Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do set up your bike nutrition??
Quote | Reply
I am getting ready to set my P2k up for 1/2 IM distance. I have a Jetstream water bottle, and put the cage on the down tube. I have a small pack behind the seat for tube/co2.

Now for nutrition, I got the gu flask and frame attachment for my hammer gel but I am not sure if I want to attach that to my top tube or not. I am thinking that the Airbag that attaches in front of the Jetstream might be cleaner.

How do you set up your nutritional needs on the bike. Do you tape it on?...Use a bento box?

Do tell

Colleen
Quote Reply
Re: How do set up your bike nutrition?? [Colleen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the flask mount on the top tube of my frame close to the stem. Never been in the way and always easy to get to without getting out of the aero position or having to reach for it. That combined with the Profile aero drink made things very easy for me. I'm currently not using anything other than gel and water for 1/2 IM distances, so I don't need a Bento box. I also have a dual water bottle setup attached to the back of my seat, so that's the setup. Hope this helps.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm training for a 1/2 IM, and last weekend did a 65 mi bike followed by a short run (80 degrees, 80% humidity). Nutrition was my weak spot last year so I'm really paying attention to it now and experimenting with different drinks.

For the ride last weekend I had a double strength aerodrink of GU20 (300 cals) followed by 24 oz water . Next came a bottle of GPush #2 (270 cal). Ending with about 12 oz. water and one GU packet (carried in my jersey pocket.

I really like the liquid calories, they are fast , convenient and you don't need to worry about where to store them. If I can mix the drink on the fly, then I'll only carry my aerodrink and them grab water at the hand-ups that are every 10 miles.

I have also tried taping GU packets to the top tube and it works fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may want to try mounting the flask/frame attachment (if room allows) to the stem.

One method that I have used, is to use a small Bento Box attached to the stem and place nutritional items within it . I've used this at 1/2 IM and IM distances (used Tic Tac containers filled with salt tablets, mints themselves, etc...). I use a Profile Aero bottle up front, so this "little luggage compartment" is rather hidden from air flow (being directly behind the bottle). Otherwise, being that I ride a Softride Rocket TT, I use a frame mounted cage to hold a large water bottle filled with a super concentrated drink mixture (gel). I also use a Xlab Flatwing, but only mount my extra tubes/co2 on it along with a single water water bottle cage. I use this cage for water only bottles (hand-offs at aid stations). I find for myself a bit more security in using the frame mounted cage for my nutrition, simple because I don't need to worry about the bottle being "ejected" during a race. By the way, I generally use the Profile Aero bottle for water only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Empfield has a good description of using GU packets on the bike. I think it's in a iron-distance nutrition article with a sub-heading of "Putting on the Feedbag at 25 miles/hour" or something like that.

You tape the top of the GU packets to the top tube with black electrical tape, overlapping the packets. When you want to eat, rip the packet open, leaving the tape/top of packet stuck to the top tube.

I tape the packets near the seat tube so that my knees don't scrape the packets. I eat 3/hour for a half-IM distance.

The only problem with this method is that when you pee, it usually sprays over the packets. But I've read that urine is sterile, so I don't worry about it too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For 1/2 IMs I have gatorade in my JetStream, 1 water bottle on the frame, 1 Gatorade bottle on the frame, and 5 gels taped to the top tube up near the front of the bike so I don't pee all over them. I eat the gels closest to me first to get knee clearance as soon as possible. If the course has adequate support, I'll won't have the extra frame mounted gatorade bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: How do set up your bike nutrition?? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of "peeing" on the bike. I'm training for my first half and full IM distances this year. Do you GUYS really just go on the fly? In your tri shorts?
Quote Reply
Re: How do set up your bike nutrition?? [rkuehn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can just go over the top! Practice on a deserted road out in the country first.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: How do set up your bike nutrition?? [rkuehn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely! Best down downhill with no one behind. USe water bottle from aid station to rinse. Repeat as necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: How do set up your bike nutrition?? [Navi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well even better if someone's sucking your wheel. ;)

Seriously, I just wait for a flat or downhill stretch of road, relax, and get my relief on!! No need to whip it out or anything, just go in your saltwater/sweat/roadgrime drenched tri shorts. As suggested, use your water bottle to rinse if necessary. The biggest trick is keeping it out of your shoes, especially important if wearing socks. I try to keep my feet at 3 and 9 o'clock and adjust as necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: How do set up your bike nutrition?? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hard part is cleaning/drying of the bike. Ever smelled down the seattube after the race? Can this act damage the bb?
Quote Reply