Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How big is "Big in the USA"?
Quote | Reply
As I have told a few times before, we started a triathlon club in Norway with three members in june 2003. Now we have 31 members and that makes us a rather big norwegian triathlon club. Our goal is 50 by the end of 2004, could be hard to manage, but we'll try.

I have visited some very nice triathlon club web sites and get the impression that some clubs are big, but for me that would mean 150 members. That's probably a mid-size american triathlon club? What is a big triathlon club in USA and what club is the largest when it comes to number of members?

Bent Olav Olsen, recreational triathlete?
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big in the USA"? [tribent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cant really answer your question but I would like to order a jersey from you but cant read your language. Can you send some info on ordering a jersey?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As I have told a few times before, we started a triathlon club in Norway with three members in june 2003. Now we have 31 members and that makes us a rather big norwegian triathlon club. Our goal is 50 by the end of 2004, could be hard to manage, but we'll try.

I have visited some very nice triathlon club web sites and get the impression that some clubs are big, but for me that would mean 150 members. That's probably a mid-size american triathlon club? What is a big triathlon club in USA and what club is the largest when it comes to number of members?

Hi,
the biggest triathlon club in Germany has more than 500 active members. That's of course in Roth and I'm of course a member of it.
http://www.rothsee-triathlon.de/

regards,
Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: Jan 1, 04 7:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our club started out as part of the cycling club and is still part of it.But this fall we had our first stand alone meeting.Best I figure we about 20 members.It's always changing.Heres a picture taken at last summers "Wet Dog" Tri.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One club I'm in has about 350 members, another has under 100. Here (San Francisco Bay Area), some people belong to more than one club.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big in the USA"? [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! 500, 350, and with the possibility of training with the club almost every day? As said earlier I envy those of you living in developed countries very much, but if we could strenghten the clubs and make some internationaly interesting competitions we could have our "Roth" in a 20-30 years time :-)

Dave, great picture of a sharp looking bunch.

Elund: You might buy one, but the problem is it will probably be rather expensive because it will first be imported to Norway (with customs and V.A.T) and then sent to you. But we'll figure it out if you really want one. The jersies should be ready in february.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Mad Dogs out of St. Petersburg, Florida have over 1800 now, I believe...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is big necessarily better?

We have a nice little informal multi-sport group of about twenty-five or so AG'ers. Some are more into just running or just cycling, but it's a fun group for after triathlon lunches, info sharing, the odd social event, etc. We have organized training swims, runs and group rides. If you want to win Kona we're probably not the people to hang out with but it's a good sociable crowd since we're all AG'ers into this for fun and fitness. I really don't think we need to get that much bigger.
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big in the USA"? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I don't think big is better. It all depends, you could say that "the right size is the best", but that does not mean that much.

For our club I would think that 50-75 would be the right size, it has for instance to do with the possibillity to share the "burdens", have some more money and the possibility to get clothing at lower prizes. The dominating cycle clubs in Norway is aprox 300-500 members I think, but the one that is just right for AG'ers is 100 members.

But I would think that a big triathlon club or two in Norway would have helped to "spreading the gospel of triathlon to the heathens".

But I guess there are some members of Big Clubs here? Are they any good?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tribent,

Just curious, how "big" is triathlon in general in Norway, and for Scandinavia in general? I know my favorite winter sport, X-country skiing is huge in your country. We have a number of regular Danish posters here and I believe one or two Swedes. Are there many triathlon events that you can participate in during the season? How about within reasonable driving distance to Sweden?
Quote Reply
Re: How big is "Big in the USA"? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very small for the time being. At the National championship (olympic distance) something like 50-70 people will show up. I don't know how many registered triathletes there is, but I would guess 100-150? Active triathletes? 20-30? Pros? None

There are between two and five triathlons a year, but they are smal and dull and only one of them (with oly and shorter distances in Oslo) has been "every year" and has maybe 100-150 participants.

Many of the races in Sweden and Denmark are within reasonable driving distance, and that's one of our clubs goal: Every year at least go to one swedish or danish triathlon (preferably one with both long distance and olympick distance/shorter).

Last edited by: tribent: Jan 1, 04 11:13
Quote Reply