Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you answer this question?
Quote | Reply
When the fact that you are an Ironman comes up in conversation, people ask all the time, "how many times have you done it?" Those of you with perfect records, there is no debate. However, I have finished two and DNF'd once as well.

So, am I three, am I two, am I two and 1/2, am I "started 3, finished 2" ???

How do the rest of you answer?
Quote Reply
Re: How do you answer this question? ['luga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing an IM is kind of like a c%^k pushup. You only need to do one. It doesn't matter if you tried a bunch of times and were unsuccessful.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I've done it enough that I'm now blind in one eye."

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you answer this question? [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"I've done it enough that I'm now blind in one eye."

Hardee, har, har, har....

Its not nice to make fun of the frail and infirm.
Last edited by: 'luga: Jan 7, 06 16:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I answer "13 of 13. Twice injured. I will never quit - that is part of the lesson of being an Ironman." I always hope next time out that I won't eat my words.

best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on o where you DNF'd. You mite be 2 &2/3'ds! Unless you wanna tell the DNF story, I guess, say 2.

I'm at 2. And counting...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got to go with only teh number of times you finished before the cuttoff. Otherwise you haven't "done it".

Say for instance someone asked you how many marathons you've done. You wouldn't tell them 2 if you only trained for two, stepped up to the line and ran a couple hundred yards and quite.

I think "done" refers more to "how many have you finished" rather than "How many have you started"

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: How do you answer this question? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So are you saying the training doesn't count as part of "doing an Ironman"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say two. Or started three and finished 2, if you want to share.

My favorite question, which unbelievably I've received more than once is "do you do the whole thing in your wetsuit?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say the honest answer is that u started 3 but only finished 2. They'd prolly ask what happened to the one u didn't finish..? Thats where u start telling them the whole story and then they'll be more interested in the DNF story.

Paul..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
are you saying the training doesn't count as part of "doing an Ironman"?
I'd agree with that. Anyone can "train" for an Ironman. It's completing one that's the trick. (of course, for most folks it's a given that you can't complete one without training for it.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would respond by asking him/her, "what is your favorite ride?" or "what is something that you like to do when you are not training?" or "Have you read any good books latley?" or "can you tell me a good joke?"
Quote Reply