Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How does sealant work?
Quote | Reply
I got a flat in my Corsa Speed tub in a race 2 weeks ago. It hissed, went down 40% then stopped. Does the sealant take a bit of time to seal the hole or should it be instant and I'd never notice? I was thinking of just inflating it with a C02 and carrying on, but didn't want to risk losing more time so just changed tyres.
Quote Reply
Re: How does sealant work? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sealant needs to pass and react with air to start solidifying and gradually builds and seals the hole. Be careful putting a CO2 canister in too soon as the high pressure can blow the newly formed pug out if it hasn't formed and set enough.
Quote Reply
Re: How does sealant work? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sealant by design has these little flakes that are suppose to jam up a hole (you should shake the bottle and mix it well) much like a beaver building a dam. It takes enough flakes to coagulate and stop air from escaping the hole. The higher the pressure, the more the air finds an escape route. Likely it stopped at 40% but was probably still leaking some. I haven't flatted on tubeless yet so I can't really say how well sealant works in higher PSI scenario. With MTBing (25 psi) though in Tucson I picked up tons of thorns and it was totally fine. It was fascinating to look at the tire when it was worn down and just how many thorns were often stuck inside the tire but were plugged by the sealant. I can't even imagine MTB life before sealant in the prickly desert.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply