Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How do you swim if you wear glasses?
Quote | Reply
This may sound like a stupid question, but I am now going through an eye issue that will stop me from wearing contact lenses and force me into glasses. I am also pretty blind on top of everything. Do they make prescription goggles? I guess lap swimming I can deal with not seeing, but what about open water?

I guess sunglasses are out of the question, too. Shit...this is depressing.
Last edited by: mambwe: Mar 14, 18 13:41
Quote Reply
Re: How do you swim if you wear glasses? [mambwe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prescription goggles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mambwe wrote:
This may sound like a stupid question, but I am now going through an eye issue that will stop me from wearing contact lenses and force me into glasses. I am also pretty blind on top of everything. Do they make prescription goggles? I guess lap swimming I can deal with not seeing, but what about open water?

I guess sunglasses are out of the question, too. Shit...this is depressing.

I wear glasses and just can't see. With masters, they know to tell me when to go since the secs on the clock ate a blur.

They make RX, but check the wright. I have to wear RX Costas when I fish and have neck aches after a few hours because of the weight.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you swim if you wear glasses? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Prescription goggles

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to bring my glasses and set at edge of pool in a waterproof glass case

I never have used a clock at the pool, always my watch

You still have both eyes it seems and can see with glasses. Look for the positives.

Could be way worse
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used speedo vanquisher optical for years. Just get a pair closest to your prescription. You can get them clear or fogged at a good swim store, swim outlet, Amazon, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prescription goggles are $20. Amazon speedo vanquisher. You’re welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you swim if you wear glasses? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Prescription goggles are $20. Amazon speedo vanquisher. You’re welcome.

Vanquisher Optical.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We (Aqua Sphere) make a goggle called the eagle that you can change the lenses in for different prescriptions. You could have two different diopters if you need it.

Very comfortable goggle with great vision in a pool or open water.

Eagle Goggle

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Prescription goggles. You keep them on until you find your bike.
Get prescription sunglasses with photochromatic lenses. I can wear mine in the dark and be good, or in bright sunlight.

NO
Quote Reply
Re: How do you swim if you wear glasses? [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
Prescription goggles. You keep them on until you find your bike.
Get prescription sunglasses with photochromatic lenses. I can wear mine in the dark and be good, or in bright sunlight.

I do the same, and it works well. Just be sure to get a durable frame for your prescription sunglasses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tyr, Speedo, Tusa all make prescription goggles. For stronger prescriptions over -8 there aren't any cheap options, so I just swim with -8 and make do.
So, put on your prescription goggles as you leave transition for the swim start and wander around looking goofy, leave them on until you find your bike again in T1 (this is an important step), switch to prescription sunglasses in T1.

Strong prescriptions in wraparound bike-style sunglasses are hideously expensive. No good solutions, simplest is to get an insert that will fit into a sunglass frame, then get your prescription standard lenses made for that insert.
Just found these,

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/...-and-oakley-m-frame/

will fit an Oakley frame, not too pricey..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
forgot to mention, I got my sunglasses from sportrx.com. I actually spoke with an optometrist that understood an aerobar position on the bike. Was a great experience. Not the cheapest, but really knowledgeable and helpful people.

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the prescription AquaSphere goggles mentioned above. They are freakin’ awesome. I highly recommend. I wear them all they way into T1.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you swim if you wear glasses? [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
We (Aqua Sphere) make a goggle called the eagle that you can change the lenses in for different prescriptions. You could have two different diopters if you need it.

Very comfortable goggle with great vision in a pool or open water.

Eagle Goggle

Jake

+1 for the Eagle's! I've been using them for about 3 years now and they are VERY comfortable. Though, they suck for diving starts - so don't do that in them, ha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear contacts (daily disposables) that I chuck in the bin right after I get out of the pool. But since that isn't an option, speedo vanquishes opticals are your best bet.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: How do you swim if you wear glasses? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:

I don't even bother with a case, I just slip them in my flip-flops

At the beach, I just leave them where we're sitting and go Mr. Magoo when I get in the water; I can see just barely well enough when the waves come to catch a good ride

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check out the Speedo Vanquish.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you swim if you wear glasses? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:

Strong prescriptions in wraparound bike-style sunglasses are hideously expensive. No good solutions, simplest is to get an insert that will fit into a sunglass frame, then get your prescription standard lenses made for that insert.
Try this, I've had great luck with 'em (lost my first pair, but have 3 others now):
https://www.zennioptical.com/...s-/7444?skuId=744412

Just tint them for (a $10 or $15 charge, cannot remember exactly) and they're a great running/riding prescription sunglass choice. I even have a pair tinted yellow for low-light situations.

Anyway you cut it, good prescription sport sunglasses for less than $50. Hard to beat.
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: How do you swim if you wear glasses? [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you, that's a remarkable price.. will give those a try
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before I got lazik it was prescription goggles. That's really the best way as contacts are a poor substitute in case of a broken seal or getting punched/kicked in the face. I used Speedo vanquishers at the time they're good and fit most people. Rx goggles are a little more expensive but still cheap enough.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you swim if you wear glasses? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever slipped a hard eyeglass case inside their wetsuit? Would that work?
Quote Reply
Re: How do you swim if you wear glasses? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this old thread to see if these goggle recommendations still carry water.

Looking for a pair of prescription swim goggles for my 7-year old who is doing her first virtual junior tri race this fall.

I searched through this "best of" list of prescription swim goggles but the choices for kids were pretty paltry, and what's available on Amazon isn't much better.

Semi-pro halfer...
Quote Reply
Re: How do you swim if you wear glasses? [JessicaRandall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you can get the Junior Vanquisher in RX

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: How do you swim if you wear glasses? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:

You still have both eyes it seems and can see with glasses. Look for the positives.

Could be way worse

^^^This. I wear glasses and always wore regular goggles; I had a tinted pair for races to help with solar glare. At the pool I relied on my watch rather than the clock.

I’d say the only time not having my glasses was an issue was finding my row/spot in the transition area coming out of the swim. I used to walk down to the swim exit before the race and count the number of bike racks to mine or find something (tall tree, light pole etc.) to use as a landmark.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply

Prev Next