Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions??
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine how he's feeling after watching all these records fall yesterday in such great conditions
Quote Reply
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [StokeTheFire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure but I saw a very relaxed and fun engaging athlete in the few mins on the broadcast yesturday with Jan...he threw some shade at Lange for sure....Sometimes your actually happy to have a "break".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [StokeTheFire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
times don't matter. Does a golfer care about his score when he wins a major?

StokeTheFire wrote:
I can't imagine how he's feeling after watching all these records fall yesterday in such great conditions

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

StokeTheFire wrote:

He does if the final round is a sub-60.
Quote Reply
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

StokeTheFire wrote:

exactly. records are nice, but winning is what matters.
Quote Reply
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Sure but I saw a very relaxed and fun engaging athlete in the few mins on the broadcast yesturday with Jan...he threw some shade at Lange for sure....Sometimes your actually happy to have a "break".

I've seen this mentioned a few times. Was lucky enough to spectate this live, so I didn't watch the broadcast...care to give me a synopsis of the shade? thanks!

“The answer is hard work. What are you doing on Christmas Eve? Are you riding your bike? January 1st – are you riding your bike?”- Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

StokeTheFire wrote:

I think that this is generally true. But it's another thing to be the first person all time to ever break 8 hours in Kona, since there are 40 years of champions and only one person can EVER be first sub 8 at Kona. For all we know, no goes sub 8 again for a very very long time. The conditions they had were once in 40 years so far (actually last year was almost twice in 40 years). If this is a trend in Kona due to ocean temps changing and thus winds being less strong is something we will need to wait out and see, but Jan could have been the first all time to break 8 hours. Instead it was Lange who will be first ever to close sub 8 in Kona. Jan can never have that title.
Quote Reply
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I expect it every year now now that everyone has disc brakes.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point !

The two first bike under 8 at Kona are not disk brakes. Plain old aero rim brakes :-)

OK, new Kona bike record is a disk brake bike :-)

Anyway, hour record bike have no brakes :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jan Frodeno 2x WC Ironman (in a row)
Patrick Lange 2x WC Ironamn (in a row) + IM Hawaii Marathon record + IM course record x2 + first man ever sub8h in IM Hawaii

If I were Jan, I would be nervous, after 2 fails in a row in IM WC... at least nervous because the lost of Sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

Sometimes...but when that break potentially costs you a significant amount of prize money I’m sure that tune changes.
Quote Reply
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Good point !

The two first bike under 8 at Kona are not disk brakes. Plain old aero rim brakes :-)

OK, new Kona bike record is a disk brake bike :-)

Anyway, hour record bike have no brakes :-)

The irony of his new Kona bike record with disc brakes is that he’s NOT using them very much.
Quote Reply
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well he did just win 70.3 worlds, something he didnt do in 2017 when he showed up and DNF'd last year (or walked it in, cant remember which it was).

eta: I mean of course a pro athlete is "mad" they dont get to race a world championship. That's sorta a given, as pro's have a very short shelf life. But if you look at his 2018 results and putting it all into prospective, it's not that *bad* of a year. But yes all pro athletes are mad when they miss out. Jan will get what 6 or 8 Kona's in his pro lifetime.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 15, 18 7:01
Quote Reply
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree Dev-I’m sure he would have loved to have that notch on his belt. And given the obvious animosity toward Lange, it’s probably even driving him more nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I agree Dev-I’m sure he would have loved to have that notch on his belt. And given the obvious animosity toward Lange, it’s probably even driving him more nuts.

Jan pretty well says he hates the way Lange races and on top of that Lange put the record way sub 8 almost taking it to a Bob Beamon Mexico City Long Jump status. Unless another low wind day happens like this it could very easily 10 years before anyone gets close to a low 7:5x range again. Lange's name is going to be on the course record for a very very very long time. Especially if Jimmy gets his act together and puts down a 20m draft zone. Then it could be 20 years before anyone gets close to 7:52 again.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was a bit surprised about the transparent disdain he had for Lange.
Quote Reply
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [ivantriker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ivantriker wrote:
Patrick Lange 2x WC Ironamn (in a row) + IM Hawaii Marathon record + IM course record x2 + first man ever sub8h in IM Hawaii

If I were Jan, I would be nervous, after 2 fails in a row in IM WC... at least nervous because the lost of Sponsors

You missed out Jan's Olympic Gold medal!
Quote Reply
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [ivantriker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Olympic gold medal, fastest time over 140.6, multi-time world champ, and significantly more personable than lange. I don't think I'd worry too much if I were him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ivantriker wrote:

I missed it

What sponsors did he lose?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 16, 18 14:07
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't take into account gold medal, although it is one of his most valued triumph, because it is more ITU related than Ironman related.

I mean that if I were canyon I would take into consideration both racers, but Lange has won last 2 Ironman Kona, Frodo suffered injuries in both, next year ... Who is the best athlete to invest?
Quote Reply
Re: How Mad is Jan that he Missed These Kona Conditions?? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sure mate? I think having an Olympic gold medallist sporting your company logo is worth just as much if not more than ex Ironman winner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ivantriker wrote:
I didn't take into account gold medal, although it is one of his most valued triumph, because it is more ITU related than Ironman related.

I mean that if I were canyon I would take into consideration both racers, but Lange has won last 2 Ironman Kona, Frodo suffered injuries in both, next year ... Who is the best athlete to invest?

Given Frodo's recent injury record, Lange I'd say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ivantriker wrote:

Jan, willing to bet he will sell more. Talbot couldn’t even interview Lange without paying. Joke.

Jan, seb, Lionel, etc, building their brand solidly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next