Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you transport your bike?
Quote | Reply
Hey all. I have a few races coming up that We will be driving to and I am looking for a quality bike rack that will fit my car (2014 Camry) but will also not destroy my bike. Do you all have any suggestions?

Honestly, price is a big concern (i'm what they call, broke), but I also understand that spending a little more on a good bike rack will prevent from having to spend a few thousand on replacing our bikes.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you transport your bike? [mdisciple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can find a million different bike racks on Craigslist.

@brad_glasgow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's just the one bike, take the front wheel off and throw it in the back.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you transport your bike? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s two bikes unfortunately. One race is kinda far away as well and we will have multiple passengers and luggage....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mdisciple wrote:
It’s two bikes unfortunately. One race is kinda far away as well and we will have multiple passengers and luggage....

One other option is a roof top carrier for the luggage. I just bought one from Sears on sale (Thule $299) and it did fit wheels. Makes the trip nicer if the bags are up top. For racks, I agree that tons are often available used.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you transport your bike? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, stick it on the roof ;)

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IME you get what you pay for with racks. If you dont have a lot to spend, you might end up with a pos that leads to a bigger bill when it breaks something on your bike ( or drops it on the highway)

Might be just as cheap to rent a van and split the costs with travel companions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a cheap rack (I forget which one, but it was a very basic trunk rack) for years without any issues. It was more finicky to set up than more expensive racks, but as long as you are careful about setting up and inspect it regularly, they're fine.

The thing to watch is whether or not it will fit your frame. It can be a real PITA to fit an aero tri-bike on a conventional trunk rack.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-Compact-Folding-1-Bike/dp/B004C94X12

Just have to make sure you tie the bike to the rack securely. Otherwise, works great and folds up well. They sell versions for 2 and 3 bikes.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree and disagree with going cheap on a rack.

Clearly you are saving a few hundred dollars upfront with a cheaper rack, that will most likely get you by. However if you are going down this route, so not buy anything plastic or that hooks on your car. I wouldn't trust it. All it takes is a cross wind, highway pot hole or bridge joint to send you & your buddies bikes to the carbon skid fest.

I bit the bullet and bought the Kuat NV 2.0 ad it is the absolute best rack for the money. It locks, swings out of the way, keeps all parts of the bike outside the car and is sturdy.

The previous version the NV is also a really good option, and you might be able to find one on ebay or local.

Personally, Ive had roof racks and the cheap racks. Get the hitch rack. I hope this helped a little bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1up hitch rack, IMO this is the best rack, but it isn't cheap.

If a hitch rack is not an option I would go with a roof rack, just place a post it over the instrumental panel which reads "BIKES ON TOP", so you don't forget they are there.
Last edited by: Art M.: May 11, 18 12:40
Quote Reply