Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How far were the rolldowns at Victoria 70.3 for worlds?
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering how far were the rolldowns at Victoria 70.3 for worlds. I finished ninth in the 55-59 AG. Does anyone know if that age group rolled down to nine?

I thought I had a shot at getting for South Africa. But part of me didn't want to take the slot and be on the hook to spend all that cash, so I didn't go to the awards ceremony. Now I'm halfway regretting decision because I see that 70.3 Canada is qualifying for 2019.

Quote Reply
Re: How far were the rolldowns at Victoria 70.3 for worlds? [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you would have very easily gotten a roll down. I know someone who was 53rd in their division that took a roll down spot. I also know of someone from 2016 at that race that was 82nd in their division and took a roll down. Not a lot of people out there willing to shell out that kind of cash to get down to SA for the race. I personally think a roll down to anyone in the top 10 is reasonable, but my god would I be embarrassed to take one for being 82nd. LOL.
Quote Reply
Re: How far were the rolldowns at Victoria 70.3 for worlds? [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at the award ceremony and there were spots left on the table. Basically if you finished, you got a spot if you wanted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect if you sent them an email asking for a spot they would give you one. Every race I have done has had a lot of spots left.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friend of mine grabbed a slot with 26th in m40-44.
Quote Reply
Re: How far were the rolldowns at Victoria 70.3 for worlds? [TOTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All good info, folks, thanks. I wonder how this roll-down fest will affect the field at 70.3 Worlds? Will it lean toward a more middle-of-the-pack crowd with more resources? I've done 70.3 Worlds twice and I felt as if the field was a pretty salty bunch.
Quote Reply
Re: How far were the rolldowns at Victoria 70.3 for worlds? [JVanderveen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JVanderveen wrote:
I was at the award ceremony and there were spots left on the table. Basically if you finished, you got a spot if you wanted.

Didn't realize the 70.3s now are for 2019 in France, I would have expected more people to take slots as France isn't that hard to get to a Nice is a really great vacation spot.
Quote Reply
Re: How far were the rolldowns at Victoria 70.3 for worlds? [aavlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are still for Port Elizabeth until the July 8th race in Japan

http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz5Hftl6Obf

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clayhathorn wrote:
I thought I had a shot at getting for South Africa. But part of me didn't want to take the slot and be on the hook to spend all that cash, so I didn't go to the awards ceremony. Now I'm halfway regretting decision because I see that 70.3 Canada is qualifying for 2019.

May I ask, wouldn't you rather go to France in 2019? May not be much cheaper from North America but you have more time to budget/plan and, having been to both venues for fulls, Nice is certainly a better venue.

Personally, I was thrilled that Whistler is qualifying for France, it's too bad that I am not a top 10 guy (11th is my best placing) and cycling is my weakness, also I anticipate some fast French Canadians will take the cross country trip for an early slot.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: How far were the rolldowns at Victoria 70.3 for worlds? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"May I ask, wouldn't you rather go to France in 2019? "

Excellent question. I got nothing against France, I love it there -- just went last year and have been before. On the other hand, I've never been to South Africa, and it sounds so exotic. I plan to race Whistler 70.3 and Los Cabos 70.3 in 2018 (I call it the NAFTA series), so we'll see if I get a chance to qualify for Nice at one of those, thereby having another chance at a decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair point! I did enjoy SA but mostly because of my stop in Cape Town. Great name for the series, see you at Whistler

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: How far were the rolldowns at Victoria 70.3 for worlds? [CgyTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CgyTriGuy wrote:
, but my god would I be embarrassed to take one for being 82nd. LOL.

Not me. Who cares? It's all for fun.... ;-)
Quote Reply