Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How about workouts for biking faster?
Quote | Reply
I've seen great suggestions on what people do to run faster. What are people doing to increase their bike splits?

One of my favorite workouts for example is to go as hard as I can (e.g. time trial pace or better) for about 1 mile, then recover for 2 miles. I'll repeat this anywhere from 5 to 10 times depending on how much time I have.

Of course, my best solution was to move from the snow-covered streets of Washington, DC to the sunny confines of San Diego so I can log more year-round miles.....
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [zuikis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
        The best way to get faster is to do group rides with people who are faster than you. It's also a lot more fun than riding alone and you'll increase your miliage. If your rides are between 15 and 30 miles, you're not putting in enough miles to build the strength neccesary to get fast. Look for a local tri or bicycle club and start riding with a group as soon as the weather gets better.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pedal harder, faster and more efficiently.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forget the attribution, but it supposedly came from some grizzled Italian champion, who when asked by a rookie how to ride faster he replied, "Apply more pressure to the pedals".

vo2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learn to love your windtrainer. Especially in the summer months when intensity is high and everyone else is out puttering around in the sunshine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever you do, don't listen to Zinc. Loving your wind trainer in the summer when the weather's nice is just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It may reduce the occurance of stop lights and traffic, but find a nice road (there's always a nice road somewhere relatively close) and these factors become minimal.
Ask yourself this question: Why do we ride? Solely to get faster, or to enjoy life and our sport at the same time as making gains? It would be a huge mistake for all of us to ride indoors all summer and get super fast, while wasting beautiful weather for the sake of negligible relative gains. All trainer workouts can be done on the road, but not all aspects of road riding translate to the trainer. Riding is beautiful, rotating a trainer while staring at Tour reruns for the hundredth time while the sun is shining is absolutely not.
Live to ride (and run and swim)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride Lots

-Eddy Merckx
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [Smitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smitty,

the question was not how can I enjoy cycling more - it was how do I ride faster!

Sure in the summer its great to go out and cycle, you need to do this atleast twice to maintain a good base anyway - but when it comes to speed, nothing beats a turbo.

You want to ride in the sun? move your turbo outside and use a walkman.

my coach, who has coached some of the athletes who were at Sydney and will be at Athens, beleives Turboing is the answer to cycling in triathlon, its the only way a true training session can be run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've seen great suggestions on what people do to run faster. What are people doing to increase their bike splits?
The "best" cycling work outs are more or less the same as for running - sustained long efforts close to race pace and hill reps or sustained long climbs. Do these regularly without overdoing it and appropriate recovery and you will get faster!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]What are people doing to increase their bike splits?

Shouldn't people be looking to reduce their bike splits?

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I guess I did not read the original post to carefully.

To "increase" your bike splits - keep doing more and more LSD training. Keep the Heart rate down in that zone. Never go out side of that zone. Never ride fast. Keep doing more and more longer and longer rides. Avoid all hills.

Hope this helps!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd also consider eating more cakes, drinking more beer and spending as much time as possible on your couch.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [swift_sam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam,
I guess I approached the question a little to philosophically...I'll try to express my viewpoint a little more explicitly related to performance.

With all due respect to your coach, I just don't agree. Riding a trainer is not the same as riding a bike (granted, it's very close), but until we race on trainers, it's not the best training value for time invested. I think what you're referring to is doing sustained TT type efforts on the trainer. How many courses do you do that are flat, with no bumps, turns, wind, or other factors (...competitors) to worry about, and during which, someone holds your bike up for you? A trainer doesn't properly teach you out of the saddle technique should you need it to sprint out of corners, or crest hills. You can get TT type workouts on a road course if you pick the right place to do it. Get a friend who's faster than you and chase him all over the countryside for an afternoon. Beats the hell out of any trainer workout. OK, specifically, try this: On a road course with varied terrain, do 15 minutes at TT race pace with a 5 minute spin in between x5, 15 min warm up, 15 min cool down. Doing it with a partner of similar abilities is an asset, but not necessary.

As for the comment on moving your trainer outside and use a walkman, there's just so many things wrong with that (philosophically speaking, but we won't go into that).
Happy riding
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I have to respond...

Smitty, you are making some assumptions that are don't hold true for everyone. First off, is choice of roads... I live on Long Island. I haven't found a stretch of road I could ride for 15 minutes without hitting a stoplight. The long stretch of road I do have with few lights is completely flat with no corners (still not 15 mins at a stretch though). I'm new to Long Island and I don't know any other triathletes, so I won't be chasing anybody anytime soon. Aside from the fact, I'm not really interested in trying coordinates schedules with someone else. Lastly, I live in a place that can honestly be described as automobile anarchy. Every law you ever thought existed to make driving safe is not optional, it is completely ignored and there is no penalty or attempt to change this behavior. I'm talking speed limits, turn signals, stop signs, stop lights, double yellow lines, no shoulder driving, etc... All ignored.

You are correct, there are certain things that a trainer can't do for you. However, things like out of saddle climbing, bumps, wind, and cornering are not my weaknesses. Leg strength, aerobic endurance, and saddle time are my weaknesses and for that a trainer is marvelous rain or shine, cold or hot, day or night... The only thing I feel like I'm missing by riding the trainer is the wind in my face and the sun on my shoulders.

In short, riding outside may be more beneficial than a trainer for some, but for me personally, I don't see that being the case. During the summer I'll usually get one long ride outside per week, the rest is on a trainer.

Lest we forget this is a 3-event sport, I still get plenty of time outside on all of my runs, and some open water swimming during the summer. I'm far from suffering...

As backup I'll mention a 53' 40K TT guy that I know who does most of his rides on a Computrainer, because in his words, "it just so damn efficient". Works for him...

With all due respect, I believe a trainer IS the best training value for the time invested (for many people).

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [Justin on LI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justin,
You make some very good points, not everyone is blessed with ideal riding conditions, and sometimes live in downright unrideable territory. It's really too bad that the riding environment is that bad in RI. My problem is with the assertion that, given the choice, the trainer is better than riding outside. It's the choice of being on the trainer when there's roads available to ride (which is not true in your case) that I have a big problem with. Necessity is a completely different story. If you're ever in Toronto, let me know and we can chase each other around (with a group of my riding buddies).
I also know a guy who live in the best riding country around here and does all his rides on the Computrainer. And he seemed like such a normal guy until I heard that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I absolutely agree 100% with Sweeney. Join a roadie group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm one of those relatively new endurance athletes. I'm an old power athlete, SO, while I can hang with some insanely fast roadies (because I recover so quickly after a hard effort), I don't go as fast as them on TT's, UNLESS there are decent hills. I can power up the hill, then recover going down the other side. I just don't lose time on the hilly TT's compared to them. It's the long flats that show my weakness...so, for me, a trainer is a great tool.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote is for Dr. Coggan's 40km TT workout (performed indoors or outdoors):

2x20min intervals at 90-100% of 40km TT power output, once a week. Recover sufficiently in between intervals to complete 2nd interval at same or higher power output. For triathletes, add an easy run in between (5-10minutes...keep this the same through season), and add another run after 2nd interval (starting at 5minutes going 10km goal pace, increasing duration through season). This way you work on 40km TT specific power output, work on your transition, and work on running off the bike incrementally. As most exercise physiologists will tell you: specificity, specificity, specificity.

Forget HR, use PE instead. Of course, this presumes you have access to a powermeter. In which case you can still use PE, but may take some time to learn how to "pace". In indoors, make sure you have a nice fan or two running.

For specific pedaling technique...I'll paraphrase Dr. Coyle (another cycling researcher)..."just stomp harder".

Just my $.02.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Whatever you do, don't listen to Zinc. Loving your wind trainer in the summer when the weather's nice is just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It may reduce the occurance of stop lights and traffic, but find a nice road (there's always a nice road somewhere relatively close) and these factors become minimal.

The windtrainer is the best place to do intervals, not only is it safer, but it's also the place to really learn how to suffer. For all the wild training programs there are out there, there is only one thing that will determine how much you take away from it, and that's the ability to push your body hard.

If you want to ride for pleaure then that's your choice, ride slow. I'll ride slow when I'm too old to walk, till then I'm going to ride fast. If you can learn to handle an 8x8 minute interval workout with 1 minute rest when it's 75 and sunny outside then you'll really start to explore the depths of the pain cave. I'm not even talking about the ability to control your workout to the exact correct intensity...

This may sound sadistic and crazy, but too many people give up too early.

BTW, I've gone from a pure runner in summer of 2000 to trying to break 54 for a 40k for this summer.
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [Zinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please explain your 8x8. Do you pyramid your intesity?
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [mpanoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to be coached by Steve Trew, a British coach... one of his staple workouts was the longer interval sessions. They would start with 6x6 minutes hard with one minute rest in between and a 15 minute warmup and cooldown on each side of the workout. Over the course of the preseason they progressed to 7x6 minutes, then 7x7 minutes, etc... I was doing 8x8 minutes hard when I started to get really strong. It was once a week or so. I came down with glandular fever in March and didn't realize what was wrong with me till May, so I didn't get to see how the progression would have continuted. Towards the first Olympic distance races of the season I was doing 1 hour time trial simulations (at a slightly lower than TT effort) to prepare for staying locked in the aero position at high intensity for 40k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a variation of the 6x6 mentioned by Zinc, my coach has me currently doing 5x105% of CP30avg/55-60rpm until HR =CP30avg+3bpm(172 for me) or 6min, whichever comes first. I'm doing it on a computrainer. That is a really tough workout, especially trying to maintain decent spinscan #s AND maintain watts at 105%xCP30avg +/- 3 watts. I've increased my workout wattage 30 watts in four weeks of workouts and todays sets ended up at 6:00, 6:00, 6:00, 5:48, and 4:30.

Next we'll move to shorter/harder intervals of 30sec beginning at CP6/30sec off for 4 weeks and then back to the 6min intervals, but at normal cadence. I'm not sure whether we'll add intervals or time or both to each interval as I progress at that point.

Whatever...its quality work like this, added to group and long rides that will make the difference in your cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm unfamiliar with your terms. What's cp30avg and cp6 mean?

I hope this won't become excruciatingly obvious to me after posting.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously Zinc, we just don't agree. Saying that you can't know how to push your body hard, or know what it is to really suffer...you can't suffer in a road workout?? Hm, I guess that's why pro cyclists from North America spend all the off seasons NOT in Europe training the courses they're going to race, but staying at home on their turbo trainers in the garage. It's actually mentally tougher to maintain focus in a road TT than it is on the trainer because you have to focus on your workout while responding to factors beyond your control that will also affect you on race day.

Riding on the road does not mean you've resigned yourself to being slow, making that assertion in your post is just plain arrogant. "Your way is the only way" is not a very intelligent way to look at things. As for that little posturing comment at the end, congrats. I went from being a non swimmer, non biker, recreational runner to being in the top half of my age group at worlds in two years. With what you said, I can't believe I did it without even owning a trainer. (it's rollers all winter for me) Thanks for the workout tip (the 8x8 minute/1min rest), sounds great, I'll give it a go while the snow's still on the ground.

Enjoy the view from your "pain cave", I'm going to do my TT's in the sun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next