Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How are the fires and smoke impacting your workouts/life? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello TJ56 and All,

Some air quality data here ... type in your city name or zip code .. updated hourly

airnow.gov

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: How are the fires and smoke impacting your workouts/life? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
San Diego North County, last ride two days ago, I cut it short because eyes were watering like crazy and just looking through the haze told me it wasn't a great thing to be puffing up hills sucking air as hard as I could. Ironically, the only reason I noticed this thread is that I just bailed on today's ride because of the air quality, hence took the time to look on the forum. I have no setup to work out indoors, starting to think I need to come up with something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pretty much sit under the plume for Cameron Peak fire in Colorado. Last weekend it was so bad that it looked like dusk on a cloudy day, all day. Then we had lots of snow on Monday evening and Tuesday. You would think that a foot of snow would fix the problem, but you would be thinking wrong. Hazy and Smokey again starting yesterday. I can’t wait until 2020 is in the rear view mirror.
Quote Reply
Re: How are the fires and smoke impacting your workouts/life? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also in CO.. Labor day afternoon we swam outdoors, last day of outdoor for the pool season, probably wasn't a good idea under the apocalyptic skies. Backed off effort but still had a tight chest. The snows helped but yesterday again smoke was back, think it's both Cameron and the CA/OR fires at this point. Ran outside easy.. didn't notice it much. At my age I figure by the time the bad air kills me, I'll probably be dead anyway. Maybe will take up smoking..
Quote Reply
Re: How are the fires and smoke impacting your workouts/life? [Mike D1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike D1 wrote:
San Diego North County

I used to live in Encinitas - North County is a great area.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: How are the fires and smoke impacting your workouts/life? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s the “Nov Oly in Napa?” The now officially cancelled HITS?
Quote Reply
Re: How are the fires and smoke impacting your workouts/life? [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup cancelled last.week after the wildfires.
Quote Reply
Re: How are the fires and smoke impacting your workouts/life? [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
My thoughts go out to everyone effected by the west coast fires!

I'm in Vermont and it's very hazy this morning. NPR/VPR just confirmed the haze is from the west coast fires, over 3,000 miles away. Crazy!

Interesting that you received smoke/haze there, I'm closer to the fires in WI and we haven't seen/felt anything. Perhaps you're in a valley where it settles?

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

https://brave.com/ - A safer and faster way to browse the web
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3757906
Quote Reply
Re: How are the fires and smoke impacting your workouts/life? [adaykin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adaykin wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:

I'm in Vermont and it's very hazy this morning. NPR/VPR just confirmed the haze is from the west coast fires, over 3,000 miles away. Crazy!

Interesting that you received smoke/haze there, I'm closer to the fires in WI and we haven't seen/felt anything. Perhaps you're in a valley where it settles?

Are you questioning my post? I'm not an expert in this. But we did have hazy skies for a few days last week. And the news stations stated it was from the fires out west. We have mountains and there are valleys. If you are that interested, contact Vermont Public Radio. I'm sure someone could elaborate for you. We are also in a drought and haven't had much rain. Maybe that is a factor. I really have no idea why we in Vermont have had haze from smoke and you and WI didn't. But google it if you are that curious.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: How are the fires and smoke impacting your workouts/life? [adaykin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here you go:

There's a place at the bottom where you can ask questions:

https://www.vpr.org/...ncing-climate-change

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: How are the fires and smoke impacting your workouts/life? [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
adaykin wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:

Are you questioning my post? I'm not an expert in this. But we did have hazy skies for a few days last week. And the news stations stated it was from the fires out west. We have mountains and there are valleys. If you are that interested, contact Vermont Public Radio. I'm sure someone could elaborate for you. We are also in a drought and haven't had much rain. Maybe that is a factor. I really have no idea why we in Vermont have had haze from smoke and you and WI didn't. But google it if you are that curious.

Was curious about the reason why it's there but not other places....

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

https://brave.com/ - A safer and faster way to browse the web
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3757906
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adaykin wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:
adaykin wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:

Was curious about the reason why it's there but not other places....

Jet Stream? I don't know but Cliff Mass is an atmospheric scientist at UW and has a blog that covered a lot of the smoke and discusses the smoke on the east coast with images.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've had smoke from the Dolan Fire. This last week wasn't bad, but the previous two weeks were raining ash and the light sensing lamps were on at high noon. It was dark outside in an orange and yellow sort of way. Seems like a bad idea to run outside when it is raining ash.

I finally washed my car last night to get the ash off it. I've washed it a few times only to have it covered in ash again.

This last few days, though, we've had a marine layer so the smoke is either getting pulled down out of the sky or it blowing elsewhere. In better news, the Dolan Fire seems to be lessening. Yay!

In my entire life in CA, having been evacuated from fires before, this was hands down the worst year in terms of prolonged horrible air quality from smoke.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How are the fires and smoke impacting your workouts/life? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to read this and glad you and your family are ok!
https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._and_Mercy_7770.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next