Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How come any nationality can participate in regional championships (eg. European champs)?
Quote | Reply
I wonder why a person of any nationality can participate in regional championship.

For example, last weekend was european championships 70.3. Rudy von Berg (USA) won. In any other sport (cycling, swimming etc.) only europeans can participate in european championships. The same seems to be true for other regional championships as e.g. ironman texas (for north america).

Does anyone know what the rules for this are? Or should these titles be seen more informal? I don't really mind, but I just find it weird that it is so different from other sports.
Quote Reply
Re: How come any nationality can participate in regional championships (eg. European champs)? [Timmetje] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timmetje wrote:
I wonder why a person of any nationality can participate in regional championship.

For example, last weekend was european championships 70.3. Rudy von Berg (USA) won. In any other sport (cycling, swimming etc.) only europeans can participate in european championships. The same seems to be true for other regional championships as e.g. ironman texas (for north america).

Does anyone know what the rules for this are? Or should these titles be seen more informal? I don't really mind, but I just find it weird that it is so different from other sports.

The rules are anyone can participate and win. IM is not a "national/EU champs", that kind of thing is governed by ITU, who the picks races for that kind of thing (which gets very little attention in general).

It is merely a statement of a race with more price money, WC slots etc. and maybe some bragging rights, but nothing more than that.
Quote Reply