Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hookless Rims - What kind of tires
Quote | Reply
Thinking of buying some hookless rims but it isn't clear whether you use clincher tires or tubeless with these. Anyone know? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Hookless Rims - What kind of tires [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What rim and width? What pressure are you hoping to run? Lower pressures on wider rims you can get away with a little more, higher pressures and you may want to stay with a true tubeless ready tire.
Need some more details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use both/either. There is still a hook with hookless rims.
Quote Reply
Re: Hookless Rims - What kind of tires [Nazgul350r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nazgul350r wrote:
Use both/either. There is still a hook with hookless rims.

Umm, no there is not.
There is usually a beadlock lip on the base of the rim but no hook and usually lower rim walls.
Quote Reply
Re: Hookless Rims - What kind of tires [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have worded it better. They do not have hooks in the traditionally way, there is a small channel that the tire "hooks" into now. This is from Alto.

“It essentially came down to the profile of the tire bed and making that channel so that the air pressure wouldn’t be able to lift the tire over the sidewall,” says CEO Bobby Sweeting. “So it’s the height of the sidewall and the depth of that channel that the bead locks into so the pressure is pushing the tire outward against the sidewall and not upward over the sidewall.”
Quote Reply
Re: Hookless Rims - What kind of tires [Nazgul350r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nazgul350r wrote:
I should have worded it better. They do not have hooks in the traditionally way, there is a small channel that the tire "hooks" into now. This is from Alto.

“It essentially came down to the profile of the tire bed and making that channel so that the air pressure wouldn’t be able to lift the tire over the sidewall,” says CEO Bobby Sweeting. “So it’s the height of the sidewall and the depth of that channel that the bead locks into so the pressure is pushing the tire outward against the sidewall and not upward over the sidewall.”

No clincher tyre will engage with that lip, and the clincher bead is designed to engage with a standard rim hook which is at a larger diameter, so your advise to use any type of tyre is simply dangerous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, so do I have to use a tubeless tire?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:
That won't work either. THis seems like a design that was invented over a few (too many) beers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:

My only experience with hookless is Enve’s SES 4.5 AR and they recommend only tubeless tires whether running them with tubes or tubeless. See tire recommendations here for examples: https://enve.com/products/ses-4-5-ar/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely tubeless tires only.
The rim manufacturer should specify minimum tire width and maximum pressure, as Enve do with their 4.5 AR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Nazgul350r wrote:

No clincher tyre will engage with that lip, and the clincher bead is designed to engage with a standard rim hook which is at a larger diameter, so your advise to use any type of tyre is simply dangerous.

"https://altocycling.com/...ducts/ccx28-clincher"

Alto makes hookless disc rims and states to use standard or tubeless clinches.
Quote Reply
Re: Hookless Rims - What kind of tires [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually it works fine. Roval and ENVE were some of the first to build hookless mtb rims and more recently it has move to road and gravel designs like Alto’s & Mavic’s newest. It’s generally a disc brake and tubeless design such as the 4.5AR noted, which was one introduced two years ago.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Oct 20, 18 7:37
Quote Reply