Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How Steep???
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on how much steeper than the actual frame angle you would set up a bike.I'm only interested in how the bike handles.
Quote Reply
Re: How Steep??? [Cullen Watkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. The original Quintana Roo Superform was an 80 degree seat tube angle bike. The bike was "dumbed down" to 78 degrees but many riders still sit at 80+ degrees. I measure seat tube angle on the frame and "relative" seat tube angle by dividing the saddle's length in half and measuring the angle that protrudes downward from the centerpoint of the
saddle to the center of the bottom bracket. When you do it this way you get some surprising results, ususally steeper than you imagined. How steep is too steep for good handling? That question depends more on the geometry of the front end of the bike. If the bike was made or intended to be ridden at 78 degrees plus, you would hope the darn thing has a front end designed to take you up to at least 81 degrees relative. If it was designed to be ridden at 74 degrees I suggest running it at 81 degrees may create some handling conditions other than what the manufacturer may have intended.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: How Steep??? [Cullen Watkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on your bike and your body build.

I don't have a lot of weight up high, and my bike has a fork angle (73) slightly slacker than the seat tube (73.5). I can get away with somewhere between 78 - 81 with a fwd post and no big handling problems. It only starts to get twitchy if I'm right at the nose or off the saddle completely.

I ride steadier than some guys at 75 deg and less... =) Not you Khai... you're @ 80-ish anyway.

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply