Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How do you use Zwift/Trainer Road?
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to figure out if I would enjoy using one of those platforms this winter, so I'm wondering how people use them. Are you just sitting in front of your computer riding with the pack? Are you watching TV and it's running the background? Just music? Projecting to a TV?

I'm not new to training, but I've never used a program like those so am trying to figure out if it's something I would like to do. I don't own a smart trainer (and do not plan on buying one right now, so if that's a problem, lmk). I do own trainers/power meters so think I should be able to use them.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you use Zwift/Trainer Road? [toomanycats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my workouts are preloaded in training peaks by 80/20 endurance. zwift is sync'd up to to training peaks. all my bike workouts are automatically dumped into zwift. zwift essentially just captures my workout and drives my trainer. my ipad kinda sits to the side, either my bigger ipad or my laptop is front and center for shows and music.

the only thing that keeps me using zwift at the moment is it captures mileage for my workouts. i like to have a weekly mileage tally.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I Zwift train solo, Zwift race sometimes, Zwift Poker, Zwift Caregiving

I have Zwift either on a 47in screen or a laptop. If I’m playing poker then Zwift is on the small screen. If I’m racing, Zwift is on the big screen. If I’m caregiving, my Mom prefers Zwift on the big screen and doesn’t like anything else so I can’t watch movies or anything - she finds Zwift soothing.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Avid zwifter for the past six months. I do not own a smart trainer. I use a 10yo kinetic wheel on with Vector 3 pedals and Garmin speed and cadence sensor. I have an iPad setup on one of the TacX tablet holders and it’s been bulletproof. I typically listen to music while zwifting. I have done races and group rides. You will find lots of threads on here regarding zwift racing. I do use training peaks as well. Sometimes, I use zwift in workout mode, but most of the time I let my headphones and Fenix tell me when to increase/decrease power. It is nice to have the heads up display that zwift provides while in workout mode. There was also a zwift newbies on this forum a couple of months ago which may help you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Zwift. I have my road bike on a fluid trainer, and a power meter. On one side of the bike, against the wall, an ironing board holds my laptop, water, towel, and snacks. My trainer and HR strap are connected via Bluetooth to my laptop. I have a small, ~24" TV at eye level in front of me on top of a bookcase, connected to my laptop by an HDMI cord. A fan sits beside the TV on the bookcase, pointed at me. In general I find this setup pretty immersive and convenient.

When I want to ride, I decide whether I want to ride alone, in a group ride, or do a race. Most times I choose a route to free ride that I haven't done yet and that meets whatever goals I might have for the day. Other times I let Zwift "surprise" me. I rarely do group rides because I find them kind of boring and/or restrictive. It's also very easy to create or select custom workouts by dragging and dropping sequences of power/duration blocks.

When I feel fresh I do races. Be mindful that the current state of Zwift racing can be frustrating depending on your ability. Power categories are not enforced so more able riders often sandbag in lower categories and blow up less able riders at the beginning of races. If results matter to you, there is a website, ZwiftPower, that filters race results and can also be used to browse events that are scheduled. Anyway, I enjoy racing periodically and using the resulting power profiles for updating my FTP. Note also that although Zwift is pretty decent cycling simulator it is still a game at the end of the day and there are strategies to learn that wouldn't apply in the real world.

If you have a trainer and a power meter that your are able to connect to your computer (via ANT+ dongle or Bluetooth), you have everything you "need" to try it. Personally, I don't think I could ever train indoors without Zwift or something similar ever again. I find it very motivating to check off routes, earn little badges, and keep pace with other real people. After my rides or races, the data automatically goes to the other apps I use for perusing numbers (Strava and TrainingPeaks in my case).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift primarily for group rides and where I want to be entertained by the virtual world and riders. TR when I just want to get he work done and watch something else.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: How do you use Zwift/Trainer Road? [onelittlequest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onelittlequest wrote:
If you have a trainer and a power meter that your are able to connect to your computer (via ANT+ dongle or Bluetooth), you have everything you "need" to try it. Personally, I don't think I could ever train indoors without Zwift or something similar ever again. I find it very motivating to check off routes, earn little badges, and keep pace with other real people. After my rides or races, the data automatically goes to the other apps I use for perusing numbers (Strava and TrainingPeaks in my case).

Thank you all. It sounds like there isn't one "right" way to do it. I have data going enough places, I don't want it to be that like @damon.lebeouf mentioned, but I also can't see myself being so invested that participating in a "race" on a tv would keep motivated without something else going on like a TV show or some good music.

The above quoted is what I wonder about for myself - I'm not sure how motivating I will feel about routes or badges (right now I see badges on Garmin and Strava and I don't find them motivating). However, racing with real people could be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run Trainer Road (TR) concurrently with Zwift. I have a smart trainer that is controlled by TR and do TR workouts. I pass the time by watching the Zwift scenery. I also sometimes do Zwift group workouts or just ride a route. I use it when too cold, wet, windy, snow, ice outside and not at all in the summer. Good way to keep some fitness in the winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was a zwift beta tester 5 yrs ago and enjoyed it, but really tried to spend my winters out in mountains skiing whenever possible. at that point it was just a tool to make the trainer a little more tolerable. i also tried trainerroad back then, but had absolutely no motivation to make my wattage match the workout numbers while also trying to focus on some TV show....just felt like i couldn't split my concentration between the two. fast forward 4 years to last november and i have a new baby and covid is about to hit. at this point i jumped into zwift full gas. i have now done 109 races since last november, and don't feel burnt out a bit. definitely am stronger, realistically probably a 30 watt ftp bump from racing. i have no interest in badges and routes etc, but the social aspect is pretty cool. during lockdown we would do meetups with local riders, or even the riders where i used to live years ago.

I am also doing zwift on the treadmill with a Runn sensor. i really enjoy the premade workouts for running (but not for biking, because if i want intensity i would just choose a race 100% of the time.) my Vasa trainer will connect to zwift via Ant+ so i can kayak or swim on zwift, (key is to create a separate child's account to have a lower weight, there for a more realistic speed when swimming at my meager 60 watts) Supposely rowing on concept 2 machines will come some day "zoon"
If you think the competitive aspect will pique your interest then definitely jump in a few races and have fun. dont worry there are always a few cheaters and flyers in the lower categories, use zwiftpower.com to filter them out and learn to ignore them.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you use Zwift/Trainer Road? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
If I’m caregiving, my Mom prefers Zwift on the big screen and doesn’t like anything else so I can’t watch movies or anything - she finds Zwift soothing.

you're awesome for doing what you do for her. *thumbs up*

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift on a 50" screen.

Sometimes solo but get hooked up in a similar effort group often.

One or two times a week I'm doing a workout provided by Trainingpeaks. All other rides are done on a track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use both regularly, especially with Covid this year plus the weather starting to turn. I really think that they are complementary.

I essentially use TrainerRoad instead of training peaks to set a plan, track my workouts, add races to the schedule, etc. I have really enjoyed TR's cycling programs as my boy responds well to a lot of sweet spot/threshold and low VO2 work. Their triathlon plans aren't the best, but you can adopt any cycling plans to mix with swimming/running well (case in point, ran a 2:56 marathon extensively using TR's cycling plans to build fitness on the bike all year, including the leadup to the marathon). TR follows a more time-crunch approach with limited Z2/endurance riding, but I like that since I enjoy doing high volume and I use running to add on the extra stress to their plan. They don't have the same level of analytics as TP/other platforms, but the calendar is great for adding workouts and tracking the overall schedule of your training.

Strictly speaking, I don't need Zwift but it's very helpful to have as a complement to TR, especially in the offseason and base building seasons where I am less focused on hitting exact workouts. I have zwift up on the screen during long/steady TR intervals, and as I get close to a race, I use Zwift's courses rather than trainer resistance to get used to hitting power targets by feel. I don't need zwift, but it helps me get in the feel of riding to see terrain pass by and other riders on course. I do like to substitute in Zwift group rides for endurance TR workouts- it especially helps knocking off multi-hour endurance rides in the winter. This past weekend, I did 105 miles (just over 4 hours) on Zwift with a really awesome group (BMTR flat century for those interested, B group averaged 2.9w/kg and just over 25mph). In the offseason, I also like to mix in a Zwift race every week or 2 to get some intensity/threshold work without the mental structure of intervals.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you use Zwift/Trainer Road? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
plant_based wrote:
If I’m caregiving, my Mom prefers Zwift on the big screen and doesn’t like anything else so I can’t watch movies or anything - she finds Zwift soothing.

you're awesome for doing what you do for her. *thumbs up*

I tried to figure out was this was, but wasn’t sure. Can you explain?

I’m assuming it’s for caregivers of someone ill, but am not sure how it works. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
toomanycats wrote:
I also can't see myself being so invested that participating in a "race" on a tv would keep motivated without something else going on like a TV show or some good music.

The above quoted is what I wonder about for myself - I'm not sure how motivating I will feel about routes or badges (right now I see badges on Garmin and Strava and I don't find them motivating). However, racing with real people could be different.

In my opinion, the main draw of Zwift is the immersive aspect. I won't over-state the experience and pretend that it feels like I'm actually riding on the streets of London, New York, Watopia, etc., BUT I do enjoy the movement on screen, the scenery, interacting with the other riders, and so on. Therefore, I would never bother with Zwift if I was going to watch TV at the same time. It would defeat the purpose for me. I can easily Zwift for an hour at a hard pace but I can barely last 20 minutes watching TV or listening to music. There's just nothing to keep me going because they're not connected. Instead, I'm riding along and, oh look, a steep hill, I better grind out some more watts on this section and then, oh look, descent coming up, no need to burn my matches here and then, oh look, a sprint, well I wouldn't want to be caught dawdling here, better give everyone a show. It's just some variety.

Also, to be honest, you'll have a very hard time enjoying and/or placing in races if you aren't paying attention as you'll get dropped and races will quickly become boring solo rides. For that reason, I only race when I'm prepared to go all out and approach or meet my max HR at certain points in the race. They're basically a sprint at the start, FTP test in the middle (but with drafting and pack interaction), and a sprint to the line at the end. I only race about 5-10% of the time.

I'm not trying to sell you but when I started there was a 14-day free trial.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you use Zwift/Trainer Road? [onelittlequest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An alternative to racing on Zwift is the pace partners. You can choose ABCD levels. It’s usually a pretty good group ride. Definitely lower intensity than a race, but still engaging.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
toomanycats wrote:
onelittlequest wrote:

Thank you all. It sounds like there isn't one "right" way to do it. I have data going enough places, I don't want it to be that like @damon.lebeouf mentioned, but I also can't see myself being so invested that participating in a "race" on a tv would keep motivated without something else going on like a TV show or some good music.

You are definitely wrong about 'not caring enough' in a Zwift race. Enter one with people in your correct category (meaning you have others. to ride with the whole race, which is the norm) and you will 110% be at risk of going way too hard for your expected training day rather then the opposite.

I assumed I'd care the least about the racing, but it's the one thing I actually care so much about (even though the result don't mean squat!) that I don't do it at all unless I know I'm willing to give 110%. Not even 100%. Once you've been riding with a pack of 10-20 riders for 30-60 minutes, and it gets hard in the final climbs, you KNOW you're not going to let up even if you are dying!!

The surprising thing for me is that the thing I found least useful over time on Zwift was all the scenery. The scenery/graphics was absolutely the marketing draw that sucked me in, hoping I'd enjoy riding in those virtual lands, but it's actually not that important and not that effective in terms of immersion.

It's the OTHER riders that keep it real and honest. I know this for a fact now since I tried Rouvy as well and while the videos there were also not as immersive as I'd hoped, I vividly recall seeing the elevation course plot on the bottom and seeing the dot of the rider ahead of me and the dot of the rider right behind me (and gaining!) and I pushed myself harder than I would have just to keep that rear guy off as well as to catch that dot in front. Yeah, I was literally chasing dots on a graph. Sad, but effective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen from my friends that picking a trainer platform is liking going to a restaurant and picking from a menu. Everyone has different taste. It's all personal preference.

I started using Trainerroad back in January 2014 before they had plans. I actually used Trainerroad with Sufferfest to do the Sufferfest workouts and specifically, the Tour of Sufferlandria. The Sufferfest videos were engaging. Much more engaging then blue bars of TR. And for me, I don't like watching TV or Movies while on the Trainer. I like music.

When TR and Sufferfest divorced and there platforms would just NOT communicate, I had to choose Mom (TR) or Dad (Sufferfest) and I chose Mom. But the blue bars alone got boring and I just rode outside more. And then I found Aunty Zwift and went to live with her. Love Zwift for Racing and Group Rides, love the gamification with leveling up, got the Tron Bike, got 85% of all the Route Badges. Problem with Zwift is the plans suck for a Triathlete. So I had Mom (TR) move in with Aunty Zwift and I'm pretty darn happy. I have a HALF Ironman Plan on TR that I follow and with two ANT+ sticks I seamlessly run TR on Zwift.

So a perfect training week for me is 3 TR planned workouts while riding Zwift (mostly sweet spot stuff). Then Zwift standalone = 1 Zwift race and Zwift 2-hour group Ride.

Because Triathlon is my main and only hobby, I don't mind spending the money on a Trainerroad and Zwift subscription. Life is short and it keeps me in great health, and it keeps me entertained w/ structure. Sorry about the weird relative analogies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first use/trial of zwift was due to the fact I wanted to start Triathlon but not riding a bike outside (too much reckless drivers).
First reaction was 50-50. When I figured out how it works (some things are complicated for no obvious reasons...) I actively started using it.

My current use is:
  1. For custom workouts (using on Mac or TV, depending how hard/attention the workout ask for).
  2. Easy spins / flushing legs from morning's hard session (on Mac while watching Netflix/Youtube/Podcasts, etc.).
  3. Racing. And that bring us to...

toomanycats wrote:
However, racing with real people could be different.

I have been hooked up to https://wtrl.racing/ by a fellow rider.
First we tried TTT events and now we are actively racing at the League. It's something that keeps me motivated during winter, consistency, keep kms going, etc.

Some times I join zwift events for the fun of it but not too much. Also some time zwift races on Sunday at the end of a 2h ride.
As someone pointed out, zwiftpower.com is useful for such races.

Good luck with your choice!

PS: Have also tried traineroad & sufferfest in the past. If sufferfest had the ability to create your own workouts, I would be in a dilemma. Their videos/training sessions are so addictive vs zwift training alone.

instagram | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive used Zwift but am probably switching to trainer road soon as I dont really care about seeing my avatar move and have heard that trainer road has better built in workouts. So far in Zwift the only workouts i "like" are the SST (short) and SST (medium). besides that Ill just do my own custom built workouts.

but in general I cant watch netflix unless I am doing an easier ride (zone 2, maybe sometimes zone 3). But once I start getting around 85-90% FTP I lose ability to focus on a show and will use music instead
Quote Reply
Re: How do you use Zwift/Trainer Road? [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have every right to like Trainer Road more than Zwift but to say the workouts in one are better than the other because you don't/do like them really isn't fair to either platform.

I'm doing workouts I don't like right now that are making me faster. Are the workouts in TR or Zwift better because I like them more? Not really.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you use Zwift/Trainer Road? [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scooter23 wrote:
Avid zwifter for the past six months. I do not own a smart trainer. I use a 10yo kinetic wheel on with Vector 3 pedals and Garmin speed and cadence sensor. I have an iPad setup on one of the TacX tablet holders and it’s been bulletproof. I typically listen to music while zwifting. I have done races and group rides. You will find lots of threads on here regarding zwift racing. I do use training peaks as well. Sometimes, I use zwift in workout mode, but most of the time I let my headphones and Fenix tell me when to increase/decrease power. It is nice to have the heads up display that zwift provides while in workout mode. There was also a zwift newbies on this forum a couple of months ago which may help you.

why do you use the speed and cadence sensor?

I just installed a quarq, so the S&C sensor is redundant now.

As to how I run it, I have the aforementioned quarq and a cyclops fluid 2 dumb trainer. Sometimes I run it with my laptop connected to my 55" TV, but often when I'm doing a workout I'll just have it running on my laptop with the companion app going on my phone to guide the workout, and either a movie or youtube music videos on the TV.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Zwift with a smart trainer, before that I used a fluid trainer and power meter, and before that just the fluid trainer with virtual power.
For me the point of Zwift is to provide a compelling real time result from my effort. I find indoor training very boring and unmotivating when I'm just looking at a speed, HR or power value on a bike computer. Zwift provides a far more satisfying alternative.
I vary things. Sometimes I do structured workouts, sometimes I race against others, sometimes I do group rides, and sometimes I ride solo and try to beat my PBs on the virtual terrain (most often the climbs in Watopia).
What I NEVER do is use ERG mode, watch TV or listen to music. They all distract me, or undermine my efforts. Knowing how popular it is to watch TV or movies while training, I did try this twice. Hated it the first time, tried it some time later and hated it again. For me, this just stops me enjoying the TV/movie while also making the cycling seem like a huge inconvenience to be gotten out of the way. I'd rather relax and enjoy the movie; and enjoy and get satisfaction from the cycle too. I can only do that by keeping them separate.
My issue with ERG mode is that the fact the resistance changes continuously in response to even small changes in my effort, makes it difficult for me to find a comfortable sustainable rhythm. Unless I really concentrate I find my cadence drifts up or down until I suddenly discover I'm no longer in a comfortable range, and have to struggle to re-establish it. I'd much rather just let my legs control things, get used to a level of exertion and check occasionally to ensure I haven't drifted up or down significantly. Divergent feedback such as you have with ERG mode, just doesn't seem desirable to me. Perhaps I could get used to it with practice, but you can't use ERG out on the road and I don't think it's a beneficial skill. Since I don't like it and miss nothing by ignoring it, why bother?

Main tip for training indoors - Use fans, and just one little desk fan. I use 2 x 18" fans. One is on all the time and I turn on the other whenever I'm not warming up or taking it really easy. A really cold room is not a substitute for air movement - you will still overheat when you're working hard but will also be uncomfortable the rest of the time!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you use Zwift/Trainer Road? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the best of my knowledge, Vector 3s only have a built in cadence sensor. I have the old V1 of Garmin's S&C sensor (magnets on the spoke for speed and the crankarm for cadence) and not the new hub and crankarm mounted independent S&C sensors.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you use Zwift/Trainer Road? [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scooter23 wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, Vector 3s only have a built in cadence sensor. I have the old V1 of Garmin's S&C sensor (magnets on the spoke for speed and the crankarm for cadence) and not the new hub and crankarm mounted independent S&C sensors.

you don't need a speed sensor for Zwift, the software calculates a virtual speed for you. Your PM has the cadence sensor.

You only need the S&C sensor if you're using virtual power (i.e. no PM or smart trainer).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: How do you use Zwift/Trainer Road? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed as long as you trust the speed algorithms within zwift.
Quote Reply

Prev Next