Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hot Grease Chain
Quote | Reply
Has anyone in here tried to use a crockpot to heat grease and soak a chain? Not exactly tri related, but I'm currently into endurance mountain biking. I wax my road chains and it works great. Hot wax doesn't last on the mountain bike. I find the longest lasting chain lube is the original grease on a new chain. I don't care much about the watts. I want a chain that is still working decently 8 hours into a dirt ride. Suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Hot Grease Chain [ridindirtee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The original grease is slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you try it, go with bacon grease for that smokey aroma all ride long. Just watch out for bears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just off the top of my head:

Grease is oil mixed with a thickener. The thickener varies depending on the application.

If you were going to experiment with grease in a crock pot I would look to stay under the smoke point of the grease and under a temp that would break down the thickener.

Perhaps using just oil in your crock pot would be favorable to grease since the heated oil with the lower surface tension (from the heat) would flow around the pins and rollers better and may flush out contaminants. I'm assuming that's what you are after but I don't think the thickener from the grease would ever make it into the chain.
Quote Reply
Re: Hot Grease Chain [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
The original grease is slow.

Grease is the word

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply