Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How cold is too cold for a sleeveless wetsuit?
Quote | Reply
I just found out that the water temp is hovering around 58 degrees in Montauk, NY where I'll be participating in an oly distance race on June 7 (not that far off). Here's the rub: I have a QR sleeveless wetsuit (with leg coverage) am I nuts to even think about swimming in water that will be 60 degrees at best on race day in my current wetsuit? My wife thinks so, and is more worried than me. I'm actually looking for reassurance here, as the idea of plopping down $250.00 for another suit with arms is beyond my means at this juncture. Anybody out there want to sell a used one to fit a 5.11, 175 lbs guy? Just kidding, sort of. Please advise.
Quote Reply
Re: How cold is too cold for a sleeveless wetsuit? [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have swum in 58F water with no wetsuit for more than 1 hour. That was after serious training to get used to the cold water, but still, you should be OK with your sleeveless wetsuit. I believe that you should worry more about protecting your head than your arms. Get one of those neoprene caps. Yes, you may feel a little cold after the swim but it seems feasible to me. Now, whether you should have a sleeveless wetsuit on the first place is a different issue...

Good luck and let us know how it went!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First - I'll second the hood/cap thought. I've seen olympic class swimmers unable to swim in cold water cuz they couldn't stick their head/face in the water - breathe - swim - cuz they'd hyperventilate....(LA County Lifeguard Test - Spring - water can be low 50's - no wetsuits)

As for a sleeveless wetsuit - I think it would be fine. Any possibility of doing a practice swim in that water or similar temp water? That would answer your question quickly.

Some variables to think about:

How much water gets into the body of your suit - if its almost none - you're body should stay fairly warm. If you get a fair amont of flushing - you'll get cold. How long in the water - longer = colder. Cold water experience?

Some people get numb arms in cold water and then can't pull effectively cuz they lose the "feel" of the water - yet some people get this with sleeved wetsuits.....

Some would say get the sleeved wetsuit now as your wife is sympathetic to spending the money and you'll be more comfy and most would say faster.....

I've swum alcatraz with and without wetsuit (sleeveless only) - and other swims sans wetsuit in the low 50's - its doable but I was faster and way more comfortable doing alcatraz with a wetsuit (again sleeveless) - but I've grown up doing fairly cold ocean swims.....

Hope this helps.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Promotion wetsuits has a neoprene top that you can wear under a sleeveless wetsuit to keep you warm. I swam sleeveless in my lake in April and it was 58, after 30 min. I came out shivering and needed a long warm shower to feel right again. I think I'm sensitive to cold water b/c the pool where I swim is usually 82-84. Some people adjust easier to cold temps but not me.
Quote Reply
Re: How cold is too cold for a sleeveless wetsuit? [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Promotion wetsuits has a neoprene top that you can wear under a sleeveless wetsuit to keep you warm.[/reply]

Out of curiousity, could a person wear one of the T1 (or Dos / Tres) tops over or under a sleeveless suit? I only ask b/c desoto.com had Tres tops on sale for $80, approximately the same price as the Promotion tops.

Assuming a good fit, would the swimmers equilibrium in the water be thrown off by so much material around the torso?

maurice
Quote Reply
Re: How cold is too cold for a sleeveless wetsuit? [mauric6943] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to the Promotion website (wetsuit.com) and purchased last year's model: "Men's 2002 Tri Sleeves" (at substantial savings: "only" $59.00) to fit under my sleeveless wetsuit. I should have it by next week at which time I'll let all those who are interested know how it feels under my sleeveless wetsuit. Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. P.S. My wife thanks you all too.
Quote Reply