Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How do i ride my bike AND keep my girlfriend?
Quote | Reply
UPDATE:

We got married!

Original whiny message:

I just finished my monthly argument with my girlfriend about cycling. This argument is always about me doing rides on both weekend days and her wanting us to go somewhere, fun... I hate fun. I just want to get on my bike and ride up a mountain until I puke, that is as close to having fun as I need to get. This argument is becoming more and more frequent and I get the feeling that our relationship will be longer and happier If I figure out how to be a cyclist and have fun too. I would love to hear some suggestions from the veteran riders out there who have figured out how to work, train, and have a relatively happy home life. Do you set aside a few hours a week for the lady, or maybe a whole day? I wish I could do this without being so analytical, but as I already confessed I was born missing the part of my brain that needs fun. If anyone has made a spreadsheet I can use that would be ideal.

Thanks!

Last edited by: joey8legs: Aug 25, 13 16:55
Quote Reply
Re: How do i ride my bike AND keep my girlfriend? [joey8legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This girl is as good as gone.......find one that rides.

Don't fight it.....people that don't ride NEVER will get those that love to ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) This girl may not be the one for you, you're not even married yet and arguing about stuff like this?
2) Have you thought about compromise? Dating is often about doing things together. Who cares if you dont like fun? She doesn't like cycling. How can you expect her to put up with your cycling if you wont go do stuff with her on a weekend?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a long battle to get my wife into triathlons. We now have something in common. downside....we cannot train together because of kids, different levels and abilities....so now we have fights over who's turn it is to train!
Quote Reply
Re: How do i ride my bike AND keep my girlfriend? [jmX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, compromise. This is what I want to learn to do. I love the girl and we are getting married next year (I hope). I would love to know what other guys in a relationship with a non-cyclist have done to keep it running smooth. Any good compromise intervals I can do to increase my compromise threshold?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to find a boyfriend who was as passionate about cycling as you. Let's just say I have the same issue you have with your GF, but with guys. They think it's cool I'm a chick and ride a bike, BUT when Friday evening rolls around and I'd rather stay home so I can go to bed early because I'm riding at 6am Saturday, well let's just say they are no longer impressed and supportive of my triathlon ambitions. You definitely need to find a new girlfriend, because I'm sorry to say, it's not going to last.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am nowhere near being a seasoned triathlete or cyclist, but since I took up the sport 6 months ago, I have had time management issues with training and the wife. Fortunately for me, my friend/Ironman suggested I get my wife a bike as a surprise gift and low and behold IT WORKED!!!!

Even though we only ride together once a week, she feels completely included in my training and has also begun to swim and run with me!

If i dedicate one night to her (Dinner and some drinks) along with a few short rides, swims or runs, she has no problems with long training days without her anymore, not to mention the benefit of seeing your wife getting into better shape!

Buying your wife a bike may not be the immediate solution for you, but maybe including her into some of your workouts will help her see your trying to spend time with her all the while your getting some training in at the same time!

Goodluck!!

A true warrior leave no openings-Except in his mind.
Quote Reply
Re: How do i ride my bike AND keep my girlfriend? [KyraMorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DOOMED, DOOOOOOOMED!

I should have known better than to tempt fate. I'll go pack my things now. It would be better if I wasn't there when she got home...

But really, any advise on how to make this WORK?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. I don't know if it's possible. I have been dealing with the same thing and broke things off over the weekend. He hates how much I train and often tries to sabotage my training from a time, diet, drink, and sleep perspective. It doesn't work which causes even more friction so Friday night I pulled the plug on the whole thing. I was upset for a minute then by morning felt really happy about it. Now he wants to try to work it out but I know that if we do, there will be a serious line in the sand. My training is a part of the package so deal with it or walk.

Life is hard enough without people who don't get it pressuring you to live a different lifestyle. I don't really know where the balance is but I know I like who I am and how I feel when I am training hard. When I used to go out and have "fun", I wasn't nearly as happy, though I may have sporting a little less attitude. I find I am happiest and most motivated when I am around people who get it. In lieu of that, I'd prefer to be alone.

Of course, this is a girl's perspective and you asked for guys, veterans at that.

Coach Brain: Accelerate 3 ; Incoherent Ramblings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my bike is my girlfriend. works out much better that way.
Quote Reply
Re: How do i ride my bike AND keep my girlfriend? [KyraMorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The odds are good but the goods are odd in your area or something? I'd love to meet a girl that actually wakes up early.

To the OP, you gotta work on the compromises if you're planning on getting married to her later. Can't switch up the rides during the weekday?

http://tricook.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doomed. Sorry :(

Any of you girls want a boyfriend whose ideal date is a 100 km ride up a mountain... pm me
Quote Reply
Re: How do i ride my bike AND keep my girlfriend? [Rhymenocerus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh, hadn't thought of that!
I'm not sure what goes where though, I may need an illustration...
and some chamois cream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride about fifteen hours a week and have a girlfriendthat won't look at a bike. Get her a dog. When i'm out riding long on the weekends, she's taking her dog to the dog park. We finish at the same time and are both happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which did you do first? That is a question you haven't answered. If you came into the relationship as a cyclist, tell her to take a hike. If cycling came into the relationship, you'll likely need to compromise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if it's a monthly argument now it's going to be weekly when you get married. Do you guys live together now? If not as soon as you do it will become an issue because things you are supposed to do on the weekend won't get done.

Or it could be timed with her period in which case I'd figure that out and make the weekend before it a recovery weekend and spend as much time w/ her as possible then send her on a spa weekend the week she has her period. Win/win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Girl I'm dating now is a hot little nerd chick. Her idea of being active is vastly different from mine, obviously. We go hiking.... she's strolling and smelling flowers and taking pictures.... and I just want to run up the mountain until I puke. She does swim though. :)

Anyway, she doesn't ride of course. So here's what we do. When we are together I get up early (she's not a morning person) and ride before she gets out of bed. Or I ride the 20 miles to her house, and back. (I left spare clothes at her place.) She gets to see me so she's all for that. Or on a weekend we drive somewhere fun for her, a park or a forest or beach or whatever, and I leave her there to stroll and I go to an out and back ride. I usually know how long I'll be gone so she knows when to expect me.

There's always a way.
Quote Reply
Re: How do i ride my bike AND keep my girlfriend? [ICSTG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I came in to the relationship a lot less serious about cycling than I am now. Over the last 3 years my addiction has gotten worse. We live together and she has been very supportive of my bike collection in the front room of the house and our shed slowly being taken over by extra parts and tools. All things said, she has been pretty supportive of my racing and wants me to continue. I will have to look in to what SpicedRum suggested; Maybe there is a chart on training peaks for plotting your girlfriend's period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i personally think it's unrealistic to do long rides on both weekend days. from a training perspective it's not a good idea anyway. i'd strike a deal with the gf to be allowed to ride on one of the days, e.g. sat and ride up to no later than say 2pm. even if you start at 7am that's 7 hrs of riding or 180km if you are any good at all. for the sunday, make it a long run or swim/run day. a long run is 2 hrs max and even a brick shouldn't take more than 3 hours. that leaves plenty of time for other activities with the gf.

It's what i tend to do anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's an app for that;) seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drop her off at my place, after I ride of course, and I will take her mind off your selfish bike riding by showing her how Navy Divers Go Deeper and Stay Longer!
Quote Reply
Re: How do i ride my bike AND keep my girlfriend? [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh...

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you think this is hard, wait till you add kids + then your career starts to open up too. Choice, choices, choices. Solutions? Simplicity, focus, communication, flexibility.....all the advice I can give. The most important thing is that you're both committed and keep open minds. Be prepared for lateral thinking like this: Sure, lets visit your friends who live 150km away - but I'll go early and ride over.
Quote Reply
Re: How do i ride my bike AND keep my girlfriend? [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. Had this issue last week as I prepare to move back to Scotland from NZ. Visited sister in law north of where we live. Rode the 90k from her house to Taupo, starting ahead of wife. Met wife in Taupo for coffee. Happy all round. Over time you both learn how to fit it all in, and it's definitely a challenge. I've just signed up for my first full IM and I have full and guaranteed support for all that entails....this time only. After that, all bets are off. I'd imagine it might be a very long time before I do a full IM again although I think 70.3s and shorter are definitely pretty doable with family.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As you have no doubt observed, there are two lines of thought in answering this question, which shows up rather commonly here and in other circles. First, those which, by saying, "I don't want to give up any of my things", "it's either the whole package or nothing", etc, implicitly acknowledge our generation has become extremely egocentric. As endurance sport junkies we can be particularly more so, as the commitment to regular training easily leads workouts and races to outshine other, more mundane activities. There's an implicit notion that if you want your training to succeed, you have to sacrifice other undertakings. Opposing this line of thought, you'll hear those shouting "Balance!", claiming that a fulfilling life with a significant other can only be reached when you give up (part of) your own aspirations.

I'll call bullshit on both sides.

Consider this issue from two different perspectives (a sort of reductio ad absurdum argument): in one, you're the new Sagan or Wiggo; in the other, unable to ride for more than 5 miles, you'll never make it past Cat 5. For the first case, society would be quick to recommend you ditch your girlfriend and focus on your great talent, whereas, for the second, the advice would easily be to forget the whole bike thing and give your real life some attention. Yet, even in those two extreme situations, I hold both advices to be extremely narrow-minded. Maybe in spite of your potential to win the next 8 Tours in a row, you still want someone to go back home to, or, maybe, you find fulfilment in the pursuit of goals incomprehensible to others. You have one sole obligation to yourself. Whether you choose to fulfill it by having a meaningful relationship to someone, by having lactate burst out of your ears, or by any combination of the above (or whatever else floats your boat, really!) - it's your choice, and yours alone.

joey8legs wrote:
I came in to the relationship a lot less serious about cycling than I am now. Over the last 3 years my addiction has gotten worse.
Is it really an addiction? Or have you rather found a new meaning for your life? I don't know you - how old you are, where in life you're situated, or what your long-term goals were or are - but, some ten years ago, as I considered giving bike racing my first serious shot, my love for the sport was diagnosed as an addiction, and I ended up following all those who gave me the sound advice to concentrate on my studies, career and relationships, keeping cycling as a healthy diversion on the side. A few years down the line, I had but a lacklustre interest in racing, and even gave up riding altogether after being run over by a car in a training accident. For a while, I managed to live a normal life. Finished my studies, found other hobbies, started a new relationship, but it slowly came back to me, as a void burning me from the inside. I rode a bit here and there, signed up for a crit, met old riding buddies. Tried to figure how could I squeeze one hour of riding, then two - I was hooked again. My girlfriend at the time, at first very supportive of this new-found interest, started having issues as my time was being increasingly dedicated to a rather insane sportive pursuit. I wanted to plan my vacations around training camps and stage races, romantic weekend getaways had to make way to four-hour training rides in the mountains. Now, I really liked that girl - but there was a side of me missing when we started, and it became increasingly hard to cope with as the wheels fought to regain their space. We broke up about half a year later, not without a number of monthly, then weekly quarrels much like you've described. I went on to restructure my life around cycling, including moving to a different continent in search of better racing, and reconsidering my professional career to allow me to stay closer to my passion. At the same time, this commitment hasn't prevented me from developing a relationship with a loving runner-turned-triathlete, with whom I couldn't be happier. Now, it may be a coincidence that she is also an endurance athlete - she could as well be a dedicated artist, or a skydiver - the central issue being someone who shares a common point-of-view, in particular on such an important subject as what the priorities in life should be.

Good luck whichever way you may go.

Yours in arms,

Ricardo Wickert | Team Magnesium Pur - Germany | My sporadically updated blog: The Thin Grad Line | My team-issued TT bike: Trek Speed Concept 9

2015 Sponsors & Partners: Magnesium Pur | Ullmax | B&W Bike Cases | Ristorante La Dolce Vita | Trek Bikes via Bici-Sport Binder
Quote Reply

Prev Next