Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How did you crack your frame?
Quote | Reply
I've never crashed a carbon bike, thankfully. Once, I did slam an aluminum Trek at about 40mph but emerged with only a small dent in the TT.

I see pro riders crash in grand tours, get up, and hop back on their bike to continue their screaming descent down some european mountain. I've also heard pro bikers say that frames aren't the thing to worry about upon a crash, but rather the components and wheels.

So it sounds like carbon isn't as fragile as I had made it out to be. But I'm sure some ST'ers have cracked their frames.

How did you do it?
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not when I was on the bike or anything, luckily. Backed my Jeep (with Cervelo P3 on the rear bike rack) into an oncoming car... it was horrible. It cracked in two, seriously. It looked almost comical in two pieces with cables everywhere. The Jeep and other car were fine.

Editing: PS... Cervelo was awesome with the replacement.
Last edited by: perfcctionist: Apr 8, 11 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [perfcctionist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say they were awesome about replacing it, do you mean it was warranteed?

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it was not because of what I did... Cervelo should not have eaten those costs. I crashed it into a car with my Jeep, so no warranty.

But Cervelo wanted to inspect the frame and check out its integrity under the crash. The day after I took the bike into my bike shop, a Cervelo rep contacted me and my bike shop and we sent the frame, fork etc. to Cervelo. They were very interested in seeing the crash impact since it was so severe.

For us sending the frame in, they had me a new frame shipped in two days and threw in a new fork and saddle which did not need to be replaced. My home owners insurance picked up the costs for the frame replacement and the rebuild / repairs.
Last edited by: perfcctionist: Apr 8, 11 12:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cracked a cervolo soloist aluminum frame (under the bottom bracket). I'd like to assume it was from the massive amount of power I was putting into it....but honestly, I have no idea how it happened. I had to send it in to Cervelo and they sent me a new S1 frame for the cost of shipping within a week. I just bought a P3C partially because of the fact that they treated me well with my old bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I crashed my P2C, flew about 30 feet. Bike fell on the drive side (and I) hit the ground hard. I fractured my hip and pelvis. Although you could not see it the derailleur hanger took a major shot and it caused some issues shifting after that point.

I worked with my LBS and Cervelo rep. and got a replacement. Within a few weeks. I couldn't ride the bike for five months so my son made out like a bandit.

Now we both have Cervelo's. It's hard not to go back to them with the great service.
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [perfcctionist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your Cervelo replacement experience has been quite different from mine.
I discovered a crack in my soloist carbon and took it to my local Cervelo dealer (different shop than where I bought it, as they are no longer a Cervelo dealer).
Pics were taken to send to Cervelo. Two weeks later, no word from shop, so I call... "oops, never sent in the pics".
OK, I can understand the shop not being very motivated, as I did not purchase the bike from them originally. So I wait...
A few days later, I'm told the original pics weren't clear enough, can I take some higher res pics?
Sure. Pics taken and emailed to shop within hours. A few days later, I'm told Cervelo wants to inspect the frame.So I drop the frame/fork off at shop the next day.
Two more weeks pass. I've heard nothing. Then the LBS calls- replacement frame is in! I go to pick it up and... it's the wrong size! That was 3 weeks ago. Still waiting for delivery of the frame to the shop, but at least I now have a tracking # showing the frame is on the way and due next week.
This seems a comedy of errors, but, damn, it's been just shy of seven weeks!
This has been quite a test of patience, especially for a supremely impatient person (me)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a problem with my 2004 Litespeed Ultimate. Turns out the carbon seat stay had "unbonded". While inspecting the frame, Litespeed discovered that the headtube was cracked.

All work being done under warranty and decent turnaround time.

I'm paying them to rebrush the frame and install new decals.

Only drawback is that the new headtube doesn't handle integrated headsets, so I have to buy a new headset. Good excuse to upgrade to a Chris King.

Very pleased with Litespeed on this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look 496.
Knee whacked the junction where the rear brake cable enters the frame on the left side of the top tube, during a sprint. Punched a hole in the frame, caved the cable into the frame. Oh well. Now I get a Speed concept. WINNING!

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [TigerBlood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is my story:

I was doing a quick ride prior to a roubaix style race (the day before actually) when I ran over a road flare hanger. My wheel kicked up the hanger and it logged into a link in my chain; as it went through the chain it ripped the rear deraillieur off my bike and slammed it into my chainstay, which then cracked.

http://flexthatframe.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JRA, and this happened. http://www.flickr.com/photos/swoo/2299744006/
someone coming the other way said he'd never seen anything like it - the bike just fell apart while I was pedaling on a flat stretch of road.

Twenty years ago I had a MB-Zip and one hard bump later I had two MB-Zip halves, pre digital photography sadly.
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [reventon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
worst luck ever getting that to land just inside the chain
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [reventon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow !!!!Bet you could never do that again in a trillion tears!

Re: How did you crack your frame? [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was out in France from home in the UK. Took Cervélo R3 SL out of bike box and placed on friends bike stand to build up. Turned around to get some tools and tripped on my bike box lying on the ground, fell sideways into the stand and knocked it and frame over. Left seatstay of frame struck concrete plant pot and smashed. Frame wrecked. Was able to borrow a bike from friend for the duration of the trip and subsequently replaced frame under Cervélo's crash replacement scheme.

It still hurts when I think about it ( mostly my wallet ) :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many years ago(mid 90's) I took my Trek 5200 to my LBS to have it stripped of components and have the frame shipped to Trek for a new paint job. I had the bike 5 years and wanted a change. My LBS called to let me know Trek found a crack in the frame around the BB. Trek replaced it with a new 5500 frame at no cost to me. I still have that bike.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never owned a carbon frame, so I've never had a chance to break one. However, I was in my local bike shop shooting the shit with the mechanics when a regular brought in his bike for a crash replacement. He leaned his bike up against the wall in the garage after a ride, got a few steps away and watched as it slowly fell over onto his bench vice... punching a hole in the top tube.

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it me or are Cervelo's highly represented on this thread...........?

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Orbea Ordu was ruined by Federal Express ground when I sent it out to CA for tri camp last month packed in Thule bike box with pipe insulation around frame.

Bike was inspected by an independent claims adjuster and still waiting to hear from Federal Express.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.bustedcarbon.com/
I'll stick with titanium bikes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a QR Cd0.1 last year and had to return it (long story and I'd rather not get into). I packed it myself carefully with bubble wrap all over and shipped it by UPS in the same bike box it came in with. Then I was told by the shop that my packing job wasn't good enough and the head tube cracked. I didn't get to see it as the shop refunded me and said they were going to file a claim with UPS. I'm happy that I got my money back but I really can't fathom what could've happened during shipping to crack the frame, even with a less than perfect pack job. I guess it'll remain an unsolved mystery.
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [Jie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because UPS beats the crap out of your packages. Sometimes they even run over them (true story.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hit a cliff head-on on my Giant TCR in Glacier NP. Cracked the top tube just in front of the seat tube junction. Fixed and painted by Calfee for $400, including shipping. Many miles afterwards with no problems.

Of course, bought a new frame prior to learning about calfee's repair program, so my wife claims i crashed just to get a new bike, but that's a whole other story...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nobody's constipated on race morning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke a Specialized Tarmac frame..... It fell off my bike rack when I was driving at 50mph. Specialized crash replaced it through the local dealer. I had a 2006 s-works and the replacement was a 2011 s-works sl3.

Thumbs up for Specialized!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I busted a Softride Rocket Wing, two small cracks on either side just behind the pivot/cam. I noticed it while cleaning the bike. I had previously been doing a series of hard standing starts and all-out sprints on it. That noodle of a frame just wasn't made for stuff like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchases a used look 585 from a shop in London, ride it for about 2 months, I then noticed a crack in the driveside chain stay. Dont know how it happened. Look replaced the used bike I'd bought with a brand new frame if the shelf on the same day I brought it into the store. I only has to wait fit the mechanic to build it up. Not sure you can get better than that.

I ended up selling it and bought a colnago cristallo, now living in manhattan. I rode the crap out of it on rides that took me through manhattan and also jersey city. One day I was descending a hill in Fairfield county and the brakes were rubbing, I reached down see if it was my zero g brakes misaligned, I then realized the seatstay/dropout were completely fractured. Luckily the whole thing stayed together and I did not crash, if I'd got out the saddle i I think inwould have done.

I think it was just the quality of the roads over a long period that caused the damage cumulatively. I sold it as is on eBay and bought a used BMC promachine. No issues with the promachine but I don't live in the city anymore.
Quote Reply

Prev Next