Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hot weather acllimitization for cold weather folks?
Quote | Reply
I saw an article on this somewhere recently but can't for the life of me remember where, but it was about how to get used to hot weather (specifically for an early or late season race) while living in a cold climate. Specifically, I live in NJ where it is anything but warm right now and racing in Spain in May (in the Mediterranean no less) and I expect it will be very hot. So, I need the tricks to get my body ready to sweat like a pig w/o actually being in the heat. Anyone have any good advice or remember seeing this article? Many thanks...

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hot weather acllimitization for cold weather folks? [MattMiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Matt, Check out the book "Performing in Extreme Environments" by Lawrence Armstrong. It is dry as a popcorn fart but an excellent resource for learning heat (and cold) acclimitization techniques.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hot weather acllimitization for cold weather folks? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Got it from Amazon...so, you know something about heat and environmental extremes...Marathon des Sables, Eco-Challenege and all that? ;-)

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hot weather acllimitization for cold weather folks? [MattMiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this is going to sound stupid but,even on the coldest day here in Florida i try to dress where the bottom two layers come off me wet,i do not want my body to "forget" how to sweat,it gets very hot and muggy in Fl and when i will be doing a race i will shave my arms and legs,you cant belive how much cooler i seems to be.P.S. i does get cold here(at least to me)
Quote Reply
cold weather and sweating [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know this is going to sound stupid but,even on the coldest day here in Florida i try to dress where the bottom two layers come off me wet,i do not want my body to "forget" how to sweat,it gets very hot and muggy in Fl and when i will be doing a race i will shave my arms and legs,you cant belive how much cooler i seems to be.P.S. i does get cold here(at least to me)
Quote Reply
for the sahara [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a guy here in atlanta who did the marathon des sables (marathon of the sands), a four-day run through the sahara desert (one day of which is a 50-miler in 100deg heat). He did 2-hour treadmill runs with the heat in the house turned up to 100 deg, and wore two sweat outfits. Seemed to work. He made it!

"My strategy is to start out slow and then peter-out altogether" Walt Stack
Quote Reply