Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Homemade discwheel
Quote | Reply
First I got hold of a 1mm ABS sheet. Big enough for me to draw the circle I needed.

To find the size of the circle, I messured the distance from where the nippel sits in the rim, to the center of the hub of the wheel. Remember it is different from the drive side to none drive side. Then I messure how big a hole I need in the center.

Draw the hole thing on to a piece of thick paper. Cut a line to allow the paper to get in to cone shape.

Test fit, and redo until happy. Better to make the perfect template befor cutting the ABS.

Draw the circle on to the ABS sheet, with a thin marker. Cut the circle, with a pair of scissors. Cut the slit, and testfit. When happy, tape the cone, take of the cone, and draw the triangle you have to cut away.

Put the cone on the wheels again, use some painter tape on the outside of the cone. So the ABS slug don't seap through.

The ABS sloug is made from acetone and ABS mixed together to a thick paste. A couple of days before. Stored in a glass jar with a lid.

Then use the sloug on the inside of the wheel. In my first attempt to melt the to side together I used to much of the sloug. And the disc bagan to melt to much and warp. So I had to start over. Unfortunately I don't have picture of what I dit to solve the problem. But I took some painters tape and sat it parallel to the slit, so the ABS sloug would not spread so much. See the result in the picture with the magnets.

When I was happy with the fitt, I placed small neodymium magnets on the disc, remember to check the orientation of the magnets. And remember to space them equally and precise, so the disc I balanced, and don't place them the same place as the spokes.

I use some electrical tape to make sure the disc don't rotate, and as extra security.

Quote Reply
Re: Homemade discwheel [mebwessel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool great job
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diggin' it and the bike! Looks great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool—I like your pictures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job. (I used Velcro instead of magnets in my DIY disc but that’s double the work)

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, I was surprised your gluing method however I am also surprised for your felt have spesh shiv's fuselage inside main triangle.. How did you do that? Could you provide some explanation? Thanks in advance!

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Homemade discwheel [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have some pictures from the project. I started by holding the fuselage up against the side of the bike so I had an idea of ​​where to cut.

I ended up cutting about 4cm off the bottom.

the bracket is cut to size at the bottom, and then spacers are used to get at fit, when the fuselage was mounted

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Let me know when you have built a disc wheel
and I'll come back to the thread ;-)

Nice wheel cover and storage solution. Well done.

Quote | Reply
Man the magnets are genius, that would have saved major headaches on my last cover.
Quote Reply