Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How do you choose YOUR race distance?
Quote | Reply
I started racing triathlon sprints a couple years back and immediately thought my plan was to race an Olympic next and then on to a Half Ironman. I Honestly sort of felt that it was the expectation. Who just races sprints after all? Isn't that like only running 5Ks and never enjoying the glory of the longer races?

I was on the verge of signing up for a HIM for the following year when I had a conversation with my bike fitter, who is a front-pack swimmer and a fantastic cyclist. After learning that I had 3 young children at home, he asked "how do you even have time for this?" I told him all I had raced up until that point were sprints, but that I was planning on ramping up the distance. He immediately said "Let me ask you something. How much time can you put into training?" I replied that I try to soak up my time with my kids as much as possible, so at most an hour Mon-Sat. and maybe a 2-hour run/workout on Sunday. Basically, no more than I was already doing (at least until my kids were older and didn’t want to spend time with me!). His response: “You can do whatever you want and there are plenty of people racing longer distances without putting in lots of time, but my advice is to race what you’ve trained for. There’s nothing wrong with racing sprints.”

I think this is the point where I realized the only reason I wanted to sign up for longer races is because I assumed that’s what everyone did and that I might even be judged if I did otherwise, which is admittedly a bit immature. I was certainly not looking to increase my training time, especially after experiencing the training that comes along with a marathon where I miss weekend time with my kids on the longer runs. So 8 sprints later, and signed up for 5 more, and I have yet to experience an Olympic. I still feel like an odd one out, but it works well for me and I place relatively well for a casual triathlon dad since my training aligns with my race distance (USAT score 75 – like I said, “RELATIVELY”). I do have plans to shift to Olympic, but HIMs will just have to wait until further down the road.

So, how have you all chosen your race distances?
Last edited by: mdsfx: Aug 31, 18 8:33
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [mdsfx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting topic. I know most people think triathlon = ironman and when I decided to start doing tri's I thought that was where I would go as well. Kinda the same plan, sprints and oly's for a year, then a half or two, then do IM's. Funny thing happened along the way, I liked the fast pace of the short course races. I trained with a bunch of IM guys, and that long slow stuff just kinda drove me nuts. I decided I wanted to stay short and work on getting faster, not going longer. So Oly's became my sweet spot. I still trained 12-20 hours a week (not so much anymore, for now at least) but I had more intervals, and hard stuff, it is/was fun, not just trudging along for hours on end. I like Oly's because its the distance that proportionally, has the most relevant swim. I'm a slow swimmer compared to swimmers, but I am fast enough compared to a normal triathlete (23-24 minutes). Another bonus is the "big event" for short course, AGNC, doesn't cost several thousands of dollars to go to, but its fun, competitive, easy to qualify for, but hard to place top in your AG. I assume someday I'll do 1 IM race just to say I did it, i probably wont like it, and i'll be a 1-n-done IM guy, and no I wont get the tat. Race an Oly's, drink a beer by noon. That's a great Saturday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my second year competing in triathlon. Honestly, I only started racing as a charity challenge. However, I fell in love with the training. I have 3 boys all under 7. So, my time is cramped. I just completed my first half iron and feel pretty happy with my result but I am planning on focusing more on Olympic distance next year. I definitely needed a few longer workouts to be comfortable with the bike distance for a half but the weekly load isn't that much different between my Olympic and HIM time. We spend so many hours training that the training should be the fun part. The racing is way I can evaluate myself. So, race whatever you want and love the training. That's how I choose my distance. I do plan on going to a full but not until I can do it without overly stressing my wife out. So, maybe in 18 years and all the kids are gone. LOL.

Edit* I forgot to mention my wife and kids love watching sprints. They get to see me more frequently and then we go out for lunch and have a nice family day. So, MY race distance is also about them.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Last edited by: TriRugby: Aug 31, 18 7:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mdsfx wrote:
I started racing triathlon sprints a couple years back and immediately thought my plan was to race an Olympic next and then on to a Half Ironman. I Honestly, I sort of felt that it was the expectation. Who just races sprints after all? Isn't that like only running 5Ks and never enjoying the glory of the longer races?

I was on the verge of signing up for a HIM for the following year when I had a conversation with my bike fitter, who is a front-pack swimmer and a fantastic cyclist. After learning that I had 3 young children at home, he asked "how do you even have time for this?" I told him all I had raced up until that point were sprints, but that I was planning on ramping up the distance. He immediately said "Let me ask you something. How much time can you put into training?" I replied that I try to soak up my time with my kids as much as possible, so at most an hour Mon-Sat. and maybe a 2-hour run/workout on Sunday. Basically, no more than I was already doing (at least until my kids were older and didn’t want to spend time with me!). His response: “You can do whatever you want and there are plenty of people racing longer distances without putting in lots of time, but my advice is to race what you’ve trained for. There’s nothing wrong with racing sprints.”

I think this is the point where I realized the only reason I wanted to sign up for longer races is because I assumed that’s what everyone did and that I might even be judged if I did otherwise, which is admittedly a bit immature. I was certainly not looking to increase my training time, especially after experiencing the training that comes along with a marathon where I miss weekend time with my kids on the longer runs. So 8 sprints later, and signed up for 5 more, and I have yet to experience an Olympic. I still feel like an odd one out, but it works well for me and I place relatively well for a casual triathlon dad since my training aligns with my race distance (USAT score 75 – like I said, “RELATIVELY”). I do have plans to shift to Olympic, but HIMs will just have to wait until further down the road.

So, how have you all chosen your race distances?

As your bike fitter said, there's nothing wrong with racing sprints. Don't worry about what anyone else says. It's your life and you're doing this for fun.

I've everything from sprints to Ironman. I currently do only short-course racing. At 56 years old, the training required for anything above Olympic/Standard distance races is too intense. Maybe it's an age thing but all my race buddies in the 50-59 range are doing the short course races. The longer distances are a huge time suck. I like training but not that much. The jump from sprint to Olympic is much smaller than the jump from Olympic to half-IM distance.

I stopped running marathons for the same reason: it requires just too much time and I am getting injury adverse.

Also, I can race every weekend if I want. Or multiple times in a weekend. I raced four times in April and four times in July. Recovery for the short races is much easier.

If you want variety, try other multi-sport variations. I'm a runner not a swimmer and prefer duathlons over triathlons. I'll also do an occasional aquathlon (swim-run) race for variety.

Don't worry about others. Do what you think is fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 3 70.3's, spread out over 15 years. Every time I do one, I realize I suck at that distance, and much prefer the shorter races. Maybe this time I'll learn.

I wouldn't think about "shifting to" Olympic distance as much as adding that distance to your repertoire.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only been back into triathlon the last two years. At this point I've just done Oly's with a couple 70.3's. I generally like the Olympic distance, as the sprint just feels too short to me. I do the 70.3's because I like the big event feel of the Ironman70.3 events. At this point I'm happy doing mostly Oly's, but I'll probably do a full at some point, just to say I've done it. Plus, my brother has done one, so I can't let him have that over for me forever.

Also, FWIW, the jump from sprint to olympic isn't the big of a deal, and you can certainly do it off your current training load. Honestly, there's no reason you couldn't do a 70.3 off that training load, it's mostly just a matter of pacing.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a few sprints a few years ago, but the swim limited my enthusiasm to the point I quit. I decided I wanted to do tris again, so I joined masters swimming and did 5 sprints, 1 OLY and 2 HIMs in 2016. I did 2 HIMs and one IM in 2017, and learned I want nothing to do with the full distance again. It’s a HUGE time suck, and my only “kid” has been out of the house for 7 years.

I’m going to do a sprint series next year. That’s a lot more fun, to ME. I’ll prob throw in a late season HIM, so ST will think I’m partially “legit” 😀
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting topic...

I went through the typical progression in the sport from fat couch potato, started with sprints, olys, a few HIMs and now multiple IMs. I found as I got better at this, that my ability to perform well at going long far exceeds my ability to go fast and short. But it took years to get there.

My most recent sprint race, although I placed well, I thought was a TERRIBLE relative performance. I felt like I had ZERO ability to push deep into that place where everything hurts and your body is screaming to stop and you have to negotiate with yourself that it's only a few more minutes. I just had no access to that kind of speed. I recently raced an Oly and thought I did "pretty OK", but then two weeks later went out and did a HIM at the same bike power and run pace as I did at the Oly. But my outcome at the HIM was much better than the Oly in terms of time difference relative to the race winner, balanced with race distance (assuming that's a valid metric to use). I was 10 minutes off the race win at the Oly and 23 minutes off at the HIM which makes the HIM time better given the longer race distance.

I have also been able to post some pretty solid IM times, but I am starting to come around to thinking the sweet spot for me is at that middle distance at 70.3.

I am in awe of those guys that stick to the shorter races and can really race them hard. I don't think racing long makes you automatically better in any way. In fact I think way too many people jump up to longer distances way sooner than they should (and I put myself in that category, I should have waited another year, if not more, before doing my first IM). All because someone, somewhere, said 140.6 should be the ultimate goal.

I would love to have the ability to rock it out at a sprint and do well there, but I am not built that way.

You can develop a lot of ability and speed training for short races on only 1hr/day and never going much longer than 2hrs on a weekend. Especially if you make sure you focus on the right sessions to maximize the value of that time you spend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will do any race that has a 5k or less run now. And it needs to be under 3 hours too, so the sprint distance with a long swim is my sweet spot at the moment. I just wish there were more pro sprint races in my day, they had the same mentality you have run into, graduating up in distance as you progress. But it is perfectly fine nowadays to just specialize in under 2 hour races, a lot of them under 1 hour.

Just check out all the new big races popping up, island house, the olympic sprints and relays, and other similar races that are super short, but raced stage race style...
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:
interesting topic. I know most people think triathlon = ironman and when I decided to start doing tri's I thought that was where I would go as well. Kinda the same plan, sprints and oly's for a year, then a half or two, then do IM's. Funny thing happened along the way, I liked the fast pace of the short course races. I trained with a bunch of IM guys, and that long slow stuff just kinda drove me nuts. I decided I wanted to stay short and work on getting faster, not going longer. So Oly's became my sweet spot. I still trained 12-20 hours a week (not so much anymore, for now at least) but I had more intervals, and hard stuff, it is/was fun, not just trudging along for hours on end. I like Oly's because its the distance that proportionally, has the most relevant swim. I'm a slow swimmer compared to swimmers, but I am fast enough compared to a normal triathlete (23-24 minutes). Another bonus is the "big event" for short course, AGNC, doesn't cost several thousands of dollars to go to, but its fun, competitive, easy to qualify for, but hard to place top in your AG. I assume someday I'll do 1 IM race just to say I did it, i probably wont like it, and i'll be a 1-n-done IM guy, and no I wont get the tat. Race an Oly's, drink a beer by noon. That's a great Saturday.

I tell people: "I am a competitive triathlete"
They respond: "OH, I COULD NEVER DO THAT"
Or "Don't you have to run like a marathon and then swim really far?"
Or "Oh yeah, IRONMAN!"

Me: "Um, no I do a sport, there are a variety of different distances, Ironman is a brand", "You could do a sprint Triathlon, you don't have to do an Ironman"
(or something along those lines)

It saddens me that USAT can not get more hype around standard distances, and one company's marketing strategy forces people to believe one way is the only way.

@mdsfx - you're not the odd one out!

I got into triathlons because my uncle was a race director, always liked the short fast stuff. I agree with @tfleeger oly is a sweet spot. I can handle the longer stuff but really choose not to. Go to AGNC you will enjoy it!
There is nothing wrong with shorter distances. I am traveling across the world next month for ITU Worlds

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I will do any race that has a 5k or less run now. And it needs to be under 3 hours too, so the sprint distance with a long swim is my sweet spot at the moment. I just wish there were more pro sprint races in my day, they had the same mentality you have run into, graduating up in distance as you progress. But it is perfectly fine nowadays to just specialize in under 2 hour races, a lot of them under 1 hour.

Just check out all the new big races popping up, island house, the olympic sprints and relays, and other similar races that are super short, but raced stage race style...

I really enjoyed watching the Super League races on the YouTube. fast, frantic, and multiple races over the weekend.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do think that there is a certain pressure to do HIM or the full Ironman distance. It's the same in running where everyone seems to be aiming for the marathon. The reality is that you can train and race hard at any distance. I've competed in just about every distance and to me there is no harder event than the mile. I say race the distance you enjoy and don't worry about what others think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started out doing sprints and slowly progressed to an IM in my 4th year of triathlons. This year I only did sprints. I'm glad I've tried out the various distances but I won't be doing IM distance very frequently. I'll always do some sprints. they're fun and as long as I'm stay fit I can just show up and do okay without crazy amounts of training. I enjoy HIMs but still have to put in more time. I definitely don't concern myself much with what others think doing triathlons should be.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
I do think that there is a certain pressure to do HIM or the full Ironman distance. It's the same in running where everyone seems to be aiming for the marathon. The reality is that you can train and race hard at any distance. I've competed in just about every distance and to me there is no harder event than the mile. I say race the distance you enjoy and don't worry about what others think.

I have been a runner since I was 10yo I did the D1 thing, I have ran 26+ miles in practices. I can't say I have ever felt the pressure to do a marathon. I can see how some would feel a pressure but I don't agree this is the same as that of the pressure to do a HIM or IM.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I've done 3 70.3's, spread out over 15 years. Every time I do one, I realize I suck at that distance, and much prefer the shorter races. Maybe this time I'll learn.

That's about where I am. HIM+ gets to involve too much pacing and nutrition for my taste, and the nature of it means each race is much more important. If you have a bad sprint or Oly, you can roll into another in a week or two, no harm done. If you blow an IM, that's a huge financial and time commitment wrecked, possibly through no fault of your own.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good topic. I'm 29, been doing tri for 9 years. I've done the routine of start with sprints only, then progress to oly, then to 70.3, and I just signed up for my first IM next year which I'm so excited about. Thru the years I've worked to progress my strength and experience gradually, but I choose my races and race distances based simply on what I want to do to have fun and what keeps me motivated. I like trying new things and trying to genetally improve my skills and fitness. Last year I did 4 sprints and one 70.3. This year I did a sprint duathlon, 1 oly, 1 sprint, and 1 70.3. Next year I'll do my IM and most likely an oly or 2 as a tune up. I just like to keep my motivation fresh and enjoy myself in striving for new challenges or experiences. No plans yet for 2020 but maybe by then I'll own an MTB and can have a go at Xterra! I'll diagnose my next move after my IM next year, and what I'll be most excited to go for.

It's one thing I just love about triathlon. There's loads of race distances out there and it's very easy to mix it up and apply the same general skills toward many different types of events, very short to very long and everything in between.

I wouldn't let anyone dictate how you should race, and especially not dictate how you think normal triathletes race. Every person is different. Race however you prefer and do whatever you enjoy the most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started out with a lot of sprints and olympics and eventually moved into HIM and IMs. I used to do a bunch of short races over the summer with one Full IM year. But, as time went on, I stopped doing as many shorter races and focused on only one IM and maybe a 70.3 or 1-2 local olympics (if I get a discount entry) each year. Why? Because I honestly hate racing....especially short stuff.

I used to do all these local sprints because that is what everyone in my area does. Bur, I freaking hate the early wakeups. I hate the fact I don’t have time on course to settle into my pace. I hate the fact that my body just won’t move fast enough for me to feel like I crushed it. So, why was I doing all these races I dont even enjoy???? I had no clue.

I was a distance swimmer all my life because I love the long mind-numbing workouts and the day-in-day-out routine. Also, my body just doesn’t move the way a sprinter should....never have, never will.

So now I just focus on the long training and one long race (which is basically just a really long supported workout anyways). I spend most of my time training because that is what I enjoy the most.

Choose the distance that’s best for you, your body, and your life. This is a hobby. Don’t feel pressured to make it more than that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do what you like/enjoy and have time for. As a recent empty nester with 2 in college I thought I'd have tons of empty time but I've yet to realize that dream and no 70.3s for me this year. I do enjoy Sprints and Olympic distance races although I "feel" like 70.3s are more enjoyable for me... I manage to be 90+ in USAT points, so I do pretty well in the sport with the time I can pencil in.

Racing a Sprint isn't "easy" if you do it a certain way. Same with racing any Oly and honestly if you're enjoying yourself and don't want to have your heart pounding out of your chest and puking as you cross the finish line... who cares?

It's your life, your family, your money, your time, etc. Enjoy the sport the way you want to. My take.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...if you cover the distance you race per week in training you should be ok finishing. Looks like on your volume you could finish 70.3 no problem.
I like 70.3s as a distance and I can finish comfortably on 5-6h training per week. I could probably be faster but my “low volume“ means I can recover well and have not been injured or burnt out or stressed about my training at all ever since I started 4 years ago.

Most of the people I meet think 6h per week is crazy already....slowtwitch standards are different.
Uli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After my first sprint, the idea of finishing an Ironman popped into my head. I realized I only had a few more years before kids entered our family, so I decided to go after it right away. Two years and a 140.6 mile race later, I told myself I'd never do that again... but now I'm sitting around looking at which "easier" Ironman makes sense next year. I wasn't happy with my race execution. Left 1100 calories in the condo to start.... But I still have 18-24 months before my wife is ready to have kids, so if I'm going to do another Ironman, now's the time to do it.

I plan on dropping the distance down to Sprints/Internationals/Oly's/Half Marathons once my time is more precious.

So the answer to your question is simple. I pick my race distance based on the available time I have to train.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [bearlyfinish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to go fast

I’ve done up to HIM but I like the lung busting sprints the best
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great topic

I only do shorter triathlons, every time I do a really long ride, all I can think is “this is so boring”; I just wanna go faster. To me, IM training is horribly boring and I have essentially decided that I just don’t think I will enjoy it and ever want to do it. Even 70.3 training can be long and boring-at least for me.

I love sprints and Olys and pretty much stick to that. If I have a huge week of training, I reap the benefit but I am not forced to have huge weeks to be able to do an IM or 70.3.

It’s just more fun to go faster and still plenty hard if you want to make it so. Rest assured, There is triathlon life beyond IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I exclusively do sprints. I chose this distance because I love being in the red almost 100% of the time in a race, and I feel that the pacing in HIM and IM distances is really boring. When I feel that I have gotten fast enough to race in the red in an Oly, I'll starting doing it.

I don't see myself going into HIM or IM distances in the near future. I'd rather be a top age-grouper in shorter distances than a mediocre long-distance triathlete. I've raced a HIM several years ago and hated it.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [RafaelMB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to say I'm really surprised by the responses. Glad to know I'm not alone!

Definitely hungry for an Oly. Might have to change my distances for the Lake Zurich (IL) and the Chicago next year. We'll see ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that each has it's own challenges if you want to do it well. They're all hard. They're all fun. Except for the Olympic distance. That's the devil.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next