Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you travel with bikes with hydraulic disc brakes
Quote | Reply
I was at the Clermont and Sarasota draft legal races a few weeks back. More and more bikes are now showing up with disc brakes, and some of the fancy ones, e.g. Cervelo S3/S5 and Canyon Aeroad, have no exposed cables and the hydraulic hoses are routed internally. While they are no doubt very sleek, I am wondering how do you travel with them when you need to take it apart to fit into a bike case. For example, I have a Bike Box Allen which requires me to remove the fork. I just don't see an easy way of doing that with all these internally routed cables because I would assume that you certainly don't want to disconnect the hydraulic hoses when flying.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you travel with bikes with hydraulic disc brakes [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct. You don't disconnect the hydraulic hoses.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you travel with bikes with hydraulic disc brakes [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
take the caliper off

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: How do you travel with bikes with hydraulic disc brakes [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does that help ?
(Is it to free up a couple of inches if hose ? Is that enough to remove the fork ? Or just so the bars / stem can be removed off the stearer ?
Quote Reply
Re: How do you travel with bikes with hydraulic disc brakes [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you remove the caliper from the fork, you can remove the fork and aero bar.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you travel with bikes with hydraulic disc brakes [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
both

just depends on your packing situation and how much slack you've built into your routing.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: How do you travel with bikes with hydraulic disc brakes [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't that mean you still need to disconnect the hose from the caliper?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.
Quote Reply