Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you know if an old powertap hub is dead?
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Is my old SL+ dead? It's been sitting in a humid florida garage for a couple of years and I can't find it with either of my head units (garmin and pioneer). Yes, I replaced the sketchy looking 357 batteries ;) I think it's history.

Just for reference....I got my first powertap hub in 2010 and have (or have had) stages, quarq, and pioneer power meters and an H1 trainer so I'm seasoned at hooking up these things. Also for reference, I'm not beyond doing something stupid.....ripping the R side pioneer sensor off of the cranks when swapping chainrings just last month was my latest ham fisted move.

Just looking for a simple, cheap way to see if it's reached the end of its life. Thanks guys :)
Quote Reply
Re: How do you know if an old powertap hub is dead? [fastskiguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aside from replacing the sketchy batteries, It would also likely be a good idea to clean up the battery contact points with some isopropyl alcohol. If your PT continutes to no fire up, you're likely out of luck:(
Quote Reply
Re: How do you know if an old powertap hub is dead? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good idea. I checked the contacts with a voltmeter, I'm good where the battery interfaces with the "battery holder thing". But the contacts between the "battery holder thing and that "thin flat male connector on the hub" might be a big discolored, it's pretty small and hard (for me) to see. Anybody clean those? Even a toothpick won't fit into that space!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you know if an old powertap hub is dead? [fastskiguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one that is behaving this way but I can find it with my forerunner 735xt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worst case scenario is you send it back to Sram and for ~ $375 shipped they will rebuild the hub & update it to the latest internals. You'll be good to go for another 10 years or so.

It seems I need to send my PT hubs back every 8-10 years for a rebuild. Given how frequently the other PM's my athletes use get sent back for repair I doubt I'll ever switch to anything else.

Ride after ride, rain, sleet, hot, humid, dry Powertap just works more consistently compared to all the others.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check the torque reading if it’s if it’s between 500-524 it’s still good
Quote Reply
Re: How do you know if an old powertap hub is dead? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Worst case scenario is you send it back to Sram and for ~ $375 shipped they will rebuild the hub & update it to the latest internals. You'll be good to go for another 10 years or so.

It seems I need to send my PT hubs back every 8-10 years for a rebuild. Given how frequently the other PM's my athletes use get sent back for repair I doubt I'll ever switch to anything else.

Ride after ride, rain, sleet, hot, humid, dry Powertap just works more consistently compared to all the others.

I'll have to think about investing $$ into this hub but I appreciate your comments. Really.....anything electronic working out in the field for 8-10 years is pretty good and this is an old hub. Thanks :)
Quote Reply