawi at which point she made a great effort to get to the front. I believe as others have said she rode the front half smart and the back end hard. The men all pshed to get to the lead pack and then hung in with the exception of a few that pulled away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll also add that I ride about 225-230 watts for 40 kmh average on a net-zero-wind 1/2 mile traffic circle that I use for FTP testing. Her position is slightly better than mine and certainly less CdA. Having been on the Kona course, I reckon her ride is not an outlier in terms of watts on a zero-wind day out there.

Lange's estimate is:
Patrick Lange263.26 watts25.39 mph04:25:35More watts, slightly more speed. Combination of heavier and maybe less aero than Daniela. His watts are probably slightly decreased due to slight draft effect of the pack he was with.

Wurf's ride estimate is:
Cameron Wurf296.94 watts27.13 mph04:08:33All-in-all, without doing hard-core number crunching, I don't see anything abnormal about her ride, given how the day played out. If you can ride 225-ish watts for 4.5 hours, you can certainly ride 240-250 for 1.5 hours of that without too much trouble, if you're a pro or elite amateur who rides 15-20 hours per week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy wrote:
In 2016, she rode:
Daniela Ryf
224.50 watts23.01 mph04:53:04In 2017 she rode:
Daniela Ryf
221.29 watts23.21 mph04:50:37This year she rode:
Daniela Ryf
228.94 watts25.19 mph04:27:43
These estimations are all from "Best Bike Split, so presumably they use the same algorithm to extrapolate watts from the speed, time, etc. You can clearly see the effect of this year's zero wind situation. Note that her estimated watts are comparable across all of these. That said, she clearly rode above 228 for the final 70km:

26.8 mph/43 kmh for the final 70km

She rode 4:37:33 at Roth, for a 24.18 mph/38.9 kmh average

I just don't see it as a great outlier.

Here's how they saw Lucy:
Lucy Charles204.20 watts23.97 mph04:41:23And Anne Haug:
Anne Haug189.62 watts23.58 mph04:46:01

For me the data do not indicate how amazing Ryf is (although this is the case), but how terrible the top men are. That Wurf, Starky, Weiss are splitting -30 watts on this section shows that you do not have to be smart to be a FOP cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish people would just come and say that they think she is doping or whatever they think rather than say 'its suspicious' (meaning doping) or whichever way they choose to say it without saying it. It seems based on what others have said here the performance was legit (and I didn't doubt her performance from the beginning).

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Women's TT championship was at around 30mph for over 1/2 hour. 17.7mi in 34ish minutes? Toss some duration curve math and some saving yourself for the run percentages at that.......I could see it being perfectly believable.

Now, if they start taking KOMs up Ventoux, we'll know something is up.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The weather was perfect... She was also 26 minutes closer to lange than last year.....was she on the new shiv?
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Oct 18, 18 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to make it clear, I for one am not questioning her performance....my commentary was in reply to those throwing rocks....:)))

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bojan wrote:

First she is really fast............but...........the other people on the list had their own race strategies, as she did. Its hard to compare with just one part of one leg of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm... How do you go from mediocrity in ITU to this? //

How do you even have an opinion, you obviously are talking out the other side that makes noise?

She was third in the ITU sprint world champs, and got 7th the olympics, horrible and mediocre, right??
Quote Reply

Prev Next