Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How far am I from sub-17 5k?
Quote | Reply
I ran sub 17 in high school cross country, but that was a long long time ago. Never thought I would be in the ballpark again, but ran 18:07 in a sprint tri today. I'm wondering how far off I might be, in a standalone 5k, from sub 17.

Relevant info:

-the run course today was rolling, and had a lot of turns. It was 3.06 mi based on my garmin but went under some heavy foliage so may be accurate.
-i biked hard on a hilly course with some pretty big efforts. Didn't "save" anything for the run.
-if I go for the sub 17 I would look for a flat and fast course (hey i'll take any help I can get!)

I haven't done a standalone running race in a couple years, so just wondering what this might equate to, and what additional training I might need to put in to get this done.
Quote Reply
Re: How far am I from sub-17 5k? [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you ran an 18:07 off a hard bike you can probably do it right now. Local 5k's are a dime a dozen, why not try it and find out?
Quote Reply
Re: How far am I from sub-17 5k? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that, I'll give it a try. Just wasn't sure whether it was feasible since I haven't been doing any racing outside of triathlons (well, I did run a 5 miler this year, but it also involved eating a dozen donuts at the halfway point.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wbattaile wrote:
I ran sub 17 in high school cross country, but that was a long long time ago. Never thought I would be in the ballpark again, but ran 18:07 in a sprint tri today. I'm wondering how far off I might be, in a standalone 5k, from sub 17.

Relevant info:

-the run course today was rolling, and had a lot of turns. It was 3.06 mi based on my garmin but went under some heavy foliage so may be accurate.
-i biked hard on a hilly course with some pretty big efforts. Didn't "save" anything for the run.
-if I go for the sub 17 I would look for a flat and fast course (hey i'll take any help I can get!)

I haven't done a standalone running race in a couple years, so just wondering what this might equate to, and what additional training I might need to put in to get this done.

You are 1:08 from a sub 17 :)

Sorry I couldn't resist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd wager if you did open 5k you are in the low 17:20's time frame. If the gps was accurate, your looking at additional 80m (which is probaly 18s.

If it was accurate 5k of 18:07, i'd still bet you could look for 45s fairly accurate open 5k.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say sign up for a 5k to see where you are and get the feel of racing a road race again. Than I'd start focusing on speed work. Get on the track and start cranking out 400's and 800's. 6-8 weeks sign up for another 5k and see what you can do.
Quote Reply
Re: How far am I from sub-17 5k? [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
I'd wager if you did open 5k you are in the low 17:20's time frame. If the gps was accurate, your looking at additional 80m (which is probaly 18s.

If it was accurate 5k of 18:07, i'd still bet you could look for 45s fairly accurate open 5k.

I'm with this guy. I ran almost the exact same time per mile for a short "5k" last year in a sprint, and I'd say rather confidently I was in 17:30 shape at the time.

That extra 30s takes some work, but if you've been there before it definitely comes back more easily the second time. Some focused training for 6-8 weeks would probably do it though if you weren't too sharp for that race.
Last edited by: dspTri: Aug 22, 16 11:28
Quote Reply