Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hotel for Nats
Quote | Reply
Well, I reserved my hotel for Nats and one of the 3 pools I use is open with 45 min time limit.

I guess I'm training for Nats... Not sure what race or both.

For some reason I think it will happen...
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel for Nats [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder what the deadline is as far as making a decision to go or not. Interesting to know how many are signed up from last years qualifying races and of those signed up who would actually show up to race.

I signed up and will race it (if held), but I would hate for Nationals to be my first race of the year.

I will not look for housing until I hear it is a go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nats is going to be hard to do. I think they are going to wait and see how WTC does with their first few races. I was planning on peaking for Nats and Edmonton worlds as A-, A races. When Edmonton was cancelled I scrapped that plan and said F it might as well train to go long (first full) and hope that IM Lou happens. That being said I haven't signed up yet, I haven't gotten a hotel but will go if it happens. I would love to race in Milwaukee, but I just don't feel good about big metro cities holding races until one actually does.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel for Nats [kaaite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kaaite wrote:
I wonder what the deadline is as far as making a decision to go or not. Interesting to know how many are signed up from last years qualifying races and of those signed up who would actually show up to race.

I signed up and will race it (if held), but I would hate for Nationals to be my first race of the year.

I got a hotel walking dist to the start line outside the group rate that I can cancel at no charge 24 hours before the reservation. All the good spots through the race site were booked. It was about $60 more but I have better cancellation flexibility.
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel for Nats [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
Nats is going to be hard to do. I think they are going to wait and see how WTC does with their first few races. I was planning on peaking for Nats and Edmonton worlds as A-, A races. When Edmonton was cancelled I scrapped that plan and said F it might as well train to go long (first full) and hope that IM Lou happens. That being said I haven't signed up yet, I haven't gotten a hotel but will go if it happens. I would love to race in Milwaukee, but I just don't feel good about big metro cities holding races until one actually does.

I am similar to you was planning on peaking for Nats (or worlds - was 3 back on rolldown prior to sht hitting the fan in March) I did Milwaukee twice a few years ago and loved it. Driving distance for me.

I don't want to play Dr. but I don't think there is super spread risk at a tri as while people are close together its only for a short amount of time and is outside and not expecting too many people with flu like symptoms to be showing up. Hopefully we can race this year. I am getting so bummed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kaaite wrote:

About 1750 signed up for the Oly distance and 1650 for the sprint distance according to participation list as of today. I wonder how many registrants they need to make $ on the event? If they follow their recently published guidelines re social distancing at events, I don't see how they can have the same no. of participants as previous years.

I guessed several weeks ago that they would have announced a decision by yesterday. :)
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jun 16, 20 8:56
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel for Nats [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many more do you think will sign up if the say that it is on? I would.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
How many more do you think will sign up if the say that it is on? I would.
I think it's possible that many would sign up, possibly leading to a quick sellout if they need to limit the field size compared to previous years. I guess I should be doing my risk/reward calculations now.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jun 16, 20 9:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like they really want people there:

Update on Qualification Standards
Qualification standards have been adjusted and relaxed for the event amid COVID-19. Please note the updates below.
UPDATED: 2020 Qualification Period
May 28 update: The qualification period for 2020 Age Group Nationals has been adjusted to April 1, 2018 (previously was April 1, 2019). The qualification period will end on July 31, 2020. This means any USAT sanctioned triathlon during the qualification period of April 1, 2018 to July 31, 2020 qualifies for 2020. Registration will close eight days before the event occurs or when the event sells out (whichever comes first).
Qualification Path #1: General USAT Sanctioned Age Group Triathlons
The first way to qualify is through a normal USAT Sanctioned age group triathlon of any distance. These events include all non-championship events.
  • Olympic-Distance: To qualify, athletes must either place in the top three (3) or in the top 35% of finishers in their age group (was previously first plan / top 15%).
  • Sprint: To qualify, athletes must either place in the top five (5) or in the top 45% of finishers in their age group, whichever is greater (was previously top 3 / top 25%).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably worried that qualifiers will be reluctant to travel. Are you trying to qualify for World's in Australia? Or is this for a different World's location?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a FB message from USAT today - they will making an announcement in the next 5-7 days regarding nationals. Obviously that itself doesn't give anything away, but I can't see USAT announcing that the race will definitively be taking place this far out.
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel for Nats [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I emailed USAT today since I couldn't find my nationals registration link and was told that they aren't sending registration links now pending an update later this week.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jun 16, 20 12:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chances of cancelling vs switching dates/venues?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel for Nats [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably pretty unlikely, tough to switch venues this late and you cant really push past mid-september in WI.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least there is now a timeline for a decision.

When did they relax the standards? If it was real recent, you would think that they are planning with moving forward with the event and they want more people cause they think a lot wont attend so lets widen the potential candidate pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, a large observable number of Wisconsinites are operating as if there is no such thing as Covid 19.

Neighbor went camping there 2 weekends ago (Devils Lake State Park). He observed little to no distancing, virtually no masks by patrons eating inside a restaurant and little to no other mitigation behaviors. They kept their distance from such behaviors.

As you all may know their state supreme court overruled the state shut down and people went right back to normal life weeks ago. So maybe with that overall mentality, the state/county/city is fine with moving forward with the event.
Last edited by: curdog16: Jun 16, 20 14:13
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel for Nats [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my guess is they will cancel. Website below states that Special Events are cancelled until at least July 31st.

https://mkecoparks.helpscoutdocs.com/...coronavirus-response

And, even if they were allowed to hold it, I'm guessing that there would be a cap on number of participants. If so, and if the cap was under the current number of registrants, how would they equitably manage this? I would also imagine finding an adequate number of volunteers has been/is a struggle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I emailed USAT today since I couldn't find my nationals registration link and was told that they aren't sending registration links now pending an update later this week.

Oh geez... That doesn't sound good. Not sending the reg link pending announcement would mean no race IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USAT could pull the plug on the sprint & have people go to Tempe in November for DL Nationals.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Hotel for Nats [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe.., then spread the Olympic race over 2 days cutting the crowds in half... I like your thinking
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel for Nats [curdog16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see it happening, the City of Milwaukee is operating in a much more cautious manner than the remainder of the state (excluding Dane county). At the end of the day it comes down to them. Considering Milwaukee has cancelled all other events, Summerfest cancelled in September (along with any other festival being held on the Summerfest Grounds), the State Fair Cancelled (not in the City but still a big one to note), I don't see any way this is going to happen. The only major events that have not been cancelled are the DNC (postponed) and the Ryder Cup (not City of Milwaukee but relevant large event in the state of WI).
Quote Reply
Re: Hotel for Nats [johnald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can stop looking for Hotels.

2020 Nationals in Milwaukee Cancelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well.. I cancelled my hotel for Nats... And will not quit my day job to become a psychic.
Quote Reply