Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Houston area riding suggestions
Quote | Reply
Flying into Houston on Friday and staying in Spring Texas the next few days. Looking to get in a 50+ mile ride on Saturday once I get my bike put back together. Amy suggestions on where to ride? I'd like to get away from the congestion as much as possible so willing to drive somewhere to get quiet enjoyable roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Houston area riding suggestions [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grab a bicycle and explore the city. Want to really see Houston? Grab a bike, because a pair of wheels is one of the best ways to experience H-Town these days. With its mild year-round temps, recently-expanded bike trails (more than 300 miles of interconnected bikeway network cover the metro) and the introduction of the Houston B-Cycle bike share program, locals and visitors are hitting the road now more than ever.
Even if you don’t have a bike, the Houston B-Cycle service makes getting around a breeze. With more than two-dozen stations located in Downtown, Montrose, Midtown, The Heights and the Museum District, riders can easily and inexpensively cruise around some of the city’s most-loved sites.The assistance of custom essay writing service helps students understand the basics of every custom written paper, as well as the elements of creative writing.
Quote Reply
Re: Houston area riding suggestions [Maryjohn0192] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maryjohn0192 wrote:
Grab a bicycle and explore the city. Want to really see Houston? Grab a bike, because a pair of wheels is one of the best ways to experience H-Town these days. With its mild year-round temps, recently-expanded bike trails (more than 300 miles of interconnected bikeway network cover the metro) and the introduction of the Houston B-Cycle bike share program, locals and visitors are hitting the road now more than ever.
Even if you don’t have a bike, the Houston B-Cycle service makes getting around a breeze. With more than two-dozen stations located in Downtown, Montrose, Midtown, The Heights and the Museum District, riders can easily and inexpensively cruise around some of the city’s most-loved sites.The assistance of custom essay writing service helps students understand the basics of every custom written paper, as well as the elements of creative writing.

I will one million percent disagree with all that.

Houston is one of the worst cycling cities imaginable as far as safety and bike friendliness (to include good bike routes and courteous drivers). It's also ugly as sin. I'm only here under protest. :-)

The OP is staying in Spring. He should start with routes around Magnolia, the old IMTX bike course, etc. IMTX is just around the corner so there will be tons of people out riding around that area.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Houston area riding suggestions [Maryjohn0192] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input but I'd prefer to be on my own bike and in a more rural setting since the goal isn't sightseeing but preparing for the race the following weekend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As GMAN said, go north, Montgomery area, or out west around Fulshear. Either way you're gonna have to drive from Spring. Def. wouldn't recommend the shared use paths....... unless you are training for a CX race, and you like to dodge things ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MS150 is coming up also. There are a couple of organized charity rides this weekend that are on the list of training rides for that event if you want something with aid stations, etc...

Saturday: http://www.familytiesfrs.org/events.html
Sunday: http://www.tourdebraz.org/

I'm doing the tourdebraz 100 miler on Sunday, but the Saturday ride is probably pretty close to where you're staying.

Quote Reply
Re: Houston area riding suggestions [Zachreligious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Probably won't do the rides but but at least gives me a good sense of where some good roads are.
Thanks for the help
Quote Reply
Re: Houston area riding suggestions [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All depends where you are in Houston or the Houston area. I am south of Houston, in the midst of over 100k people. Yet 2 minutes out of my neighborhood I have miles and miles of open road and pretty friendly drivers. It is more challenging within Houston city limits, but then again, you can start in the city and get out quickly.

For the OP, I can't vouch for the route personally, but there are weekend rides out of Bike Barn in Spring. Check https://bikebarn.com/...eekly-rides-pg66.htm for details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few routes you can take from The Woodlands, north into Montgomery county. But honestly, the forecast for Saturday doesn't look so great. I'll be on the trainer for 2.5 hours in lieu of heading out in the rain.

Did this loop a while back (there's a spot to park for hiking in the state forest on 149 a little before where the start/stop pin is on this map. Started the computer a few miles in). It's 51ish miles. Relatively quiet with on ly a small section on 105 which is busy, but has a huge shoulder. If you are interested, I can send the details or possibly even the file if your head unit supports turn by turn. Probably a 45 minute drive from Spring. Part of the old IMTX course.

Quote Reply
Re: Houston area riding suggestions [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s a great route. I love that area

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Houston area riding suggestions [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank You!! This is incredibly helpful, I really appre late the input.
Just landed in Houston, first things first let's hope my bike arrived safely and I can manage to put it back together without screwing anything up too badly
Quote Reply