Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc?
Quote | Reply
Two part question:

1) If you're a front of the middle of the pack cyclist, do you look like a schmuck riding a disc wheel (at 20-22 mph for an OLY, for example)?
2) At what point/speed does a disc become meaningfully faster and/or more stable (due to sail effect) than a deep 808-or-equivalent rear?
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm old and slow, I'll run a disc most of the time. It is faster, I need all the help I can get.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride HIMs and Olympics in the 21-22 range. It used to be that the only people pass me had discs. I upgraded to a disc. Now fewer people pass me.

A disc is always faster than an 80mm or 90mm rear. A disc looks cooler. A disc is more stable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not have the answer to this question but I will be anxiously awaiting to see if I am one of the people who should not be riding a disc.
I will say this for a short time trial I ride just under 24 miles per hour but when it comes to long course triathlon I'm probably only in that 18 mile per hour range.
My thought on it is aerodynamics have to help at any speed so I'll take anything I can get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares how fast, how young, or whatever else is holding you up. Disc wheels are faster and look cool. Ride one and have fun.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
27.976 mph. /pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uhhhh, guys in tight spandex clothes often with really ugly designs, shaved legs, compression socks and a pointy aero helmet... it ain't the disc that makes you look like a schmuck

seriously, who give a fuck what you look like. Ride what you want
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use to run disc.. now 80 (enve 7.8) I still dont get passed (very often). My poor swimming is more of the issue.. all the fast guys are already in front of me.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Aug 27, 18 16:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your bike moves in a forward direction when you are riding it, you will be faster if you ride a disc.

If someone thinks you are too slow to ride a disc, their opinion is not worth your consideration.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't really know about question one, but the second sounds like the "how fast do you have to swim to in order to not get eaten by the shark" question.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"how fast do you have to swim to in order to not get eaten by the shark" question
---

I don't have to swim that fast to not get eaten by the shark, I only have to swim faster than you.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. If they're not paying you, who cares what other people think? Why let others control what you do?

2. Disk wheels are beneficial at all speeds, so why not use them. I could argue that the slower and weaker you are, the MORE you need that disk wheel! Use it! (It always seems a bit unfair to me that the people who need the help often can't get it or don't use it.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend to think the schmucks are the people who have the option to run a disc and instead leave it at home.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
1. If they're not paying you, who cares what other people think? Why let others control what you do?

2. Disk wheels are beneficial at all speeds, so why not use them. I could argue that the slower and weaker you are, the MORE you need that disk wheel! Use it! (It always seems a bit unfair to me that the people who need the help often can't get it or don't use it.)

This is my understanding as well. Because the slower the rider, the -longer- they are riding for, thus the longer they will enjoy the aero benefit. The cumulative time saved can be more for the slower rider than the faster rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not how fast you go in the race that matters, It's how fast you look racking the bike...
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:

Bless you! You just talked me into taking my disc to IM Cozumel! And I feel better while making the "whump,whump" sound while riding it too ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This pre-conceived notion that discs are only beneficial above a certain speed is complete and utter bullshit. That and those that think/say this, have never tried to understand fluid dynamics.

Look at the force of drag equation and the Chung method.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I literally have no clue what others ride

I don’t even look
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the displeasure of being a much faster swimmer (top 10%) than I am rider (bottom half). I did the math on IM 70.3 Chatty that I was got passed by nearly 1000 riders (~3/minute) after coming out of the water so fast. I guess I'm just kind of shy about being "that slow guy with a disc."

After seeing all this, I'm second guessing my decision to buy an 858/454 combo.... For the same coin I could have bought a HED Jet Disc + Jet 6 (front) + Jet 6 (rear, for the hilly/windy days), but I just figured the 858/454 would be easier to handle, just as fast, and less like me to be "that guy"?
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those us of us who suck at math, when does it NOT make sense to ride a disc (opting for an 808 instead)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
For those us of us who suck at math, when does it NOT make sense to ride a disc (opting for an 808 instead)?

Only when you can’t afford one.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even then, you can use a wheel cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
wintershade wrote:

Only when you can’t afford one.

Then you get a cover.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Uhhhh, guys in tight spandex clothes often with really ugly designs, shaved legs, compression socks and a pointy aero helmet... it ain't the disc that makes you look like a schmuck

He's right you know...
Last edited by: Etip: Aug 27, 18 15:44
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
FlashBazbo wrote:

Bless you! You just talked me into taking my disc to IM Cozumel! And I feel better while making the "whump,whump" sound while riding it too ;-)

Except discs are not legal in Coz
Quote Reply

Prev Next