Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do i pick a saddle?
Quote | Reply
Guys

How do I pick a saddle?

I’ve been riding the fizik saddle that came on my cervelo (I think it’s the Arione) since I bought it.

Want something shorter, that will allow me to better roll my hips forward.

None of the bike shops in my area (AUSTIN) have a set of TT demo saddles ...

Where do I start?
Quote Reply
Re: How do i pick a saddle? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do my research, pick my saddle, find the cheapest option online and ride it for a period and if no good repeat and sell that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they don’t have a test saddle, ask them what the return policy is.

I have had good luck with Specialized saddles, for what it’s worth. I use the Toupe on my road bike and the sitero on my Tri bike. I would imagine a specialized dealer would return a saddle or have a test saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Research
Buy
Test
Sell
Repeat

Buy used and you probably won’t be out much, if any, money other than some postage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to avoid buying and re-selling, there are some companies around who will ship you a test saddle for a few weeks for a small fee and then you send it back. I did this several years ago when I couldn't find the model I was interested in locally.
Quote Reply
Re: How do i pick a saddle? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ive used sportfit-lab to rent saddles. good people to work with.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My local shop allow me to try several different ones, ofcourse when you they buy it is more expensive than than online/craiglist.

Otherwise find one you think you like, buy it used on craiglist, if it does not fit, you can resell for almost the same price and keep doing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking for something a little more scientific. Ha

Guess this one is just on feel

My old shop used to have a rack of 10-15 saddles that someone could demo from. No one local has more than 3 TT saddles in stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's nothing terribly scientific in saddle selection unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Re: How do i pick a saddle? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So when I read on “fit” posts, that people need a saddle that allows for more tilt - which allows for that??

For example, on my saddle when I ride the tip of the nose (not sure how much I’m on top, ga on the end... seems close) I can rotate forward pretty well, but that’s a hard position to hold because I’m also jamming myself backwards to stay on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is that the question may not make sense with another saddle because the requirement for tilt may well specifically result from your current saddle and position.
I would strongly recommend trying a split nose saddle like an ISM or Cobb JOF.
And give them a fair trial period. They support you very differently than a conventional saddle so it will probably be uncomfortable at first and need several rides over 2-3 weeks before you've adapted. This was the case for me and thereafter I was delighted.
Remember your conventional saddle hurt when you first started cycling. You've adapted, but that adaptation does not carry fully to the split nose types.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found this video for you

Lots of other interesting stuff as well. Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread has a lot of good information

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ifty%20five#p6258992
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Selle SMP website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go to a reputable fitter. Try *all* the saddles. Pick the one that gives you that "aha" moment.

mvenneta wrote:
Guys

How do I pick a saddle?

I’ve been riding the fizik saddle that came on my cervelo (I think it’s the Arione) since I bought it.

Want something shorter, that will allow me to better roll my hips forward.

None of the bike shops in my area (AUSTIN) have a set of TT demo saddles ...

Where do I start?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply