Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How close together are your races?
Quote | Reply
I just did my fourth "official" Marathon. I have done several ultra marathons and quit before the end. Any way, I ran a 2:59 and some change. I felt like I had a bad race. I have gone faster, but not much. How far apart does everyone spread their races?

For the NCTS series this summer there will be about two races a month, sprint distances. I really enjoy racing, but wonder how much is too much? Just thought I would go trolling for ideas.

"Nothing in life ever just happens. Calculated progression insures your strength."
Shawn Spencer
Bike Cycles
Wilmington, NC
http://www.bikecycleshop.com
Quote Reply
Re: How close together are your races? [Shawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year I did a Half-Marathon, 3 olympic distance races and one Bike Marathon (147km, 4300m height) in 5 weeks:
15. June Half-Marathon, 23.June Tri, 30.June Bike Marathon, 7. July Tri, 20 July Tri

Between this races I didn't train a lot. After the Bike Marathon (Maratona dles Dolomites) I spent a week holidays in the Dolomites where I run only once.
I never felt tired/exhausted from racing that much.

This summer my plan is the follwoing:
1. June MD Tri Caracassone (F) 2/80/20
15. June Olympic Tri
30. June probably Sprint Tri (not sure)
6. July Olympic Tri
13. July perhaps Sprint Tri
27. July IM Switzerland
10. August Olympic Tri

The last Olympic Tri is only 2 weeks after IM Switzerland. But is is the Swiss Championship that I don't want to miss. All the Olympic Tris are part of the Swiss Triathlon Cup. This is a race series of 7 tris where the 4 best results counts for overall ranking.
Later in August and September there will be one more olympic and one MD tri.
I hope this are not too much races. But I enjoy racing and look at the sprint tris as kind of speed training.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are doing shorter races then racing every other week won't be a problem. In fact, I've found in the past that if you take the early season races as quality training days then the later part of the season you will race really fast. I wouldn't recommend doing too many close together though, if you're doing anything long course. When I ran my first marathon I took part in a study that tested muscle strength before and after the race. It took 13 days before I could exert the same strength after the race so every other week will be pushing it if you race long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to race back-to-back weekends (sometimes days) all the time. One year I did either 24 or 26 triathlons (can't remember). I loved that and I was in awesome shape. Then I started my own business. Now I'm lucky if I can race two times a month so I try to ey on a couple good race. really enjoy racing frequently and would eventually like to re-orient my schedule to allow for more of that. Trouble is, as triathlon keeps growing it becomes tougher and tougher. I don't think racing frequently is detrimental if you take good care of yurself, eat well and allow for recovery.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply