Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hotels near good running - Morrison CO
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't know the area too well. Will be at Red Rocks events in the evenings. Google maps suggests lots of parks in the area.

The Ride of Truth - OWN your ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Hotels near good running - Morrison CO [Spinmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpinMeister

I know this area very well.

If you will be spending time near Red Rock and want to go running, there is a Lakewood Park - Bear Creek right across C-470. It has a great trail network. Also there is a paved trail that you can connect to that branches both South (next to C-470) and East (along Bear Creak). You can also run up the east side of the Hogback, if you want some hill work !

As far as Hotels, just east of C470/285, on Wadsworth there are a multitude of hotels: Holiday Inn, Comfort Suites, etc. I have people stay at the Holiday Inn and never have had negative comments, but there are other options.

If you need more information, PM me.

db
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's also a decent mixed use trail system that runs through Red Rocks park. I used to do it all the time after work - it's not terribly long, but it's got some good climbing. It does share with mountain bikers and plenty of dogs, just something to be aware of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am heading there next weekend. Last year, I did a couple good trails that I'll probably revisit. both right outside of Golden. North Table loop was about 7 miles. Also like the out and back up towards Lookout Mtn. Can start north on Chimney creek and then head onto Lookout Mtn or Beaver Brook. i prefer the later since no mountain bikes allowed. both of these routes have decent amount of elevation gain.

What shows you checking out, Avett?
Quote Reply
Re: Hotels near good running - Morrison CO [steve25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good info all, thanks!

This is in August, Yonder Mtn String Band one night Joe Bonamassa the next with a couple unplanned days on either end. GF has a conf in Denver and Red Rocks and Bonamassa are both on my musical bucket list. Flying out from the mid-atlantic.

Leaning toward a hotel near 285 & 121.

How should I fill my free time/days other than trail running?

The Ride of Truth - OWN your ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to my first show at Red Rocks next week—Chromeo on June 28th. I seriously cannot wait. Enjoy it!

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enjoy! I used to live in Denver and have seen 80+ Yonder shows from when they were in their hayday. My bf has seen close to 200. There's no better place to see a show than Red Rocks, imo...unless it rains. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen Bonamassa at Red Rocks a couple of years ago.... It will be epic for you.

There is a good pool in the area:
Carmody Recreation Center

Or a YMCA with a pool:
Southwest Family YMCA

There is Open Water Swimming at Bear Creek Park, and Paddle Board Rental there as well.

The Bike Path Network -South Platte Trail- in that area is basically endless, and access to a gravel path - South Platte Trail and Highline Canal Trail that goes for 70 miles is very close as well.

db

Edit to Add: Also out 285 there are several Jefferson Park open space parks that are great for hiking/trail running.
Last edited by: Dbeitel: Jun 22, 18 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool. enjoy. if it's hot you can float down the Golden River on inflatables. we did that last year. a bit crowded but was nice break to the hot day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Red Rocks is a glorious venue but since CO legalized weed, the air quality has really deteriorated.. there are smoking areas but only the cigarette smokers use them, potheads just light up wherever they feel like.. </gripe>

In August you really should get up to the high mountains somewhere, drive up Mt Evans or Pikes Peak or go into Rocky Mtn NP and hike up one or two.. RMNP is less than two hour's drive from Morrison..

Waterton Canyon is about 10 miles south of Morrison, the start of the Colorado Trail which goes to Durango. The lower dirt road section usually has bighorn sheep, they come over to lick the salt off your legs.. which is a little intimidating..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep an eye out for rattle snakes. Not meaning to scare you off, but they seem to be more prevalent this year.

Also, check the weather. We get afternoon thunderstorms that can put a damper on outdoor activities.

Other than that I hope you have a great time in the mile high area.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second on Bear Creek State Park, you can park outside and run in. I didn't see Green Mountain but it's a few minutes from Morrison, decent trails and can be a real lung burner depending how much you want to push it.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lair O the Bear is a nice trail run just up the road from Morrison

Green Mountain

Bear Creek

Waterton Canyon

Chatfield State Park for flatter cinder trail runs

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mathews Winters trails. North Table loop. Waterton Canyon to see the bighorn sheep. Deer Creek Canyon trails. Regardless, especially on North Table, keep an eye out for rattlesnakes!!!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply