Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How’s to manage junk in compression shorts/trisuit?
Quote | Reply
So guys,

I’ve never been one to wear compression shorts or a trisuit, but I’ve been told that they’re a necessity when competing in a triathalon. So here I am, trying to adjust. (No pun intended)

Are these things comfortable to any man while running? To tell the truth, they’re comfortable in every aspect other than the crotch are. For the swim and bike it doesn’t bother me, but when I get to the running, it’s very uncomfortable, the first thing is that my unit seems to shift and start going down one of the legs, and the other issue is that my balls are getting crushed and it doesn’t feel good at all. It’s like running with blue balls or running with the after-pain that comes when youre family jewels get hit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’m just trying to be comfortable is all. My compression shorts are the 2XU shorts, and I have 2 zoot tri suits. I went off the sizing that’s on their charts.

Thanks ahead of time.
Last edited by: Landonl3: Mar 21, 18 14:28
Quote Reply
Re: How’s to manage junk in compression shorts/trisuit? [Landonl3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What brand are you using? Have you tried a few?

I've owned DeSoto, and a few other brands. Haven't had the problems you describe. Certainly no pain. That's just wrong.

Tri Suits are comfortable enough but not as comfortable as shorts and a singlet. 70.3 is my limit for wearing a tri suit. Beyond that I'm taking the time to change clothes
Quote Reply
Re: How’s to manage junk in compression shorts/trisuit? [Landonl3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skip to 1:15

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you find them uncomfortable, you can totally race on normal shorts and a shirt. The bike leg will suck though because of the chaffing if you were to do that. And it’d probably stay soaked all day from the swim.

I would try a variety of options to find what works. To control movement, be deliberate on how you place your junk in the suit/tri bottom and buy a size that is tight enough to hold everything in place. If you are moving freely, they are not tight enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I reach into my shorts and pull my junk up, situate on the saddle then release. In a trisuit you can do the same thing from the outside it's just a little more difficult.

Just made a thread for help with tip chaffing on the run in a new trisuit but no responses yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just thought of a new product. A jockstrap for triathletes to support your junk you can build it into the tri suit. Doesn't it shrink up on the swim anyway?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced duathlon with a skinsuit last year that had a tri pad instead of a bike pad to get the benefit of showing local bike team sponsors and getting some financial support. I had the exact same problem you did. I just wore a swim brief under and it kept my beans from getting crushed. This was only for two-hour racing though. Not sure how comfortable it would be for a half or full though.
Quote Reply
Re: How’s to manage junk in compression shorts/trisuit? [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, yeah Im going through that right now, I just put some Neosporin, and its helping a little, but as to how to prevent it, you've got me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear tight-fitting briefs made from lycra-type material under my tri suit or tri shorts, regardless of the difference. Perfectly comfortable right up to IM-distance. Certainly more comfortable than bouncing around or dropping down a leg.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Re: How’s to manage junk in compression shorts/trisuit? [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BungleJapan wrote:
I wear tight-fitting briefs made from lycra-type material under my tri suit or tri shorts, regardless of the difference. Perfectly comfortable right up to IM-distance. Certainly more comfortable than bouncing around or dropping down a leg.
So your tri suit is too big then?
The tri suit is meant to be tight fitting and next to the skin. If you have to put something under it to get a tighter fit, it's either a poorly designed tri suit, you're wearing too big a size, or the shape of the suit just doesn't suit your body shape - IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: How’s to manage junk in compression shorts/trisuit? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, they're all a good fit. If I wear compression tights under my jeans during the day time, I still wear boxers! No difference as far as I can see. I'm talking seriously thin briefs just for some support, not granny's old bloomers!

-----
Quote Reply
Re: How’s to manage junk in compression shorts/trisuit? [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BungleJapan wrote:
No, they're all a good fit. If I wear compression tights under my jeans during the day time, I still wear boxers! No difference as far as I can see. I'm talking seriously thin briefs just for some support, not granny's old bloomers!
My point is that any support you might gain from the shorts you should surely already be getting from the tri suit. Layering for triathlon seems to completely undermine the intent of a tri suit in the first place. Layering completely undermines the low bulk, quick drying intent of a tri-suit. Do you also wear underwear with cycling shorts?
Quote Reply
Re: How’s to manage junk in compression shorts/trisuit? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily! The leg opening of briefs is elasticated and that prevents the old meat and two veg from moving too far from where I want them to be. No, I don't wear them for only cycling, but where running is involved I always wear them. They're not cotton or anything, and they're dry almost as soon as the tri suit is.

It's simply the triathlon equivalent of boxers vs briefs!!

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BungleJapan wrote:
Not necessarily! The leg opening of briefs is elasticated and that prevents the old meat and two veg from moving too far from where I want them to be. No, I don't wear them for only cycling, but where running is involved I always wear them. They're not cotton or anything, and they're dry almost as soon as the tri suit is.

It's simply the triathlon equivalent of boxers vs briefs!!
But it's not. It's briefs versus commando

Compression tri shorts/suit would surely eliminate any issue to start with?
Regardless, as long as you're happy carry on! I simply think it's a step in the wrong direction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My friend would put a bandaid on before every run after a particularly bad experience. I dont trust a bandaid to stay in place over an IM, not even counting peeing. I'm particularly concerned because I had no issues during multiple training days in my suit and it popped up in an olympic race.screwed if it was a half or full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have certain pairs of cycling bibshorts where I have the problem of overly compressed twig and berries... and it's because they don't fit. Trisuits/two piece tri kit should be supportive but not ball crushing...

It's not uncommon especially with one piece trisuits from certain brands for the sizes to not quite work for you. I loved sugoi's stuff, but back in the day (2005/2006), I found their one pieces either fit me in the top or the bottom, but not both. a proper fitting top meant ball crushing bottom, or a well fitting bottom meant a top that was too loose. The solution, I switched to their two piece (the team I raced for at the time used their kit) and ordered a different size top and bottom, and they fit great...

Even if the tri kit has added compression, the manufacturers know better than to add compression over the bits, it'll be in the thigh area. I have worn this style of tri suit, and if I get the fit right, there's no risk of turning the berries into jam...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had same issue. I have a 32" waist so I purchased medium tri shorts, per sizing charts, but my package was in complete discomfort on the bike and run. I went up a size and don't have the issue. I use De Soto tri shorts.

Perhaps for your tri suits, you have a long torso and shorter legs which causes the suit to give you a front wedgie, as your upper and lower body are disproportionate to most folks your height.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I just tape my unit to my chest, problem solved
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are not used to compression clothing some you may want to know.
Tighter is better (until it is not)
A proper trisuit or shorts should give you support and hold everything in 1 place.
So based upon your statements
You either have the wrong size or the wrong suit for you.
The only times I have the issues you stated are
When a well fitting tri outfit needs to be replaced from a few seasons of wear or when it does not fit right.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an issue which actually steered me to the last several equipment choices. Few make a "double layer" front for that extra support. As far as I know, they are: DeSoto, Oomph! EPIX "Go Fierce" model, I think John Cobb had a pair that had basically a jock strap built in & then *maybe* Wattie Ink? The rest are single layer and you get the junk-flop effect which is a PITA. I ended up with the EPIX "Go Fierce" as my latest kit for a) their design/colors/customization vs. cost, as well as the "junk control" being better than most of the others I've mentioned. While I like the DeSoto tri shorts, they just lost support when really wet unlike the EPIX Gear. The Oomph! brand didn't have the ease of movement with the body & used older style leg grippers (instead of the more modern EPIX gear). But either way, these are only band-aids and I haven't found anything that is *perfect*--but I will say I can't comment on Wattie Ink other than no way I'm paying that much for their suits. They are overpriced--unless I found a good discount, Wattie Ink isn't even on the consideration list.
Quote Reply