Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you write/store race reports?
Quote | Reply
I'm overhauling the way I track training and racing data, and one aspect of that is my race reports. In the past, I'd blog them, but ultimately no one but me cares. ;) So I'm looking for a local (i.e. not in Garmin Connect, Strava, or Training Peaks) way to keep notes of my races, so I can compare year to year for the same events. I'm an Apple ecosystem user, so I'm looking at using the Notes app with folders; so far that's working nicely.

How do you all keep records of your events and how you felt on race days?

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: How do you write/store race reports? [OtterJohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep mind in word docs but at some point I posted a few to Strava, oddly enough, my last Honu 70.3 RR from 2019 has gotten a handful of likes and views in the last couple months.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don’t want to publish them, Apple Notes is probably perfect for you. With iCloud, you have automatic backups and synced to all devices.

Dropbox has their Paper writing tool built in, Google has Docs which integrated with Drive. Lots of other cloud based writing apps but not sure anything will be substantially better or simpler than Notes.

Publishing though, that’s a whole other story - a million options and it all depends on what you want out of it!

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone had an idea for a website dedicated to race reports and posted on here not too long ago:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ce_reports_P7388699/

I think it's an awesome idea, not just for storing your own but for sharing them and providing info on races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have a blog

Now, I just post a brief overview here and on the socials

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: How do you write/store race reports? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I used to have a blog

Now, I just post a brief overview here and on the socials

I have a blog. I write my main race reports there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I care I write it in my blog.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you write/store race reports? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should reboot my blog?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a blog that no one reads. It's really just a place where I can put my thoughts down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the scott tinley method:

-write down a brief race report on the back of your bib number. weather, splits, notes, who was with you, how the course was, whatever.
-put those bib numbers in a shoe box.

done!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: How do you write/store race reports? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use mine mostly to host pictures I link here. I can't get to most hosting sites like imjur from work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever since the Garmin outage last year, I decided to stop putting my notes (or the notes I care about) into a platform that I have little control over. That means I blog; not just for the race notes like OtterJohn is asking about, but for my entire training experience.

How I organize this task is with simple text files, one file per week that documents everyday, Sunday to Saturday and includes a weekly goal that I type in on Sunday morning and the week's summary that I complete on Saturday. My coach sends me my workouts for the week and under the heading for each day, I have the planned workout and the summary for that day.

Time: It takes me about 2 minutes to copy and paste the workouts from my email app into the text file for the week. The summary at the end of each day might take me 10 minutes and I will include anything pertinent; how did the workout go, how did I sleep the night before, work, life, etc. So a fair number might be about 75 minutes per week is what I burn documenting each training week. That time is inline with what I was writing into the notes field of each activity in Garmin Connect previously.

The next part is making sure that my coach can read how my training is going. For that I use software called a "static site generator" that consumes all of my text files (and attached images) and turns them into my blog and publishes it all in less than a minute.

I assume what I do can be done with any blogging platform but I chose the above method because my goals were not to be beholden to someone else's "cloud", store my stuff in a portable format and to keep the task of writing as simple as possible.

Another Note: I am an Apple ecosystem user too and I do this entire process from my iPad.

Cheers,

Mario

Here is an example of what my SSG builds from a text file:
https://mariostoc.co/...onman2021-31weeksout
Quote Reply