Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How futureproof is the 935?
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m seriously looking at upgrading to a 935. Right is Iā€™m using my VAHR for everyday use, and my 910xt for racing and long days.

I want the extra long battery life and the wear it and forget it aspect. I donā€™t have a power meter or any of those toys but that doesnā€™t mean I wonā€™t get them someday.

Before I spend $500 on a watch... I want to be sure this will be useful for 5-10 years and whatever comes down the pipe next wonā€™t make this look like garbage. Otherwise Iā€™ll wait itā€™s not like my current option is broken.

Basically, I want to know whatā€™s coming. I know CES is just around the corner, and I also want to know how long updates are supported. Seems a while since my VAHR got an update.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m more excited about the Wahoo tri watch

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didnā€™t even know that was coming. But that certainly adds to the equation! While Garmin has been good to me Id really like to see more competitive options.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Iā€™m more excited about the Wahoo tri watch

Is that still happening?
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last I heard it was delayed to fix some things and have a launch time closer to the start of triathlon season

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
predicting/expecting a garmin watch to last 10 years is a lot to ask considering the garmin 310xt only came out in 2009 so just hitting 10 years. I think 5 years is reasonable and I think of things like 910xt and 920xt and many still have those and they work fine. My 920xt is 3 years old with no issues. I think it depends on what features you need/want. 920xt does everything I want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO the 910 is garbage compared to the 920 and 935

I have a 920 and 935, both are good watches. I like the functionality of the 935 but I like the square screen of the 920.

With that said I use the 935 for everything and the 920 is my backup.
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want an everything watch basically. Iā€™m aware that 10 years is a long time in the tech world and if you put it that way I may be better off looking at other options like Suunto and COROS. I just donā€™t want to drop $500 or even $400 for that matter on a watch that 3 years from now having the same discussion still using slowtwitch to good off at work šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. Itā€™s not like a new watch makes you faster.

Maybe a 920 but from what I understand as an everyday watch isnā€™t that great. Iā€™m kinda lazy so I want the long battery life, a wrist based HR monitor (def not in the 920), and something that serves as an everyday watch as well. And I would like to do it for what averages less than $60/year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I donā€™t think the suggested 5-year expected shelf life of a Garmin is unique to Garmin. That is probably a fair estimation for any wearable item you use every day. Frankly, I would be more concerned buying tech from a company that advertised you should buy itā€™s watch because it had no intentions of updating anything for the next 10 years. So, I donā€™t think looking at other brands will necessarily change your perception of a watchā€™s realistic duration in a material way. Iā€™ve been using a 920 since it came out and still find it very functional and relevant and have no intention to update at this point in time but doubt I will have it in another 5+ years.
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking elsewhere is more about dropping price than it is about getting more time out of it. Maybe if Suunto or COROS got me everything Iā€™m looking for, or at least close enough to it. Iā€™d rather go with Garmin as it just seems better but if Iā€™m replacing it after a couple years Iā€™d rather save the money. Or just keep using my current set up until something breaks.

Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only thing I could see coming would be a 935 with music.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Last I heard it was delayed to fix some things and have a launch time closer to the start of triathlon season

More like delayed while they work on the climb and the fan.
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:

What other features does the 935 lack?
Sure, there could be something cool that no one really thinks about, but otherwise?

music
HRV
Wifi for the BT adverse
mapping
more smartwatch features
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m still not sure I understand your rationale....but, anyway, you can buy a 920 for around or maybe under $200. Thatā€™s a pretty solid price point for what you get. I donā€™t think you will HAVE to replace any watch after 2 years (Iā€™ve had my 920 longer), but whatever you buy, you may change your mind about what you want 2 years from now.
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. They requested the FCC to withdraw their application until the timing was closer to triathlon season.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m basically wondering if in 2-3 years my theoretical new watch will be ā€œgarbageā€ as people now call the 910xt, which back in the day was ā€œawesome.ā€ Or if because itā€™s basically a smart watch if in 3 years tech will speed up so much that it will become broken down and useless. Will garmin still support the software? Will it still sync with new phones? Will I still be able to receive updates to get new bugs out?

The 920 is a fine watch for a good price but I have 2 issues with it. From what I can tell (Iā€™ve never owned one) itā€™s not much of a put it on your wrist and use it as an everyday smart watch/fitness tracker. Which is why I have my VAHR. Also, it doesnā€™t have a built in HR monitor, which is also why I use my VAHR. Last year my old hard strap finally bit it and after being too lazy to get a new strap I found I didnā€™t really miss it at all.

Basically what I want is something that has Bluetooth and phone updates, something thatā€™s a fitness tracker, supports open water swimming, and has long battery life both for Ironman and so I donā€™t have to charge my watch every time I have a couple decent days in a row. Iā€™d also like to do it for what ends up costing me about $60/year. Less would be better. However I donā€™t see the 935 dropping to $300 anytime soon. Iā€™d personally hate to drop $500, or even $450 for a refurb and in 2020 I can no longer receive updated software and am forced to dust off my 910.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Iā€™m basically wondering if in 2-3 years my theoretical new watch will be ā€œgarbageā€ as people now call the 910xt, which back in the day was ā€œawesome.ā€

I donā€™t think that most people label the 910 ā€œgarbageā€. I certainly wouldnā€™t. But anyway, How can anyone possibly answer that? My point is that you could ask the same question for every single tech product. These companies are constantly coming up with new advancements/tweaks to their products, albeit fairly incremental at this point. Garmin will likely come out with 2 more advanced versions of the 935 in the next 5 yearsā€”As I would expect any tech company trying to sell consumer products to do. Personally, I would buy the 920 to save some money and still get a great watch, but the value of your money and how you want to spend it is a decision only you can make.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I understand that. Originally they were supposed to release in May 2018. If you donā€™t think they got sidetracked because they struggled to finish the climb (it was late, shipped in summer) or the fan, you havenā€™t been paying attention.

Theyā€™re too small a shop to have kept the watch on time once the climb slipped. And thatā€™s why the watch got pushed back an entire year.

As someone who thinks the climb is stupid, I think it was a bad choice. They lost my business because I now have a different watch.
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
wcb wrote:

What other features does the 935 lack?
Sure, there could be something cool that no one really thinks about, but otherwise?

music
HRV
Wifi for the BT adverse
mapping
more smartwatch features

That's about where I am: it seems like Garmin has painted themselves into a corner. Over the last ten years I've been doing this I wanted better cycling features, swimming, daily tracking... now it has everything I've ever hoped for out of a running/ tri watch. There's nothing that I wish it had.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I know about that. I'm just saying that could be speculation too. Since we aren't working at Wahoo, I don't care. I can wait for the watch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldnā€™t either but hell some of the people on this feed have. I usually do ask that question and itā€™s why I generally use tech until it breaks. And Iā€™ve thought deeply about the 920 but without the optical HR monitor itā€™s a hard sell. Do you use your 920 as a day to day watch? Thatā€™s been what I can say without a doubt is my favorite part of the VAHR.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I hate wearing watches on a daily basis...nothing to do with 920 specifically though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
I want an everything watch basically. Iā€™m aware that 10 years is a long time in the tech world and if you put it that way I may be better off looking at other options like Suunto and COROS. I just donā€™t want to drop $500 or even $400 for that matter on a watch that 3 years from now having the same discussion still using slowtwitch to good off at work šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. Itā€™s not like a new watch makes you faster.

Maybe a 920 but from what I understand as an everyday watch isnā€™t that great. Iā€™m kinda lazy so I want the long battery life, a wrist based HR monitor (def not in the 920), and something that serves as an everyday watch as well. And I would like to do it for what averages less than $60/year.

Huh? Mine is on my wrist right now as it has been for almost 3 years. And it tells the time in big bold numbers! I also like the black color with blue trim. I'll grab a dress watch if I'm wearing a suit, but otherwise this one is just fine. BTW - I still use a Garmin 500 on the bike ... it's rock solid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I would like to see out of this watch is the long battery life, Bluetooth, optical HR and lightweight of the garmin. But maybe a little less on the features like golf swing, training status, and thermometer. I feel like Garmin takes one or two traits you need and offeres them packaged with a ton of extra junk. Theyā€™re basically the cable company. Please Wahoo... donā€™t be the cable company

Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe Iā€™m convinced. To save money I could go back to the old HR strap days.

Quote Reply

Prev Next